Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op: How long until you ate real food?

I got the gastric sleeve done and I’ve been on liquids for 5 weeks (two weeks pre-op. 3 weeks post-op) then I’m gonna be on one week of puréed, one week of soft then back to “regular” food.

I’ve seen some people say they’re back to

normal food in like a week I saw one person say 3 days!

Just out of curiosity.

What was your diet like post-op diet like?

No pre-op diet. 1 week full liquids, 4 weeks pureed, 4 week soft ..then normal. A lot of variety in the diff plans for sure.

I got the gastric sleeve done and I’ve been on liquids for 5 weeks (two weeks pre-op. 3 weeks post-op) then I’m gonna be on one week of puréed, one week of soft then back to “regular” food.
I’ve seen some people say they’re back to
normal food in like a week I saw one person say 3 days!
Just out of curiosity.

No pre-op diet here. Very generous post-op diet.

IMG_20171030_192247789.jpg

IMG_20171030_191709744.jpg

IMG_20171030_191917386.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

IMG_20171030_192015751.jpg

1 hour ago, Rose400491 said:

About 10-11 days of Clear Liquids ... clear Soups, Protein Shakes, non-lumpy vegetable juices, clear fruit juices etc. That was not too bad. It went well.

Now in second week of two weeks of purees. I'm pureeing everything in the blender ... 50g-70g chicken breast pieces or fresh fish or rare roast beef or refried Beans or canned fish. To make these easy to blend and to eat, I add 50mL-100mL of egg whites to the blender. No problems judging the relative "runny-ness" of anything yet. I also have a lot of pouches of yoghurt and I round out some days with pouches of high grade baby/toddler food. (The latter are brilliant these days ... NOT like the salty, shitty canned and bottled baby foods of the 1950s and 1960s.

My review with the surgeon, the psychologist, the counsellor and the dietitian is next Monday. I am very likely to go back onto small serves of regular foods ... but foods with a higher per unit Protein concentration.

I am looking forward to scrambled eggs, poached eggs, 50g-70g chicken breast pieces that have not been through a blender. Other meats too. Drained baked beans minus that sugary sweet Tomato muck.

I am also ready for my half cup of steel cut oats for Breakfast.

I'll probably steam smaller amounts of the veges I used to eat (minus the hot chips/french-fries). I could even puree them while hot and make a nice vege sauce for my meats.

My taste buds have changed and I will, in the future, I suspect, want to be way less of a dairy consumer. I like unsweetened almond milk in my coffee or mixed in protein shakes or whey drinks these days.

I have lots more thoughts on how I'll be in six months time.

26 minutes ago, TheNewMrsR said:

No pre-op diet here. Very generous post-op diet.

Your printed pages are NOT exactly like mine but they have a lot of similarity. Thanks for sharing.

Normal food 5 weeks post. Usually 6 weeks on my plan but during a face to face with my surgeon he said go ahead and move to normal food.

I had 2 weeks of Protein Drinks preop and 4 weeks of the same Postop. I didn't have any problems with either because preop I was afraid he would cancel my surgery and after I was so afraid to eat. I just wanted to be successful and knew this was my last chance to get it right. Look towards your prize and KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks post op. I just started pureed foods on Monday. I couldn't have handled foods any earlier. I still keep Jello around, and my Protein drinks. I will be on the pureed for 2 weeks and then go to soft for 2 weeks. After that I will be on Mechanical for 3 weeks gradually progressing to normal food items from week 2 into 3. I though why I saw this, "Man why so slow!" Now, living it, I understand why. I have to take things very slow when adding new foods. It will take awhile getting back to actually eating all foods that I used to.

Clear liquids for 1 week...Full liquids for 1 week...Pureed foods for 2 weeks...Soft foods for 4 weeks. I was then allowed whatever I wanted. The soft foods stage was progressive. Each week, I was allowed to have new foods.

I had 4 weeks pureed (ramekin sized), 4 weeks soft and then normal. Tried solid food about a week earlier than I should have but it was not a success! Felt as if I had eaten a golf ball. Lesson learnt!

Our plan combined what most have as their first 2,3 or 4 phases (liquids, purees, mushes and soft proteins) into a single initial phase for the first month, progressing as individual tolerances dictate, with everything else added in after that according to tolerance. We had things like yogurt and scrambled eggs on the hospital menu along with the usual liquids - some can handle more than others depending upon inflammation, etc. The pureed lettuce they served put us off pureeing anything after that!

Their general finding has been that patients do better as they move toward real food, but pace was largely dictated by individual need rather than a strict calendar. Thankfuily, it also negated the need for extensive liquid dieting pre-op to get used to the post-op world.

It's all a big YMMV thing.

My program was like this

Pre op diet - What ever I wanted, as long as I lost 3-5kg
Day before surgery - Normal breakfast, puree for the rest of the day
Day of surgery - nothing
Day 1 post op - clear liquids
Day 2 post op - thick liquids/Puree
Day 3 post op - Puree/soft food
Day 4 post op and until 6 weeks - Normal food with limitations. BUT everything has to be chewed until puree.
After 6 weeks - No limitations

Mine was 4 day pre-op diet consisting of shakes for breakfast and lunch and a sensible dinner and then 3 days Clear Liquids. 1-2 weeks full liquid. 2 weeks pureed and then 4 weeks soft solids and then back on regular diet.

been moving to "real foods" since about 3 days prior to Thanksgiving - - 'thankfully!!!