Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why can't I see my progress :(?

I'm 50 pounds down in about a month but yet when I look in the mirror I don't feel as if anything has changed? I still feel huge .

Has anyone else experienced this?

we are always the last ones to see our progress because we do not really feel any different. Take out some of the cloths you had when you were 50 pounds heavier then step in front of the mirror

I have lost about 80 pounds and people are just now noticing. My pants still fit that I wore pre surgery. The problem is that they were tight then and really baggy now. I know I forget how tight they were. I went and tried on clothes and found I could wear smaller sizes. I also started setting non scale victories. I am able to walk a mile in 14 minutes. You are doing great! 50 pounds is amazing!!!

Wearing clothes that fit will help you visible see the progress. Just because the old clothes still work doesn't mean they are the correct size.

Did you take a "before" picture? Take another picture today and look at it side beside. When I can't see progress in the mirror, It is often more obvious in photos.

All my clothes I had pre surgery fit despite 60+ weight loss. They are really big but I still wear them. I see progress in pictures even if the scale barely moves. Definitely take pictures and compare with that and there’s no doubt you’ll see progress.

Take pictures regularly and then look at one pre surgery and a current one- that's how I first noticed it!

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 178.2 GW 135

You most likely will always see yourself as the person you once were. Im down to basically my goal weight and still dont see myself as others do. AllI can say is do split screen photos of your before and after...It will show then.

I'm 50 pounds down in about a month but yet when I look in the mirror I don't feel as if anything has changed? I still feel huge .
Has anyone else experienced this?

Your problem is that day to day perception of oneself does not change much. You think you are not seeing or feeling an expected quantum.

So, start taking a photo one day per week in the same T-shirt/top and the same slacks/pants. Wait about three weeks and line the pics up ... the change should be more noticeable over 21-28 days.

Also ... watch for non-scale victories. Belt notches closing in, loose arse area in your slacks/pants.

Take pictures and do side by sides. That really helps me.

Also buy clothing that fits because it will really help your confidence. I've also found that there is larger difference between plus sizes so I went down sizes slower when I was in plus than I did once I got into straight sizes.

Lol I think I'm the opposite to you. I used to be thin and keep forgetting I'm big and don't even really notice it all that much in the mirror. It's the photos that horrify me and bring me back to reality! So yeah photos sound like the key advice here

Sent from my F5121 using BariatricPal mobile app

When you do THIS, it puts it in persepctive for you..

22713279_1634856709905035_5919786118636489665_o.jpg

31 minutes ago, JerseyJules said:

it puts it in perspective for you.

Massive change. Well done.

I'm three weeks post-op today and just hit 20kg [44.1 pounds] off since I met the surgeon; 6kg [13 pounds] since the op.

Thanks for the inspiring photo.

13 minutes ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Massive change. Well done.

I'm three weeks post-op today and just hit 20kg [44.1 pounds] off since I met the surgeon; 6kg [13 pounds] since the op.

Thanks for the inspiring photo.

Thank you!! make sure and check out my youtube channel, Jerseyjules on youtube..I give some good advice!

It took me a long time to notice the difference. I went on a diet before surgery and when I lost about 80 lbs. then I started to see, especially in my face. Alot of my old clothes fit, but i use them for around the house or to bed. The before pics are a definite! I was just sleeved on 10/17. Good luck to you

SW:350 (11/2015)
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:250 (officially down by 100 lbs. since the start of my journey!)
GW:175