Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide

Basically, it came down to time.

Time is one of the few things you'll never get back.

The diets I had tried ranged from mild to extreme. I simply don't have whatever it takes to lose weight that way - whether it be a mental issue or something with my physiology - it never lasted.

I'd never seriously considered WLS until I saw my first gray hair. I had wasted so many years being overweight and shy that I'd missed out on living.

I researched all of the various procedures and decided on the sleeve gastrectomy. The long-term outcomes are better than LapBand and the same as RNY. I didn't like the RNY for two reasons: it is a rearrangement of the anatomy and malabsorption is a life-long risk. I didn't like the VSG because it is not reversible.

So I watched a ton of YouTube videos by people who had the VSG, both the good and the bad reviews. I met with some friends of friends who had the procedure. The overwhelming majority said they would do it again in a heartbeat and do it 5 years sooner.

I would have much rather lost weight through diet and exercise, and avoided surgery altogether, but it just wasn't possible for me.

I saw a sleever on instagram and it just kind of snowballed from there; prior to that the only WLS I knew about was lapband and I had heard horror stories about it so I had never even considered it but after that I spent a few months researching it and lurking forums and obsessing over the before and after pics. I think my final consideration that pushed me over the edge was some stupid thought like, "I wanna look good for a wedding someday" :P I was about 275-280 so I had about 100lbs to lose and I purposefully gained 20lbs for the sake of qualifying for insurance coverage... counterproductive but I'm now at the lowest weight I can EVER remember being (even when I was a preteen!) and 5lbs away from onederland. Worth it.

I chose sleeve in particular because from what I had researched it sounded a lot safer, and I didn't want to worry about dumping syndrome. My surgeon tried convincing me to get bypass by telling me, "There may be a day where you have to run out of an important interview because you're dumping, but it'll keep you from eating the wrong foods!" Yeah... no thanks haha. I'd rather run the risk of self-sabotage than run the risk of dumping interfering with my life.

I was pushed to the edge when my cholesterol was high and I was about to have to get on meds- turns out 6 months after surgery my cholesterol actually WENT UP -and I am now on meds for that ( along with the mountain of vitamins) but still happy I did it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've more or less been comfortable being overweight my whole adult life, around 220 at 5'2". I've been fortunate to "carry well" and not have any other medical complications due to being obese. I went up to 250, then 270 last year. I'll be 40 in a few weeks and I could feel my body just giving up on me. My limbs get numb, I can't sleep, cant breathe, can't bend over, huff & puff going up the stairs of my house. I failed at all my efforts for healthy eating and I exercising.

Then one day my darling 5 year old son and I were cuddling. He hugs me, grabs my back fat roll & ask me straight up, "why are you so fat?" And I knew I REALLY had to do something. I cried.

Next thing I know a coworker confided in me she went to Mexico for surgery. I had considered gastric bypass about 10 years ago after a childhood friend got it, but it felt too extreme. This seemed doable. I did the research. I got the money, and now I'm headed to Tijuana on 2/17.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I just woke up one day a couple weeks ago and just knew! I have no idea where the idea came from.... I WAS thinking about being embarrassed to go to a family reunion.

I never thought about or knew anything about the surgery before (not for 20 years, anyway).

Still debating between bypass and sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

I too have PCOS. I had a hysterectomy at 34 and an ovary removed at 37. I'd been on metformin for years and no amount of metformin, exercise, or dieting improved my A1c or the insulin resistance that comes with PCOS. Blood pressure and cholesterol were through the roof. I also gained so much that I had sleep apnea. The whole thing just stressed me out, and I was scared senseless that I was going to become a full blown diabetic as it is prevalent in my biological family. My husband is a type 1 with an insulin pump, so I see first hand what that's like.

I was initally offered bypass after my oopherectomy. At the time, I didn't know about the sleeve, and had other new complications and was a little offended that my doctor offered to remove the other ovary and have someone do the bypass at the same time. I worked at a hospital when they initially started performing the bypass, and the thought just wasn't appealing to me. The presentation of the option was also just poorly communicated. A few years later, I found out about the sleeve through a friend who works for my surgeon and also had the procedure. My doctor was well educated about PCOS and how the sleeve could help. That really sealed the deal. I wish I'd known sooner.

I was originally considering the Orbera (the weight loss balloon) but I decided that I didn't want to put that much money into a solution that wasn't permanent. I had to self-pay for my surgery but I am so glad that I did it.

@"Malin", I was considering Orbera also. I came to the same conclusion as you. Why spend all that money for a 6 month temporary solution! Fortunately, my insurance paid for my VSG, which also made my choice easier to make.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I just woke up one day a couple weeks ago and just knew! I have no idea where the idea came from.... I WAS thinking about being embarrassed to go to a family reunion.

I never thought about or knew anything about the surgery before (not for 20 years, anyway).

Still debating between bypass and sleeve.

I was the same - woke up one morning and started researching weight loss surgery having never thought about it before, ever. Now, 8 months later, here I am, one week from having a gastric sleeve. I can't wait!

Holy smokes! Great minds work the same, I guess!

I've been overweight for as long as I can remember. It never really bothered me but since having children my weight began creeping up the last we years, last summer I reached my highest weight of 301. My knees hurt, my back hurt, my cholesterol and blood sugar were high and I wanted to be there for my kids and interact with them.

In April I had a GYN surgery and my OB actually suggested Inwoukd be a good candidate. I did more research that you can imagine and decided on the Sleeve. I don't like the malabsorption and rerouting of the intestines with the RNY, the Sleeve just fit.

I was sleeved 12/30. I'm now down 49 pounds since July, 19 since surgery and I feel like I'm getting my life back

I have PCOS too and what a pain in arse it is for weight loss. My OB who is head honcho for west of Scotland says VGS will be amazing for PCoS but you must start BC before surgery as quickly becomes obvious than periods will get mental and fertility jumps up.

Fridge Pickers Wear Bigger Knickers ????

I have PCOS too and what a pain in arse it is for weight loss. My OB who is head honcho for west of Scotland says VGS will be amazing for PCoS but you must start BC before surgery as quickly becomes obvious than periods will get mental and fertility jumps up.

Fridge Pickers Wear Bigger Knickers

Periods get mental? Sorry I know it's probably a typo. Why the BC beforehand? Tell me all the things lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Periods do get mental after surgery. (Irregular). Fertility frequently increases, and of course self esteem boost probably results in more bed-time ;)

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app