Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any light (feather) weights had surgery? Bmi 29-30??

Hi all

I was wondering if there was anyone who has had the gastric sleeve at BMI of approximately 29 to 30.

I'm asking because I currently have a BMI of 29.5-9. Currently weigh196lbs I'm down from 230lbs. I just had a consultation with a doctor who really tried to sell me Lipo instead. I clearly look like a gym gooer ( i run 10ks and half marathons for fun). Just that number on the scale is **** and high blood pressure runs in my family.

I've maintained about 190- 200 for the past four years when I first started my weight loss journey I was able to get to 170. However that was eating next to nothing. for the past year or so and really struggled to maintain my weight and this is with gym five days a week and 1000-1600 calories a day. Im over it all.

Anyway, he stressed that I would really suffer health wise and kept on stressing the importance of Vitamins for 12months+, vomitting etc etc and then closed with he thought it was ethically wrong for him to give me the vertical sleeve and probably shouldve had it at 230.

Now I really do appreciate his honesty and I have seen how the surgery has been a success for many people but I really would like to hear back from lightweights.

how are you finding it? are you too light now? do you regret it?

thank you

Edited by Opp811

2 hours ago, Opp811 said:

Hi all

I was wondering if there was anyone who has had the gastric sleeve at BMI of approximately 29 to 30.

I'm asking because I currently have a BMI of 29.5-9. Currently weigh196lbs I'm down from 230lbs. I just had a consultation with a doctor who really tried to sell me Lipo instead. I clearly look like a gym gooer ( i run 10ks and half marathons for fun). Just that number on the scale is **** and high blood pressure runs in my family.

I've maintained about 190- 200 for the past four years when I first started my weight loss journey I was able to get to 170. However that was eating next to nothing. for the past year or so and really struggled to maintain my weight and this is with gym five days a week and 1000-1600 calories a day. Im over it all.

Anyway, he stressed that I would really suffer health wise and kept on stressing the importance of Vitamins for 12months+, vomitting etc etc and then closed with he thought it was ethically wrong for him to give me the vertical sleeve and probably shouldve had it at 230.

Now I really do appreciate his honesty and I have seen how the surgery has been a success for many people but I really would like to hear back from lightweights.

how are you finding it? are you too light now? do you regret it?

thank you

If you feel the sleeve surgery is worth it for 5 BMI points , then go for it :) Everyone will have there own views on it, but only you know best. How many lbs is it you need to lose till healthy weight? It seems you are pretty good at maintaining loss alot of us are not so bad at losing but bad and keeping it off, it was the case for me.

I was 235 on day of my surgery no regrets, would I have done it at a BMI of 29? Nope, but many people who have a BMI of 50+ Tell me they would not have done it at a BMI of mine :P So we all only know about ourselves.

Your goal is to prevent ill health and I get it , and respect that. If we all did it before we had problems it would have been better for most of us :)

I would really listen to my Dr though.

Edited by dreamingsmall

1 hour ago, dreamingsmall said:

If you feel the sleeve surgery is worth it for 5 BMI points , then go for it :) Everyone will have there own views on it, but only you know best. How many lbs is it you need to lose till healthy weight? It seems you are pretty good at maintaining loss alot of us are not so bad at losing but bad and keeping it off, it was the case for me.

I was 235 on day of my surgery no regrets, would I have done it at a BMI of 29? Nope, but many people who have a BMI of 50+ Tell me they would not have done it at a BMI of mine :P So we all only know about ourselves.

Your goal is to prevent ill health and I get it , and respect that. If we all did it before we had problems it would have been better for most of us :)

I would really listen to my Dr though.

Thank you so much for responding!

I definitely think that 5 BMI points are worth it! I watch everything and if i didnt watch it id be back a 230lbs i 3 months. I have been hungry for so long i dont remember a time not being hungry i am stuggling to keep up the intense gym routine just to maintain. I've been overweight all my life and its a worry that I'm ready to put behind me

the doctor that I spoke to you wasn't actually my doctor he he performs the surgery

Surgery will knock off 50+ pounds over the first year. But regain IS possible, so you would forever have to be vigilant as to your calories in/out post-op as well.

One thing most of us didn't know before starting this process.. (but we are learning now..):

Exercise has relatively little to do with weight loss.. it's all about what you eat. In fact, after a minimal level of exercise that is enough to make you strong and maintain your lean body mass (muscles and bones, etc)... exercise is actually counter-productive because it makes you HUNGRY (one of your biggest complaints).

If I could guarantee you would heal up from surgery without a problem, and live your life, forever healthy.. then I'd say it was a good option, and you should run out and do it tomorrow. The problem is that that isn't necessarily gonna be the case. Complications can and do happen, and some can be life altering, or even life-ending. It would be a shame for you to take that risk, when your body is likely just screaming for balance.

Go to the gym twice a week to do weights. Walk 3 miles every day. That's it. Any more exercise isn't really needed.

Check into getting your RMR/BMR tested, then use that information as a baseline for figuring out how many calories to eat.

The thing is, that these suggestions are the same as we all have to do after surgery anyway.. you should just try them first.

Please share your experience if you have a low BMI

i am aware of risk i wanted to know about experience

I was approved by a different doctor. The doctor in the original post said the surgery would be easy for him it just didnt sit well with him ethically. He also said that my BMI I can expect to lose about 8 points and it would probably make me too slim

I can't edit the original posted but I am after experiences only

My highest weight was 85kgs or around 188lbs and my bmi was nearly 31. I had the sleeve last Dec and my weight is now around 63.5kgs - 64.5kgs or around 141 lbs.. I'm 166cm or around 5ft 6..
I eat hflc and for the last 2 weeks have started intermittent fasting or 16:8.
To lose some more fat etc.
I carried the majority of my weight around my waist and have high blood pressure and hypothyroidism. I have an extremely strong family history of heart issues and diabetes.
Im def not too light and struggle with NOT eating food as I still have a good addiction.
I'm going good apart from getting full on dense Protein real fast and I get annoyed quick lol..
I don't enjoy food anymore but I still want to eat . I don't regret it though one bit.

My highest weight was 85kgs or around 188lbs and my bmi was nearly 31. I had the sleeve last Dec and my weight is now around 63.5kgs - 64.5kgs or around 141 lbs.. I'm 166cm or around 5ft 6..
I eat hflc and for the last 2 weeks have started intermittent fasting or 16:8.
To lose some more fat etc.
I carried the majority of my weight around my waist and have high blood pressure and hypothyroidism. I have an extremely strong family history of heart issues and diabetes.
Im def not too light and struggle with NOT eating food as I still have a food addiction.
I'm going good apart from getting full on dense Protein real fast and I get annoyed quick lol..
I don't enjoy food anymore but I still want to eat . I don't regret it though one bit.

Yup I was BMI 29 on day of surgery. After 4.5 months I am 42 lbs down from surgery day and loving life. No regrets at all here. Happy to answer any q's you may have.

Edited by NightPilgrim