Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mommys/ Breastfeeders post-op?

Hello! I'm 2 weeks post op with a 4 month old baby girl and an almost 3 year old boy. My 4 month old was exclusively breast fed up until the day of surgery. I tried to pump and dump after surgery until I was completely off medications (1 week) BUT got lazy and did not keep up, thus my supply went down! My baby is being supplemented with formula as I'm desperately trying to get my supply back up to what it used to be. Right now she only breastfeeds at night but I'm hoping we can go back to being ebf soon.

Anyways, being a mom of a baby and toddler and just having had surgery has been hard. Not only keeping up with them and all their needs, but the fact that I still need to cook real food for my toddler and not be tempted to eat any of his leftovers like I used to!

On the plus side though, my baby and I will be experimenting with pureed foods at the same time so that kills 2 birds with one stone. Thats sort of my story, hoping to hear from more mommys!

***Before anyone makes any judgements or tries to give medical advice, I have done extensive research and have spoken directly with my doctors about breastfeeding post op and they have given me their approval to continue doing so... So thank you for any of your concerns, but they are unwarranted!***

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi :) have you got a baby wrap ? Or baby carrier. My Kids are 13 months apart I found this very helpful so I can feed on demand.

If you want to get back to exclusive. When baby is having bottled milk during the day you need to pump so your body knows to produce the milk your baby is having. Look into pace feeding your baby will be used to recieving milk fast. One ounce wait then another ounce. But start swapping out feeds . warm showers and breast masage help stimulate milk supply dream feeds. Removing pacifier if you have one so baby can comfort nurse to help stimulate your supply.

can I ask consider in breastfeeding mums need 500 extra calories for nutrients in milk and to keep up supply with not being able to eat much were they not worried you would dry up ? Not judging or concerned lol. Just curious

Edited by dreamingsmall

I would delay solids till 6 months if you already have supply issues and trying to get back to exclusive breastfeeding. She is not likely to be interested if on solids. It seems better to get milk on track then solids not both at the same time. But that's just what I think you know what's best.

I don't have help with the breastfeeding as my children were formula fed. I have a 2 and 4 year old so I know how tiring it can be taking care of kids post surgery. Mine were 1 and 3 when I had my surgery. The hardest part for sure was feeding my kids when I was on the liquid-pureed diet but it does get easier. We joke now that my kids eat larger portions than me but they love their new, more active mommy.

I don't have help with the breastfeeding as my children were formula fed. I have a 2 and 4 year old so I know how tiring it can be taking care of kids post surgery. Mine were 1 and 3 when I had my surgery. The hardest part for sure was feeding my kids when I was on the liquid-pureed diet but it does get easier. We joke now that my kids eat larger portions than me but they love their new, more active mommy.

Yes! I know my kids will be so much more happier with a more active, healthy, and energetic mommy! Part of the reason I got the surgery was for them. I was so lethargic and unmotivated due to my weight and I know I needed to make a change for them. I was also constantly binge eating in front of my son and I absolutely do not want him or any of my children to carry on my bad habits. I want to be an inspiration for them and a healthy role model.

Hi [emoji4] have you got a baby wrap ? Or baby carrier. My Kids are 13 months apart I found this very helpful so I can feed on demand.
If you want to get back to exclusive. When baby is having bottled milk during the day you need to pump so your body knows to produce the milk your baby is having. Look into pace feeding your baby will be used to recieving milk fast. One ounce wait then another ounce. But start swapping out feeds . warm showers and breast masage help stimulate milk supply dream feeds. Removing pacifier if you have one so baby can comfort nurse to help stimulate your supply.
can I ask consider in breastfeeding mums need 500 extra calories for nutrients in milk and to keep up supply with not being able to eat much were they not worried you would dry up ? Not judging or concerned lol. Just curious

Yes I do! Haven't worn my baby yet since surgery though because I wasn't sure how it would be with the incisions healing but I may start wearing her again now that I am almost pain free. My breasts are finally starting to feel full again and I am feeding as often as I can, admittedly not enough during the day still. But nonetheless my supply is there! I know I need to continue pumping get to where I was before but I absolutely hate it!

I did discuss with my doctor concerns about calorie intake affecting milk supply but he didn't seem concerned about that. He made it clear though that my Water intake would be most important. His main concern was whether or not my milk would be nutritious enough so he reccomended that i supplement at least once a day until I'm on a more substantial diet. I do think the main factor that caused my milk supply to go down was the fact that I was not pumping, I maybe pumped twice a day depending on how engorged I was... So basically I sabotaged myself.

There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding post op, after all how do women who are starving and malnourished in third world countries able to still breastfeed their babies? And their babies don't look malnourished? My doctor said it was fine for me. I have a five month old. The Problem I had though was that I couldn't get much Water in and my supply too diminished. So I let it go. I was soo tired and I think it was from pumping and the surgery taking a toll. I am sure If I kept pumping by now that I am getting more fluids, my supply would have returned. Anyways, my baby is on my freezer stash now and I am no longer breastfeeding. It's very possible but challenging. I just wasn't able to keep up. But I know it can be done. Also I found that I had more foremilk for some reason than hind milk when I pumped the first week. My milk used to be fatty and creamy but it changed after surgery. Weird.