Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all-

The only "rule" per say that I have been told about my Vitamins was not to take the Iron and Calcium together. They need to be at least 2 hours apart. With that being said, can I take both Multi Vitamins together, both calciums together and the 3 irons together? That would make only 3 separate Vitamin times to remember, verses 7. I have been slowly starting the vitamins and tomorrow will be starting to take all of them every day. I started off by taking one of each a day to make sure I wouldn't become nausea.

The purpose of all the Vitamins is because your new pouch can't absorb all you need at one time. To take (i.e.) 3 vitamins at one time will defeat this purpose. You might take 1 Vitamin and 1 Calcium together; but not 2 vitamins at the same time or 2 calcium at the same time. Until you are allowed to cut down on the amount of vitamins you take, you will seem to be taking something all day long! Hope this helps.

Your body will thank you AND......you'll be full more often from all the Vitamins and get in Water at the same time. All leads toward the goal of a beautiful, more healthy you!!! Have a great day!

After RNY surgery, you are required to take many Vitamins for the rest of your life. This is because you body no longer synthesizes vitamins from food. That part of your stomach has been cut away, so this daily requirement is extremely important. Vitamin chemistry is important for absorption. Calcium supplements should be calcium citrate. There are also different chemistries of B12. I use the sublingual B12 and was told to use methylcobalamin. You cannot use a time-release version of B12. If you are taking Iron supplements, it should be ferrous sulfate for the best absorption. gummy vitamins are not absorbed properly and should be avoided.

It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the vitamins that contain iron and those that contain calcium. So in my case I found that what works best for me is to take the iron supplements just before bedtime. I put my vitamins in a weekly pill container. I have one container for the morning and one for the night. And I use a very small glass bowl for my calcium supplements. I put my calciums in the bowl in the morning and take them throughout the day. If I am up and about I put my calciums in a ziplock bag and carry them with me.

Taking your calcium and iron supplements at the same time can prevent your body from absorbing the iron. That is why the 2 hour separation. In your case, I would take the 3 irons just before bedtime and take the calciums spread out throughout the day. [By the way that seems like a lot of iron] In general do not take more than 2 calciums at one time. The calciums need to be spread out throughout the day. I saw no mention of vitamin B12. That is very important. It is not something that a Multivitamin will give you. It should be a separate vitamin.

One thing that caused me some confusion in the beginning was the dosage of Calcium. I took Citracal's. These are large horse pill size. The dosage rate is given on the back as 2 tablets equals 630 mg. So when I first started taking these, all I saw was the 630 mg. It wasn't until I met with my nutricianist that I discovered that the dosage rate was based on 2 tablets. So for the first month after surgery, I was only taking half the dosage I was suppose to be taking. So I needed to take 5 of these per day.

Here is a paper. Short version, we do not know why but there Calcium and Iron together do not mix. There is a chance your body will adapt and you can take them together, but I wouldn't wouldn't put my health at risk for it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21462112

My two cents are it's important to space out your medications. Your body is capable of only absorbing so much at a time.

Other things to consider: Talk to your surgeon or dietician if you need B12. Definitely necessary after bypass, not sure with others.

Here is a paper. Short version, we do not know why but there Calcium and Iron together do not mix. There is a chance your body will adapt and you can take them together, but I wouldn't wouldn't put my health at risk for it.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21462112
My two cents are it's important to space out your medications. Your body is capable of only absorbing so much at a time.
Other things to consider: Talk to your surgeon or dietician if you need B12. Definitely necessary after bypass, not sure with others.

Yes I am currently taking nasal Vitamin b12 spray. But it's only once a week.