Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody dislike their surgeon?

I'm still pissed off about a three month post op visit I had with mine. I'm thinking of asking to be reassigned to her colleague because I felt judged and unsupported. What's your experience been like?

That stinks! I feel like they should be the most supportive people. Sorry you are experiencing that.

Im frustrated because my follow up appointments are with my surgeon's PA. She's very nice, but she's about 12... ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but most questions I have she has to step out and call him in the OR while he is operating on someone else!

it seems reasonable that if you aren't happy you should have the option of following g up with someone else.

While I respect my surgeon's abilities (and am thankful for the wonderful job he did with my surgery), as a doctor and a person, I don't respect him at all. On the day of my surgery, he showed up 3 hours late to the hospital with no apologies and no explanations. We learned from a hospital worker (who was brave enough to comment) that "he does this all the time." I ended up being the last surgery. He never spoke to me or my family before the surgery, and after, he only spoke to my mom on the phone because it was more important for him to leave than it was to speak to my entire family (including my partner) in person as he had done with every other patient's family.

The guy is a douchebag and I won't allow them to photograph me or use my story because of it. The good news is that I will probably never see him again. Other than the surgery (and one appointment prior), everything is with the NP in his practice. Lucky for me she is amazing.

While I respect my surgeon's abilities (and am thankful for the wonderful job he did with my surgery), as a doctor and a person, I don't respect him at all. On the day of my surgery, he showed up 3 hours late to the hospital with no apologies and no explanations. We learned from a hospital worker (who was brave enough to comment) that "he does this all the time." I ended up being the last surgery. He never spoke to me or my family before the surgery, and after, he only spoke to my mom on the phone because it was more important for him to leave than it was to speak to my entire family (including my partner) in person as he had done with every other patient's family.

The guy is a douchebag and I won't allow them to photograph me or use my story because of it. The good news is that I will probably never see him again. Other than the surgery (and one appointment prior), everything is with the NP in his practice. Lucky for me she is amazing.

Wtf?!! Glad the NP is awesome though. Sheesh!

Surgeons aren't really known for their bedside manner. Mine is quiet and not overly friendly. Honestly, as long as he's good while he's operating I'll be alright with it. Unless he's like Blizair's doctor. That would infuriate me. So unprofessional!

To the OP what happened at your three month appt?

1 hour ago, Coah said:

Nurses have a saying, "Beware the friendly surgeon."

I hadn't heard this before! Truth!

I'd lost 42 pounds by my scale by the time I saw her. Their scale said 35- so whatever, that's 35 pounds in 3.5 months. Not a super fast loss but consistent loss nonetheless. She didn't even ask how much I was logging, eating, exercising, meeting Protein goals, or taking the recommended supplements. I told her that I'd been having trouble for about a month with nighttime eating because I take insomina medication and am then up and eating about 45 minutes later due to medication-related decreased inhibition. She seemed to get hung up on that but didn't even ask what medication I'm on. I asked if she had any suggestions. She said that my weight loss was "not bad" in way that sounded "not good." She asked what my lowest lap band weight was, which was 178. She said she expects that I'll get back to there as if that should be my final goal. WTF? I'm about ten pounds from there now. She didn't say, "that should be your next goal" or ask what my goal is or say anything that was at all encouraging. She suggested that I get more outside support (even though she knows that I have a therapist and psychiatrist). She didn't acknowledge my participation in the clinic's weekly support groups. I told her that I'd signed up for her clinic's upcoming Mindful Eating class with the intention of addressing the nighttime eating. She didn't respond to that but rather suggested that I join Weight Watchers. Again, WTF? I didn't say WTF at the time but wish I had. Weight Watchers is not at all appropriate at this time and from my experience, they are hostile to people with bariatric surgeries. I'd been a member for most of the last ten years.

I'd liked the surgeon the couple of times I'd seen her prior to this, but in retrospect I remembered the following. The day of the surgery they had a hard time bringing me back to consciousness. From what I recall, they feared an air bubble in my lungs so when I did come to, they were pushing away a chest x-ray they'd just used and they were yelling at me to wake up. I was scared from the commotion and yelling and said, "I'm scared." Nobody said a word. Thankfully I was soon in the hands of an excellent empathic recovery nurse. :-)

Also, the surgeon did not tell me that I'd have a drain until right before the surgery. I had no idea that it was even a possibility so was quite alarmed when I woke up with it and found out that I'd have it for ten days. She also sucked at explaining how to take care of it. She told me to "not let it get wet," which was impossible. I learned how to care for it online. She also told me to dress it with Tegaderm film and gave me three to take home. I needed more within a few days and had a hell of a time finding them. They're easily found online so it would have been nice to know to buy them ahead of time.

Anyway, even if I chalk up 50% of this to my likely taking things too personally, she still 50% has a crappy bedside manner. Just a rant...

Edited by hermione53
typo

1 hour ago, hermione53 said:

I'd lost 42 pounds by my scale by the time I saw her. Their scale said 35- so whatever, that's 35 pounds in 3.5 months. Not a super fast loss but consistent loss nonetheless. She didn't even ask how much I was logging, eating, exercising, meeting Protein goals, or taking the recommended supplements. I told her that I'd been having trouble for about a month with nighttime eating because I take insomina medication and am then up and eating about 45 minutes later due to medication-related decreased inhibition. She seemed to get hung up on that but didn't even ask what medication I'm on. I asked if she had any suggestions. She said that my weight loss was "not bad" in way that sounded "not good." She asked what my lowest lap band weight was, which was 178. She said she expects that I'll get back to there as if that should be my final goal. WTF? I'm about ten pounds from there now. She didn't say, "that should be your next goal" or ask what my goal is or say anything that was at all encouraging. She suggested that I get more outside support (even though she knows that I have a therapist and psychiatrist). She didn't acknowledge my participation in the clinic's weekly support groups. I told her that I'd signed up for her clinic's upcoming Mindful Eating class with the intention of addressing the nighttime eating. She didn't respond to that but rather suggested that I join Weight Watchers. Again, WTF? I didn't say WTF at the time but wish I had. Weight Watchers is not at all appropriate at this time and from my experience, they are hostile to people with bariatric surgeries. I'd been a member for most of the last ten years.

I'd liked the surgeon the couple of times I'd seen her prior to this, but in retrospect I remembered the following. The day of the surgery they had a hard time bringing me back to consciousness. From what I recall, they feared an air bubble in my lungs so when I did come to, they were pushing away a chest x-ray they'd just used and they were yelling at me to wake up. I was scared from the commotion and yelling and said, "I'm scared." Nobody said a word. Thankfully I was soon in the hands of an excellent empathic recovery nurse. :-)

Also, the surgeon did not tell me that I'd have a drain until right before the surgery. I had no idea that it was even a possibility so was quite alarmed when I woke up with it and found out that I'd have it for ten days. She also sucked at explaining how to take care of it. She told me to "not let it get wet," which was impossible. I learned how to care for it online. She also told me to dress it with Tegaderm film and gave me three to take home. I needed more within a few days and had a hell of a time finding them. They're easily found online so it would have been nice to know to buy them ahead of time.

Anyway, even if I chalk up 50% of this to my likely taking things too personally, she still 50% has a crappy bedside manner. Just a rant...

I think every one of your complaints are valid. She's so disinterested. At least you have us! We will listen ❤ of course I don't know anything medically 😂 That's interesting about the hostile WW folks. If I ever go I'll keep it to myself for sure.

when i I had my thyroid out the OR techs had a big argument right before I went under. I made sure to let the hospital know after I recovered. It was awful! I'm really sorry she's so unsupportive

Edited by Joann454

Thanks for your support, Joann454! 🌹