Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I heard that!

So, I'm 7 months post op and down 73 lbs....I'm sitting in my office at work the other day, and 2 people I know from another department walk by my door, and the one says to the other, "she's lost a LOT of weight," almost in a kind of I-wonder-if-she's-sick tone....

I felt like saying, "They didn't surgically remove my ears, I can hear you!"

Not sure why it made me feel weird, but I did kind of chuckle about it later. Anyone else have a similar story?? I'd appreciate hearing it, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

thanks God that I had a good therapist before and after my sleeve, because helped me a lot to deal with all kind of comments...

I had comments from "you look sick " to " you look so pretty"

some comments are from family members ppl that you never expect...

BariatricMatters

Out of compassion they were concerned that you may have a health issue.

I told people who asked about my weight loss that I had WLS. Many people were glad to see me lose weight but since it was so rapidly, they were genuinely concerned about my health.

Out of compassion they were concerned that you may have a health issue.

I told people who asked about my weight loss that I had WLS. Many people were glad to see me lose weight but since it was so rapidly, they were genuinely concerned about my health.

Same here for me....a lot of people said that to me, most concerned and in confidence.

And I can understand...there have been too many people I and my peers know (knew)

I get concerned also.

I didn't tell many people that I was having surgery so when i started to drop weight it was quite a shock. Only one person actually asked me if i was Ok and it was sort of funny how she said it... I think people are just curious and probably a little jealous...

I saw an old aquaintance one day. Stopped and chatted for a moment, and at some point during the conversation, I realized she had lost a bunch of weight.

What came out of my mouth was "You look good", but what went through my mind was "I hope you aren't sick with cancer or something".

I haven't seen her since, so don't know what caused the weight loss.

People really do get concerned about your health! If surgery is tmi, then maybe start saying you've been on a diet. Put their minds at ease.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. As I dropped the weight, I received a few strange comments. Sometimes I was compared to the starved individuals freed from concentration camps. Anyways I looked at myself in the mirror. Even though I got rid of almost all my clothes, I still retained my coats and jackets. My shoulder length decreased after I lost weight so all my sleeves of my jackets now fell below my fingertips. As a result, I looked like the Disney character Dopey in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Anyways the solution was quite simple, I bought new clothes. One of the joys of losing weight is the shopping that comes after. My wardrobe that was around 40 years old and very dated was replaced with the latest styles.

Many individuals that make comments like the one you heard, have only your best interest at heart. One of the signs of cancer or other ailments is the dramatic loss of weight. So they are just expressing a concern about your health.

Thanks everyone for responding...and very good points about people being concerned. I really do get that, as I'm sure I might have the same response.

I have told some of my coworkers, even, even before my surgery because I was going to be off 2 weeks, and I knew some of my close coworkers, who know that I do not take 2 weeks off work even though I could, would worry. It was just interesting because I've literally shocked some people with how different I look, but so many people have commented that aside from the weight difference, that I look younger and much healthier (music to this 46 year old lady's ears!), so it's just odd that people would worry I am sick.

But, I'd rather have the occassional odd reaction to my weight loss and keep right on enjoying this new life! Plus, eventually I'll reach my goal (only about 33 lbs away now!) and once people get used to the new me....the comments will stop, and I'll just be me again.

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App