Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost a year out and scared...

Ok sooooo 12/22 makes my year surgiversary!!! My start weight was 345 and I’m currently at 188!! 157 lbs gone in less than a year! Ok so reason why I’m scared is because I am about a year out and can obviously eat more and although I stopped eating bread Pasta and rice. This Halloween has tested me. chocolate is my HUGE weakness and I had a small piece which I didn’t dump to and now I’m scared that i will continue to make a habit of this and think a piece every now and then isn’t going to hurt me and eventually gain weight. I’m comfortable where I’m at and happy with the progress I’ve made so far. Any advice on how to stop killer cravings or head hunger/temptations? I eat 3 meals a day usually Protein based salads and or veggies with protein. And I occasionally may have a protein filled snack or some fruit once or twice throughout the day. My calories are at about 1000 a day and I started to slow down on my weight loss. I would hate to start to gain because of his temptation of mine. HELP!

There are two phases to weight loss surgery - the Weight Loss Phase and the Maintenance phase. The strategies for each phase is different. This is the approach I used in the Maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf It is common to have some limited weight gain after gastric bypass surgery. They call it a 20 pound bounce. The important thing is not let go beyond it. According to my nutritionist, meals (at one year post op and beyond) should consist of equal parts of Protein, fats and carbs after the first couple years post-op. Snacks should be limited to primarily whole food options: nuts, natural nut butters, fruits, veggies, boiled eggs, string cheese, yogurt with berries and almonds, tuna pouches. Avoid processed packaged foods as much as possible.

Before surgery, I had constant hunger. When I was eating a meal, my mind was thinking what I would have for my next meal. It was incessant. Now the interesting thing that occurred after my RNY surgery was that I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to plan my minuscule meals because I wasn't really hungry. This condition does not last forever but for about a year and then the hunger returns. It just isn't as strong as before.

I also had a sweet tooth before surgery. chocolate by itself isn't the primary problem but the sugar is. During the winter I normally drink a cup of hot cocoa. But it must be the No Sugar Added variety. Also Adkins makes a number of chocolate treats that contain artifical sweeteners that might satisfy your sweet tooth.

it's difficult - cravings are real! I try to eat a lot of Protein, Fiber, and healthy fats (and stay within my calorie limit, of course) to keep myself from getting too hungry. But yes, after the honeymoon period ends, it becomes a lifelong challenge. Just keep reminding yourself who much better you look and feel after losing all that weight, and how you don't ever want to gain it back!!!

I’m almost 10 months post op. Frankly, I give in to my cravings sometimes, just to keep myself from becoming “obsessed” with that said craving again. The good part is, I’m fine after one or two bites. Before surgery I’d consume ALOT more than that. I’m scared to gain too but when I account my exercise & good eating from the whole day, one bite won’t kill me. It’s about balance & knowing your limits. Which I believe what we’ll have to know and deal with the rest of our lives now.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 130 lbs, 10 lbs away from new goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

9 hours ago, CocoNina said:

I’m almost 10 months post op. Frankly, I give in to my cravings sometimes, just to keep myself from becoming “obsessed” with that said craving again. The good part is, I’m fine after one or two bites. Before surgery I’d consume ALOT more than that. I’m scared to gain too but when I account my exercise & good eating from the whole day, one bite won’t kill me. It’s about balance & knowing your limits. Which I believe what we’ll have to know and deal with the rest of our lives now.

Sadly, I don't want to click "like." :( It must feel terrifying?!? Thank you for sharing your inner fears and I'm really happy you recognize the danger. I haven't even had surgery and posts like your's are making me be hyper vigilant and aware of identifying the triggers now--before surgery. And still, I know that no matter the preparation, the "real thing" will have my head spinning and leave me feeling like I'm teetering with control. I won't know how to truly deal with it until that time comes. ((hugs)) Huge hugs to you my friend!

Congrats on your fantastic weight loss!! And it's only been 1 year! You still have 6 months left on the full honeymoon period (from my surgeon)--so you could lose even more weight if you chose!

Tell me, how do you "give in" and what kind of cravings do you have--specifically? Is there any "reasoning" with your cravings? Can you distract yourself? Can you make reasonable low carb/low sugar substitutes and feel satisfied? I ask, because I too sometimes crave chocolate even though I don't have a big sweet tooth. Mine is a crunch salty tooth lol!

The research shows that every time you give those cravings a fix, it firmly entrenches it in your pleasure centers. So if you want to guarantee you will always be pushing the rock uphill and experience cravings...just feed them what they demand. It's as powerful as an opiate response. Swearsies. ((hugs))

I don't think that life should be a white knuckle experience. I do believe that our life is easier when we're able to control and make a rational choice to eat x, y, or z and have adequately prepared to do it.

At 188lbs I can't understand deliberately trying to slow your weightloss. The honeymoon phase doesn't last forever. I'm 186 and trying to lose as rapidly as possible.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Tell me, how do you "give in" and what kind of cravings do you have--specifically? Is there any "reasoning" with your cravings? Can you distract yourself? Can you make reasonable low carb/low sugar substitutes and feel satisfied? I ask, because I too sometimes crave chocolate even though I don't have a big sweet tooth. Mine is a crunch salty tooth lol!

Thank you.

Sometimes I give in because of habit. I was the type (pre -op) to always need desert or something sweet after dinner. Right now I’m on my period, so that’s another reason why I give into something sweet. But the difference between then (pre-op) and now (post-op) is that I eat a significantly small amount compared to before. I take 2 or 3 bites and I’m done. I eat low or no carb throughout the day, so I’m good with the eating. Low or no sugar chocolate just doesn’t do it for me. I rather have the real deal in a significantly small amount.

You haven’t had surgery yet so don’t be so fearful. Just focus on your recovery. Your stomach and taste buds will change after surgery. I don’t binge on bad foods and sweets like I used to. I enjoy eating healthier and it fills me up unlike before. The benefits outweigh the tiny fact that I still love sweets. I still exercise and I still lose weight.

There are some pretty awesome keto/low carb bloggers out there with sugar free sweets that rival the real thing. While you still have the metabolic advantage going of your honeymoon period, I'd sure check them out though, and see if you can find "healthy-er-ish" alternatives. Cuz God, that would be terrifying to gain all your weight back, just because you can't not eat sweets after dinner!

I keep reading at some point, our appetite does come back, and that our ability to eat more increases with time too...I'm pretty terrified I will change my anatomy, be able to lose it all, then because I won't stay diligent enough, will gain some or all of it back! So I'm working like a one-armed-paperhanger to try to build new, healthy habits. Two of those things involve breaking up permanently with sugar and also breaking up with crunchy, carby, salty Snacks.

((hugs)) And glad it's working for you right now!!

There are some pretty awesome keto/low carb bloggers out there with sugar free sweets that rival the real thing. While you still have the metabolic advantage going of your honeymoon period, I'd sure check them out though, and see if you can find "healthy-er-ish" alternatives. Cuz God, that would be terrifying to gain all your weight back, just because you can't not eat sweets after dinner!
I keep reading at some point, our appetite does come back, and that our ability to eat more increases with time too...I'm pretty terrified I will change my anatomy, be able to lose it all, then because I won't stay diligent enough, will gain some or all of it back! So I'm working like a one-armed-paperhanger to try to build new, healthy habits. Two of those things involve breaking up permanently with sugar and also breaking up with crunchy, carby, salty Snacks.< br> ((hugs)) And glad it's working for you right now!!

That’s good. Yes, everyone is different & if that works for you then go for it your way.

I try and limit my sugar but more for health then weight loss. I still have a treat 1 or 2 a week. I'm 2 and 1/2 years post op it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I eat clean most of the time but I think it's good to try and learn balance and not go to extremes with dieting.