Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

45...preop, would you wait?

Hi there!

I am a preop RNY, 45 year old female 5'5" and my starting weight was 230. I know that in the bariatric world that is on the lower end, but I have not been able to shake this weight but for a few months maybe 4x since my 20s. I can diet but it ALWAYS returns. I have been dx'd sleep Apnea, GERD and Barrett's and not to mention that my job comes with a weight restriction ..... anyways....

My 6 month visit rolls around 3/17 making me likely to be able to schedule my surgery for April.

I am looking for opinions, my daughter graduates from HS this spring and her party is June2. We are leaving for a 10 day cruise 6 days after that. Would you have surgery in April, or wait until July? This would put me about 8wks post op and leaving the country, not to mention the food and drink associated with a cruise. I don't intend to gorge myself by any means, but I am afraid that being that close to my surgery might make me a little less fun to travel with.

I am so conflicted. I am so ready for this change but afraid that in the early months after surgery it would be a bad idea. This vacation was scheduled long ago and there are many people committed, so changing wouldn't be an option.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

I wouldn't wait. I think you will feel a lot better 20lbs lighter on a cruise. At 8 weeks out, you are going to get to enjoy all the activities and excursions on your trip and skip the buffets.

I would NOT wait. You will feel so much better losing some weight before graduation pics and your cruise. At 8 weeks post op sleeve surgery I felt great.

Sent from my iPhone

I'll take a contrary position. From my experience, you will probably feel pretty good 8 weeks out, but will have extreme dietary restrictions which could be very difficult to deal with in a captive environment. In addition, there is a very slight chance you could have complications emerge at around that time (e.g. - stricture) and medical care could be dicey depending on where you are.

While I am extremely happy with my RNY and would do it again in a heartbeat, in your situation, I would consider postponing the surgery. If you can move it to July from April, what's 3 more months really? Then you can focus on you and your recovery.

I took my first extended trip out of the country to an all inclusive about 10 months post-op, and frankly I'm glad I waited that long. Any trip I was taking 8 weeks post-op (frankly even up to about 5-6 months post-op) I was bringing a LOT of my own supplies - Protein drinks, cottage cheese, etc.

Now that I'm a year post-op I can usually make so with whatever is available. I may throw some Protein Bars in my bag for emergency use, but other than that I can pretty much roll with it.

Actually I WOULD wait. I no longer enjoy eating out. I'm 10 weeks post op and eat 4-6 teaspoons of food twice a day, with a Protein drink squeezed in. The smallest amount of food I can buy in a restaurant still means I take home 80% of it. I'm supposed to eat slowly, which I do, but it still only takes me a few minutes to eat my few tiny bites. The cruise will be MISERABLE for you, despite having lost a lot of weight. You have plenty of time, you've waited this long! What's another 12 weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I WOULD wait.. But the reason I say that is because IF God forbid you have any complications like I did you'd end up not being able to go on your cruise.. Just a thought.. I had my surgery the 22nd of November.. Ended up having to be opened up.. The 2 weeks after being released from the hospital ended up back in with infection.. Got released 4 days latet with a wound vac.. Thats finally off but I still have 2 wounds that have to be packed every day and new dressings.. Anyways.. Wish you the best whichever you chose!

Munky

Edited by FunkyMunkyBrat

I wouldn't, but I had an easy surgery.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I am really leaning towards waiting because of the exact reasons msujester, Munky and Rhonda mentioned.

It is just hard waiting and I am so excited to make changes!

I am glad that I found this forum because I could use some folks who are in the same boat. So, thank you all!

I'm on the fence. I think on the one hand that you shouldn't be on a cruise that soon post op in case of complications... but on the other hand, doing something like the cruise with so many great, not day-to-day "normal" things to do to take your mind of of your head hunger might be a good thing. I suggest asking your surgeon for his opinion :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by AGreenEyedWolf

@@MaggieH2 Oh my gosh, You are me!!! I was your exact weight. Personally, I would wait. If you're anything like me...you LOVE food and you try SUPER hard to do the right thing but not being able to "enjoy" the cruise to its fullest will make you upset...and then in turn not have any fun. You're still going to get the surgery so another month or two won't be that horrible. Enjoy the cruise and make it your last big thing and then delve in and do the surgery.

I hope that you have fun on your cruise and I wish you the best of luck on your surgery!!!

Linda

If you're at all interested...I've started my own blog and I think you might be interested in some of my posts. Feel free to stop by any time or even follow me. www.fatontheinsideblog.wordpress.com

Personally, I would wait. Enjoy your cruise and you family. Come back relaxed and ready to put all of your focus on you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I could of had my surgery the first week in January. But I decided to wait. My best friend for 38 years is turning 50 on the 21st and I am throwing her a big party. I worried that I wouldn't be able to be 100% for myself and her. So I postponed my Surgery until Feb 9th. My 50th birthday is 3/30. My hubby wanted to go on a cruise or Go to Vegas. I told him I just did not want to plan anything BIG for my birthday. We've decided that on my year anniversary for surgery and my 51st birthday we'd take that cruise we really want to go on.