Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutrional evaluation

Does anyone know what happens at nutrional evaluation? I have to do one for my insurance and what everything to go smooth so that I will not be denied.

:help:

At mine they had you write down everything you eat for two months (I lied-I know I shouldn't have and should have been good-but pooey, I wasn't ready to eat 1200 calories yet) anyway, typically give you the 'lap band' rules so you can get used to things, ie. chew chew chew, lower your calories, stop drinking pop etc. Then they showed me portions, specifically I remember a rubber banana and being told I could eat 1/2 of it while she flopped it around (I swear she wouldn't let go of that thing the whole time) :rose:

I had to go three times before surgery, and each time they also give good recommendations for what you should be eating, how much Protein you need and what life will be like after lapband. Good luck!

So did you have to make an appointment or they the place where you went set that up?

Hi, I had my nutrition appointment this past Tuesday. I had to call to set it up myself. They sent me some paper work and part of it was a food journal for three days. They want to know everything you eat from the time you wake up until the time to go to sleep. My appointment was about 2 hours long. I met with 2 differant people and a cardiologist. I was also weighed and my body fat was measured, talk about a reality check and a shock to the system. Anyway it seems like the consults vary from state to state. The place where I will have the surgery has 12 week follow up program where I will receive 2 1/2 hours of weekly exercise and nutritional guidance through their center. It's a great program.

If your not sure if you should call to set up an appointment, you can always call the Bariatric coordinator, this would be the person you had your initial consult with. They should be able to tell you what steps to take.

Good Luck!

I had my band done a few weeks ago and before that I attended a nutritional class with other people and we discussed as a group as what we can and cannot eat before and after surgery. I am following what the Dr. ordered until I get my first fill on October 28 not much to really write about. Seems like the only thing that really helps me and sticks to my ribs sort to speak is my blended up refried no fat Beans, I add a bit of Water and then blend it all up in my magic bullet blender and heat it up and since your eating slow well it takes me at least three times during the day to eat one can if not longer.

The only thing my nutritionist told me about the band was that you have to chew and you can only eat 4oz of food at a time. I was going through AiGB a center for lap=band, so they gave me the number of the nutritionist that comes to their campus. Basically I paid $100.00 for her to tell me to add oatmeal to my diet and that everything else was fine because I was already on a weight loss plan. This probably didnt help, but it was fun sharing my experience!!

I have call the Barix Clinic and they said that the nutrtional evaluation could be done over the phone. So taht was a relief. Thanks for all your feedback.

Caramel