66 posts in this topic

Most of my pre-op diet has been a modified keto diet. Difference is, not nearly as much fat.

Posted (edited)

That user has leveraged Keto to lose a bunch of weight. Though I believe they were sleeved first. Nonetheless, a great person to reference for Keto success.

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness

No worries, she'll show up soon. Yes, she was sleeved, but is doing fabulously!

They wouldn't be here on a WLS forum if they lost it on such a diet and didn't have surgery.

Many people try those diets (and every other kind) as a "one last try", fail at it and have the surgery, as all of those diets have a 95% failure rate in the absence of WLS. With the help of WLS, such diets are more successful, but most any diet works the first 6-12 months post op; the important factor is learning how to control one's weight in the long term, which most of those diets don't help.

Those who I know who have been most successful at this (as in maintaining substantial weight loss for 10, 15, 20 or more years didn't do it by succumbing to quickie fad diets, but by taking advantage of that year or so long window post-op to establish the healthy dietary habits that work forever.

@tiffany44641

I have been a low carber, keto person off and on for about 16 years.

I would lose weight but plateau and I didn't understand stalls so I would quit. I also had a Portion Control issue. People in the keto community feel like you can eat without portion control as long as it is high fat.

Being sleeved helped me control my portions. In the beginning when I was healing I just followed a normal low carb diet.

Around 6 months when I was healed, I switched to keto. Personally I feel like if I didn't switch to Keto I would not have lost this much weight. I would have topped out at about 100 pounds lost and bounced around like most WLS people.

Just as importantly eating keto has allowed me to maintain my looks. I have lost 182 pounds and I look very young and healthy. I do not look sickly. My face looks amazing. Keto is great for women because the fat is great for your skin. If you look in keto groups the women that keto almost glow.

I am a strong advocate for Keto. If you can portion control you can lose a lot of weight on keto. If you can't portion control wls is a great option to help you with that. The sleeve has helped me with portion control and made making the right food choices easy.