Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else kinda kept the surgery a secret? I've told the close family members but not coworkers or friends. I just don't want all there advise on what I should do and the stories they have heard.

Pretty much everyone knows except for two people for different reasons.I haven't told my sister.She is hyper critical of my weight and has always been the pretty skinny one.She has gained a lot of weight.I can see her physically confronting me.The other person is my best friend.I want to surprise her next month with my massive weightloss.She would be supportive, but she's never seen me small.I think it'll be funny.As far as coworkers most know.But it's not your job to tell them especially if you don't like them or are not friends with them.There are some people I wish I hadn't told that's for sure.

I kept my gastric band procedure a secret until it eroded & made me very sick. 6-7 years after it was put in, my body said no. I was really glad to have it gone since I had no medical support for the maintenance in the USA & am looking forward to openly having the gastric sleeve procedure done.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Nobody knows about mine expect my parents. It's actually been surprisingly easy. People comment on my weight loss but no one really ever notices that I eat teeeny meals and even then usually have leftovers. I just tell everyone that I'm on a diet that involves very small Portion Control and eating more frequently throughout the day (which is mostly true).

I don't think at the time I would have been comfortable letting people know. I was very ashamed of my weight and ashamed of seeking medical intervention. Almost four months out though, I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions I've made for myself, and I don't beat myself up for having it done. Maybe someday I will tell people but for now, it's something I did for myself to make a better me, and that's good enough.

I have told close family, a few friends, and a couple of co-workers, but that's it. When I told a couple of my co-workers, they immediately started trying to talk me out of it and telling me horror stories about their family/friends that had gastric bypass and almost died. They told me I just need to diet and exercise. I was like "What do you think I have been doing ALL my life??" Those things have put me where I am today... because I failed horribly at dieting and exercising and now I am the biggest I have ever been! I feel keeping it a secret for the most part is going to benefit me and keep me sane because not everyone is going to agree with me and that's okay.

I've told very few, because most people think I can do it on my own, but I've tried & that hasn't worked. My boss would try to talk me out of it, cause he doesn't want me to miss working, because then he might have to. I feel this is my choice and no one else's.

I tried to keep it a secret from work but when i filed for fmla they wanted me to be specific on the type of surgery i was having. "Somehow" it got leaked and i had no choice then to talk about it when asked. I felt betrayed but oh well i was fooling my self thinking i could keep it to myself see i started at 391.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I haven't told anyone but my husband and 2 of my friends. The one friend would never tell a soul... the other has already told at least one acquaintance, so I had to specifically ask her not to tell anyone else. (This same friend told me I don't need surgery... I just need to walk more and drink soda less... like I haven't already been fighting this battle for 20 years longer than I've known her)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Thick2Thin2016

I have told a lot of people I plan to have VGS this summer because I am one of those open book type people. Everyone I have told so far has been very supportive. The others are just concerned for my health but I tell them I am doing this for my health. I am a Christian as well as my family, friends and my coworkers are all Christian so we all pray for each other about all kinds of things. It is nice to know people care and want what is best for me. I do know people who have had it that are very secretive about it and I respect their decision. I am just not that way. Those same people have been very nice to share their experiences with me and I really appreciate that by keeping their secret.

I wanted to add that the lady that wrote "The Sleeved Life" has some interesting and some are quite humorous ideas of what to say to people when their response is not so positive. Also it is a quick and good read!

Only my husband knows. I will probably tell my oldest daughter afterwards because she tends to over stress and I don't want her to worry that I could be the 0.1% that dies on the table.