Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, went for my wellness check up this past Wednesday and my family doctor brought up the dirty "S" word. Surgery. Not just surgery but weight loss surgery. I'm not even sure why, but the whole idea scares the crap out of me. I think if a surgeon said "knee replacement" or "midfoot fusion" or "hip replacement", I'd be nervous but not so scared if that makes sense. I've done nothing but obsess since Wednesday. Checked with my insurance and bariatric surgery is covered. I was kinda hoping it wouldn't because I wouldn't have to consider it which would decrease my anxiety and result in less emotional eating which will result in even more weight gain. Don't ya just love vicious cycles? I now have a bookmark folder just for bariatric surgery. That's serious for me. Hope I can get advice from all of you as I go through the decision-making process and then through the journey itself if I decide to make the journey. Thanks for listening.

I would do it again any time in a heartbeat. I have lost 182 pounds (and counting) since I began my journey with my six month pre-op diet program on March 21, 2016 (a year from this coming Tuesday). I lost 99 pounds (from 397 to 298) by surgery day, and I have lost an additional 83 pounds (from 298 to 215 just this morning) since my surgery on September 28, 2016. It has completely changed my life -- personally, professionally, and health wise.

All that being said, I made a commitment before the first day to change my relationship with food, to fight my mental demons, and to get myself in a position to be successful. In my opinion, you need to ask yourself if you are willing to make that kind of commitment before you even get started. If you're not, you might lose a little weight while the tool does the work for you in the first few months, but ultimately you'll gain it back and not be successful.

WLS (the sleeve in my experience) is an amazing tool. But that is all that it is -- a tool. It is only as good as the hard work you put with it.

Good luck as you make your decision!

2 hours ago, blizair09 said:

All that being said, I made a commitment before the first day to change my relationship with food, to fight my mental demons, and to get myself in a position to be successfu

Did you do this alone or with a therapist? Thank you

It took me years of doctors bring up weight loss surgery to me to finally have the courage and honesty to say I need help, I can't do this alone. I was very frightened of anesthesia and an emergency operation cured me of that nonsense. I wish I had done this 15 years earlier! My operation is in a month.

3 minutes ago, queendeborahbee said:

Did you do this alone or with a therapist? Thank you

On my own. The only time I met with a psychologist was the insurance-required psych evaluation.

Like @blizair09 I would take this journey all over again. I am in the pre-op liquid stage on Day 6. This has been the hardest and yet most rewarding struggle. This is a tool, it is not the magic pill and it can only be used properly when you put your all into it.

I sought out the surgery, it was not offered to me. I did that because I had spent two years actively trying to lose weight and I was not succeeding. I have broken bones, spent thousands of dollars and this is my last hope. I think the more you read about it and look into it, the better you will feel.

I would not suggest getting the surgery if you are not ready to, have not actively tried losing weight and do not understand the tool and yourself.

As of now, I do not regret my decision. However, I will check in after the surgery lol. You never know with these things.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Sometimes I feel a bit of a fake as it has been so easy for me. I am finding it much harder now, eighteen months out. I had no issues with the VSG. No issues with living life to the full with the sleeve. Just wish I had done it earlier. :D

Kairosgrammy, I am in the same position, went for my well visit and the first thing my doc said when he came in the room was go have the sleeve surgery. Looking into all the options and moving toward it. Its time for me to take a stand with my health and loose the weight that I have always wanted to loose but have failed to do so. I can't tell you how many diets I have been on in my 60 years. So..... I guess I am going to move forward in taking my life back from food.

Edited by Alynn

Surgery scared the crap out of me too. I always thought that bariatric surgery was a very extreme approach to weight loss. And then at some point I realized that my weight was so out of control that extreme measures were necessary to rectify the situation. I agonized for months and even after I made my decision to go for it all I wanted was for it to be over with.

Well let me tell you something: it was the best thing I ever did for myself in my entire adult life!

IMG_0848.JPG