Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi post-ops from a pre-op - having pre-op diet worries

Hi, I know this is a forum for post-ops (and congrats to you all!!). As someone who've gone through this, I was wondering if any of you have any advice. I'm doing the food tracking. I've been doing great with writing everything down. Weight loss has been dripping off slowly because I think I'm battling my statin meds that I read adds to weight gain. I was doing 1400 for a couple of weeks but a friend who's all fit and was able to diet her weight off told me that I was starving myself and that was why I wasn't losing weight. I upped my calorie intake but still didn't lose weight. I'm exercising aerobically (first time in my life!) every day- gone from 10 min to 15 min (paltry I know but since I never did it- I'm okay with the limited amount for now). The reason for my post is I went to Burger King the other day- had a really bad day. Most of my days are really really bad but I haven't been reaching for food like I used to. I'm feel VERY worried that I ate at Burger King since I'm meeting with the nutritionist who will be evaluating me. Should I be worried about being kicked out of the program? Should I just omit it from my food journal? Do they expect that fast food NEVER be eaten again?

Thanks all!

So, first, give yourself a break. You made a mistake and you won't do that again. And Yes, they expect you to never eat fast food again!!

You should follow the plan that your surgeon and NUT have provided for you, not what other people who have not been through this program have been through. Always remember, Protein first! If you are going to up your food intake, make sure it is lean protein to start with. So, your friend means well but she has a different experience and has not had surgery. Please note that your surgeon and NUT know what they are doing and that their plan is made for people who have had surgery.

We do all fall off the wagon periodically. The important part is to get back on the plan right away. And stop kicking yourself.

You are doing the most important thing--logging your food intake in a food diary. This is magical for some odd reason. WHen I stop logging my food, I get out of control. And, it's even best to log the food that you are going to eat, ahead of time, which really helps you to know what to do. If you don't eat those things, you can modify the log. I tell you this because I need to also tell myself. I have not been logging my food and I need to get back to it!! lol. So I'm glad I read your post today--thank you!!

You will do great--follow the plan, exercise, even just walking for 20-30 minutes each day s good.

I don't know how your program's rules are, but I'd be honest about everything, if I were you. That's the point of tracking. List what you eat, see what works, admit when you mess up, see what *does* work, etc. You're human, and you're gonna mess up on this journey. We all do. It's just that post-op the consequences are more serious, in that you can easily get sick if you eat off plan. But pre-op is the time for learning, for building good habits, for working on your diet and exercise so you're off to a good start post-op. Hang in there!

I agree with above posts. Give yourself a break. The WLS will be a HUGE motivator to not eat fast food again. I bet you won't even crave that stuff. I have lost cravings for chocolate and junk food. Not to mention dumping scares me.

Before surgery, I was going great. In April I saw the surgeon and they were submitting everything. I was losing weight. Then I got frustrated because it was taking forever and my insurance was taking a month to get a pre approval. Yay! Nope. Then I was told another 3 business weeks to get a pre certification. I have to say, during that time, I began eating ice cream at night and junk during the day. I quickly stopped again once surgery was in sight.

We all have bad habits, or we wouldn't be here. They just don't want you to gain weight during this pre op time. Today is another day!

Good luck!

Hi All,

Thanks for your words. I really appreciate it.