Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing this right?

I had my sleeve on July 18th, 2017. I am 9 weeks post op. My highest weight was 222, surgery weight day I weighed in at 210 and I am 190.8. I have been following the diet to a T. My sister who had the sleeve surgery done a few years ago eats cheetos, drinks soda and ate crap food and the weight just FELL off. She started at 225 and is now at 143.

For me, yesterday I had a Protein Shake, two Quest bars and a few bites of chicken salad. In total about 750-800 calories. My doctor told me to stay between 800 and 1000 calories but the weight is sloooooooooow to come off.

I have read others that are eating between 300-400 calories a day and it's working but my doctor says NO to that as it throws your body into starvation mode. Can y'all tell me your input on this? Should I lower my calories anyway??

I'm feeling very discouraged today and really don't know if I should be eating more or less...

Thanks for your help!

My starting weight was 218. It took me 17+ months to lose 100 pounds and reach my goal weight. Most of my losses were single digit, in the 1-to 7 pounds per month range.

No one cares how slowly or rapidly you lose except you. The important aspect of my journey is the fact that I maintain a low body weight range of 118 to 123 pounds.

People like your sister who never changed their habits often end up regaining several years down the line.

I agree with your physician...now is not the time to decrease your intake. I increased my caloric intake in a stepwise pattern every few months. Now I maintain on 2000 to 2300 calories daily. I'm dancing on a cloud about being a small-framed person who can eat so much without regaining.

On the other hand, many people who kept their intake too low for too long often end up regaining once they eat more than 1200 to 1500 calories. You don't want to be that person in 2 years.

Yes, I was a slower loser. However, the choices I made during the weight loss phase benefited my metabolism for the long term. It's about the long term. This is your personal marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck to you. :)

Wow You are my inspiration! When you were at 9 weeks out do you remember how many calories you were eating per day?

@macaleigh

Well, I am no doctor nor am I a nutritionist so please make sure and get advice from them, professionally. However, I can tell you some things from my own personal experience and what I learned over the past year.

First of all, from your stats, you have lost 20 lbs in 9 weeks. That IS significant, and completely par for the course. You are moving right along and 20 lbs in less than 2 months is a big loss!

As far as your sister goes, without being disrespectful of others choices, I have to say that eating the crap food she is eating raises a lot of questions. Those choices are unhealthy no matter what you weigh. WLS should be a tool for not only weight loss but fitness and general health. Please do yourself a favor and do not look at her choices as a victory. Stick to your plan, a healthier lifestyle, for good.

Everyone has their own journey, and I encourage your follow your high Protein, healthy foods plan. The weight will continue to drop. In the long run, I can almost guarantee that you will look and feel better than anyone who maintains their diet regularly on junk foods.

Best of luck to you and fear not...YOU are on the right path!

I forgot to address the calorie part. I would not restrict your calories. Weight loss can in fact slow to a halt if you go into that starvation mode. Eat what feel right, calorie wise. Sometime a little boost of extra (healthy) calories boosts the weight loss. At 9 weeks post op I was eating between 650-900 calories a day, soft, dense Protein.

Edited by The New Kel

2 minutes ago, macaleigh said:

When you were at 9 weeks out do you remember how many calories you were eating per day?

I was probably eating in the 800 kcal/day range until 4 months out.

I increased my intake in a stair-step pattern: 1000 calories daily at 4 months out, 1200 to 1500 calories daily by 6 months, 1500 calories by 9 months, and 1700 calories a day by 12 months.

I'm now 2.5 years out and eating in the 2000+ range. I also stay physically active to facilitate greater intake and freedom with my food choices.

I'll mention that I don't really track, count or measure. To me, calorie-counting is a remnant of the dieting mentality. Most of us failed at dieting prior to WLS, so I refuse to do it any longer.

I also weigh myself once a month, no more and no less. For me, daily weights provoke anxiety. For others, daily weights provide a sense of comfort and accountability. Your mileage may vary.

Macaleigh,

Although you appear to have an adequate amount of Protein and Fiber there, you don't appear to be really eating anything. I think at 2 months out, you should start getting more of your calories from real food. I think this will help you. I would not drop down to 3-400 calories though. That just is not sustainable in the long run.

Maybe you can replace those Quest bars with an adequate amount of protein and vegetables. I didn't see vegetables in your example. At 6 weeks out, I eat 5 small meals daily totaling 800-1000 calories. 2 of those meals are Premier Protein shakes. One is either an ancient grain with a leafy green or all leafy greens. The other 2 are a combination of some lean protein and vegetables. Possibly 2 oz. meat, and 2 oz. vegetables per sitting.

If I don't meet my calorie goals, I might even have a few strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc. for an early evening snack. Seems like a lot, I know.

I weigh and measure all of my food, so I know I am eating no more than 14 ounces per day along with 2 shakes. When and if I am able to eat a bit more, I will replace one of those Protein Shakes with a meal instead.

Anyway, try to get as much real food in as possible. I think it really helps. Not only that, but you will be starting a new habit of eating things the way you were meant to. As little processed junk as possible. More lean meats, leafy greens and even a small amount of fruit and ancient grains.

Remember, this is a marathon and not a sprint. We will all get there at our own pace. Keep taking one step at a time until you reach that finish line.

Good luck!