Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just beginning to look into surgery. I can't seem to get a handle on the weight. I lose 20-30 here and there and gain more back. Lost over 100 lbs before kids, about 13 years ago, but gained it all back plus some. I feel like I'm desperate and need help now because I have so many people that depend on me. But I'm worried that it will affect me and my kids in ways that I don't know yet. Thoughts from other parents out there? Thanks for listening!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi I have just started this process about a month ago. I'm a single mom of 4 kids that need me . I'm very scared to go on being obese. I'm scared to have to surgery and not wake up. Everyone assures me I will wake up . I'm very scared I just want to be healthy for myself and for my kids. My process has gone pretty fast I only have to see the dietitian and then wait for approval

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

Amf1025 good to hear your process has been fast. My first appt is on Feb. 8th and I haven't learned what the requirements will be before surgery. I also want to be healthy for my kids. I'm not so worried about the actual surgery but the life after. I don't want to have complications or feel sick all the time when my kids need me to be active.

Over the years I slowly became obese. It didn't bother me much being obese but then it began to affect my health. I became diabetic. My blood pressure went up and even though I was taking 2 prescription medicines, it wasn't completely under control. I experienced severe acid reflux (GERD). I had sleep apnea. All this was leading me quickly to a grave. So I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 1/2 years ago and I am pleased with the results. It is like hitting the reset button. So look at the decision of what would your children do if you died prematurely.

Thanks for the reply James. I am so happy for your great success!! I know I need to lose the weight one way or another, I don't want to die early because of this. I'm just nervous that I'll have problems or complications from permanently changing my stomach. I am so heavy now that I just need that reset button. But I keep thinking that I've lost over hundred pounds before so I can do it again without having to change my stomach with surgery. But that was a long time ago and with five kids, three of them being toddlers and being so so heavy I just can't seem to get a handle on it. This is why I want to look into surgery... To be her for my kids and now!

I'm mom to four. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 10. I really want to be around long enough to see my future grandkids! I want to be able to do everything I can with the family and be more invested in their lives. Wls is for me but they have been my motivating factor!

My entire family is very fit. All of the kids play competitive sports. The older two are in incredible shape and swim, run, and life weights. They coach me in the gym. All 4 keep me honest. They have been with me every single step of the journey from when I first started thinking about this 5 years ago. When I was four days post op and had my "what have I done??'!!" moment, they were there. They all exercise with me and they have all learned to cook low carb dinners :).

The biggest change has probably been with my teenage daughter. She's seen not only the difficult decision I made but the work it took to get here. She sees a strong mom who took steps to get healthy. It deepened our already strong relationship in many ways!

Triplethreat- Thanks so much for your post! My kids are defiantly my biggest motivator. I wish I could do it all in my own without the surgery because it's important for my kids to see that it's hard work. I know I will still need to work hard after the surgery and I want the whole family to be involved. It's just scary! I have two year old twins, a three year old, a 9 and 11 year old.

I have 3 daughters, 8 (twins) and 5 my husband who is about 50kgs heavier than me has sleep apnea and type 2 diabetes I wanted my kids to have at least one healthy parent especially since they stress alot over my husband nagging him about sleeping with his machine and taking his meds LOL. Its hard the fatigue after surgery makes it hard to work and then come home and do house work cooking but its all worth it and if your kids are at an age where they can help even better. My kids are a healthy weight at the moment but now is the time to show them good eating habits before they pick up on all the ones I used to have.

From reading these boards, surgery truly isn't an "easy" way out of obesity. Your family will still see you diet and exercise, the same as without the surgery.

The only real difference is after the surgery we physically couldn't eat the whole pie, ever again in one sitting... but we could eat it in a day. It will be up to us to just say no (the same as without surgery).

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

Berry78 exactly thats why I get mad when people say it is. Yes the Portion Control is forced but thats all the surgery does you still have to choose to make better food choices and exercise.

I have 2 kids my son is 12 and my daughter is 6... I want to change and set better examples for them, I don't want them to be like me. Not that I'm bad but being over weight is a struggle. My son knows what I'm doing he was a little concerned and he loves me this way he feels like he's gonna have a new mom. Of course that made me cry but we had a long talk and he gets it now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

I'm a single mommy to twin girls who will be 3 in April. I am right there with you. The fears are way less concerning than the thought of losing my life over being obese forever.

We got this