Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success 2-3 yrs post op?

I'm curious if people are very hungry a few years out? I attended a support group meeting and I did hear how hungry some people were and most were between 1-3 yrs out. The nurse running the meeting seemed to think it was what they were eating. i.e. not getting enough Protein and eating too much sugar. So for those of you out 2+ years, are you just as hungry as you were before the surgery but can't eat as much? Do you find that following same type of plan as nutrionist helps with hunger. How tough is it too maintain. Do most find that you don't loose past the honeymoon phase. I keep hearing about how critical it is to maximize weight loss during the 1st year.

I know I'm a bit ahead of myself here since my surgery is set for Nov 30th but I'm trying to prepare mentally for long-term. TIA

I am two years out and I can tell you from my own experiences that I am not as hungry as I was before. Now I have noticed a difference during the times I have strayed away from my diet routine, that I do seem more hungry. just from my own experience I think the nurse running the group is correct. If I stay on track I find myself less hungry, which makes me think there is something to the addicting properties of sugar. Maybe not a physical addiction but at least a physiological one.

For the past week I have been ill, typical ear, throat, & nose stuff. The main diet recommended for these time is usually Soup. I lived on ramen, chicken noodle, and an assortment of Pacifc brand soup cartons. I went over my daily calories every damn day and my Protein was abysmally low. Easily only a third of my normal intake. And I was starving the entire time.

Carbs break down easily and quickly. Therefore you get hungry again much quicker. I normally have to remind myself to eat when I am busy because the dense protein satiates us longer.And the fact that the Soups main volume is Water, the carbs that were there we not even in sufficient quantity to keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.

Oh, here is a tip for when you get to the part post-op where you want to know how to eat soup since you shouldn't mix liquids and solids. When you are sick and no one is around, drink the broth first. When all that is left is the solids, eat that.

2 hours ago, Waler said:

I am two years out and I can tell you from my own experiences that I am not as hungry as I was before. Now I have noticed a difference during the times I have strayed away from my diet routine, that I do seem more hungry. just from my own experience I think the nurse running the group is correct. If I stay on track I find myself less hungry, which makes me think there is something to the addicting properties of sugar. Maybe not a physical addiction but at least a physiological one.

Thanks @Waler So would you say it's easier to stay on track due to the surgery? I'm hoping that's the case.

10 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

For the past week I have been ill, typical ear, throat, & nose stuff. The main diet recommended for these time is usually Soup. I lived on ramen, chicken noodle, and an assortment of Pacifc brand Soup cartons. I went over my daily calories every damn day and my Protein was abysmally low. Easily only a third of my normal intake. And I was starving the entire time.

Carbs break down easily and quickly. Therefore you get hungry again much quicker. I normally have to remind myself to eat when I am busy because the dense Protein satiates us longer.And the fact that the Soups main volume is Water, the carbs that were there we not even in sufficient quantity to keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.

Oh, here is a tip for when you get to the part post-op where you want to know how to eat soup since you shouldn't mix liquids and solids. When you are sick and no one is around, drink the broth first. When all that is left is the solids, eat that.

Thanks @BigViffer I never thought about the liquid / food part of soup. That all makes sense... I just ordered Unjury chicken Protein Powder which I guess would be a good option.

I am 6 years out, i definately experience hunger and managing it is very much about food choices. My experience is that maintenance got tougher, in terms of hunger, at about 3 years post op.

As far as restriction goes,i can eat alot Compared to early years-post op, but if i follow the guidelines I don't feel the need to.

I'm 3 years out, and I get hungry, very hungry. I eat a lot of junk, but I get ridiculously hungry within an hour or two no matter if I eat dense Protein or a bag of chips. I can stave off the hunger as long as I don't eat. Once I've had my first taste of food for the day, I feel like I'm starving for the rest of the day. I typically don't eat until dinner for this reason. I'm not having any problems keeping the weight off. I am at 112 right now, but will go as high as 117 and as low as 110.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm four years out.

Yup, I get hungry but not like pre op. And the more simple carbs/sugar I eat the hungrier I get.

11 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

I'm four years out.

Yup, I get hungry but not like pre op. And the more simple carbs/sugar I eat the hungrier I get.

Oh bummer @jess9395 I was hoping that shutting down the hunger hormone ghrelin, would help long term. At least that what was explained to me during one of the first group meetings by one of the surgeons.

I guess that is just a theory b/c I'm hearing from a lot of hungry people out longer than one year.

I am coming up on 3 years, I am no where near the eating machine I was prior. I literally would be stuffed and thinking about the next meal. I didn't want to "let down" my wife by not taking seconds or having something at my in-laws because they made something for me. Now I no longer have to bother faking interest, I'll just say that I have to save my calories or I over full from something prior to getting there. Works out well for me since everyone knows I had the sleeve.

25 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

I am coming up on 3 years, I am no where near the eating machine I was prior. I literally would be stuffed and thinking about the next meal. I didn't want to "let down" my wife by not taking seconds or having something at my in-laws because they made something for me. Now I no longer have to bother faking interest, I'll just say that I have to save my calories or I over full from something prior to getting there. Works out well for me since everyone knows I had the sleeve.

Good to hear @BigViffer !! Thanks. Hoping for the same...

2 hours ago, CowgirlJane said:

I am 6 years out, i definately experience hunger and managing it is very much about food choices. My experience is that maintenance got tougher, in terms of hunger, at about 3 years post op.

As far as restriction goes,i can eat alot Compared to early years-post op, but if i follow the guidelines I don't feel the need to.

Thanks for your feedback @CowgirlJane I guess it will always be somewhat of a battle but it's good to hear you are a success 6 yrs out and rocking your goal!!! Any other issues (i.e. nausea, reflux, etc?)

12 hours ago, Lainey H said:

I'm curious if people are very hungry a few years out? I attended a support group meeting and I did hear how hungry some people were and most were between 1-3 yrs out. The nurse running the meeting seemed to think it was what they were eating. i.e. not getting enough Protein and eating too much sugar. So for those of you out 2+ years, are you just as hungry as you were before the surgery but can't eat as much? Do you find that following same type of plan as nutrionist helps with hunger. How tough is it too maintain. Do most find that you don't loose past the honeymoon phase.

I know I'm a bit ahead of myself here since my surgery is set for Nov 30th but I'm trying to prepare mentally for long-term. TIA

I'm at the dreaded third year out. I can gain easily and the weight comes off much slower.

After the gym I am seriously hungry. I eat a great healthy meal. Lots of Protein. I still have days that I battle with head hunger and night snacking. I keep a tray of raw vegetables and dip in the refrigerator. I know it's head hunger when I try to talk myself into other options besides my vegetables.

(1) are you just as hungry as you were before the surgery but can't eat as much? Hunger is not an ongoing never ending feeling for me. True hunger I eat my healthy meal the hunger subsides. I eat six small meals a day. I keep healthy options for salty and sweet cravings on hand. Head hunger sucks. It will pass.

(2) Do you find that following same type of plan as nutritionist helps with hunger? The hunger you feel is manageable. High protein and vegetable Fiber will help keep you feeling full. I follow my plan and I still feel hunger now and then. Sometimes it's I had forgotten to eat. Sometimes it's a craving/head hunger.

(3) How tough is it too maintain? I maintained effortlessly in my first two years. My third year it has changed. I can eat off plan on a weekend and gain quickly. I get back on plan and the weight loss is slow. I have had a 10 to 15 pound gain that I constantly battle. If my weight goes up. I get back to eating basics and workout like a beast to get it back down.

(4) Do most find that you don't lose past the honeymoon phase? Yes, I lost after the honeymoon phase. My honeymoon phase was the first months when the weight loss was fast and I had my best restriction from surgery. I had my first large stall in month three. Honeymoon phase was over. I realized that I had to put in the work to get to my goal.

I keep hearing about how critical it is to maximize weight loss during the 1st year.

Take advantage of your first golden year. You have your best restriction for faster weight loss. You can continue to lose after the year. The weight loss will be harder and slower.

1 hour ago, Katya said:

I'm 3 years out, and I get hungry, very hungry. I eat a lot of junk, but I get ridiculously hungry within an hour or two no matter if I eat dense Protein or a bag of chips. I can stave off the hunger as long as I don't eat. Once I've had my first taste of food for the day, I feel like I'm starving for the rest of the day. I typically don't eat until dinner for this reason. I'm not having any problems keeping the weight off. I am at 112 right now, but will go as high as 117 and as low as 110.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

That sounds a little rough. Do you get enough Protein? Does it affect anything else like Hair loss, etc. Awesome job on keeping the weight off.

6 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

I'm at the dreaded third year out. I can gain easily and the weight comes off much slower.

After the gym I am seriously hungry. I eat a great healthy meal. Lots of Protein. I still have days that I battle with head hunger and night snacking. I keep a tray of raw vegetables and dip in the refrigerator. I know it's head hunger when I try to talk myself into other options besides my vegetables.

(1) are you just as hungry as you were before the surgery but can't eat as much? Hunger is not an ongoing never ending feeling for me. True hunger I eat my healthy meal the hunger subsides. I eat six small meals a day. I keep healthy options for salty and sweet cravings on hand.

(2) Do you find that following same type of plan as nutritionist helps with hunger? The hunger you feel is manageable. High Protein and vegetable Fiber will help keep you feeling full. I follow my plan and I still feel hunger now and then. Sometimes it's I had forgotten to eat. Sometimes it's a craving/head hunger.

(3) How tough is it too maintain? I maintained effortlessly in my first two years. My third year it has changed. I can eat off plan on a weekend and gain quickly. I get back on plan and the weight loss is slow. I have had a 10 to 15 pound gain that I constantly battle. If my weight goes up. I get back to eating basics and workout like a beast to get it back down.

(4) Do most find that you don't lose past the honeymoon phase? Yes, I lost after the honeymoon phase. My honeymoon phase was the first months when the weight loss was fast and I had my best restriction from surgery. I had my first large stall in month three. Honeymoon phase was over. I realized that I had to put in the work to get to my goal.

I keep hearing about how critical it is to maximize weight loss during the 1st year.

Take advantage of your first golden year. You have your best restriction for faster weight loss. You can continue to lose after the year. THe weight loss will be harder and slower.

Thanks @jenn1 So as most say it is a long time battle with managing the foods you eat and the weight gain. I guess it a big jump start and most keep most of their weight off but it's not easy. I guess they have so much vested probably or have better tools to cope with urges. I mean realistically I never really hungry now but love to eat and crave sweets big time. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how I will be successful long term when I have lost my weight (70lbs) before but have not been able to keep it off. I appreciate your detailed input and congrats on success!!