Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet over the holidays...

Is anyone else doing their pre-op diet over the holidays?

I have a Jan 5th surgery date and I'm supposed to be on my pre-op diet for 3 weeks. It's my 6th day and I am doing very well so far, but OH MAN is it ever a struggle at this time of year!

People are bringing treats into my office constantly and offering them to me, and it's a real challenge to say no. I've been to several Christmas parties with huge amounts of tempting food everywhere, and I'm stuck with my shake. :(

Though I know this is only a few weeks out of my life and there will hopefully be a lot more holidays in my future when my health improves after surgery, I do think the pre-op diet is especially tough to accomplish at this time of year! I have to keep reminding myself of the good things that lie ahead.

I am on the first day of 1 week diet and I am hoping I can make it

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I go in on the 4th. I don't technically have a pre-op diet but have decided to put myself on one. So I start officially tomorrow. My thought is be prepared, high protien, lower my calories. One small lean protien & vegetable meal. No carbs unless in my protien shakes. Found Atkins protien drinks, 20g protien and they're not bad. Premier protien drinks 30g protien, also have GENEPRO. sugar free popsicles, Jello, pudding, fudgesicles, cottage cheese, water! Trying to stay between 800-1000 calories. First night of Chanukah I'm going to have a patato latke (my only carb) and Christmas day I'm having a small piece of Prime Rib. (No red meat for a long time so I'm having my last fix, lol) I'm thinking this can only help me. So, best of luck to you...We got this! This is the start of something beautiful, the best is yet to come. Happy Holidays.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Even though it's tough, I know we can make it through. I'll keep my eyes on the prize. :)

I am day 6 as well. I have my surgery on the 29th of December. I honestly think in some ways it's easier during the holidays. I am so busy, wrapping, shopping, Baking and getting ready for parties it takes my mind off the food. Until I'm confronted with it! Lol. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using the BariatricPal App

I'm in my second week! Surgery is on the 26th. I'll be spending Christmas Day drinking 5 shakes per day. As hard as it is, this too shall pass. Once we are living our healthy lifestyles, these two or three weeks will just be a blink of our eyes.

I've told everyone that is around me that I'm having surgery. They have helped me to keep accountable and it's been so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Our weight loss program has us do a 3 week diet before we even get referred to the surgeon as it shows how well we may do on post op diet. I voluntary started mine last week and won't be off til January 5th - best time for me so I can enjoy Xmas but also be aware of my issues and why they happen.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I'm in my second week! Surgery is on the 26th. I'll be spending Christmas Day drinking 5 shakes per day. As hard as it is, this too shall pass. Once we are living our healthy lifestyles, these two or three weeks will just be a blink of our eyes.

I've told everyone that is around me that I'm having surgery. They have helped me to keep accountable and it's been so helpful!

I'm on the 27th, one day after you. Two weeks in as well, but limited to 4 shakes a day.

A little less than one week left of the presurgery diet. I'm over the hurdle of starving 24/7, but the fantasizing about eating real food is incredibly hard. The other night at dinner my daughter was eating egg rolls and I helped her unroll them (she likes eating them that way) and I just kept smelling my fingers after. Whenever I drive by a restaurant with my favorite foods (which is pretty much all food), I literally imagine eating those foods and can almost taste them. I imagine all of the sensations of eating them, including how my stomach would feel if I ate them (which is full, BTW). It's tough but I'm determined to stick to it.

My coworkers and family have all been supportive. Some people at work taunt me with their lunches, but to be honest, it helps to keep things light. I know they're joking and are supportive. If I didn't laugh about it occasionally I would be miserable.

Good luck everyone!

After being on the presurgery diet for two weeks, my physical hunger is mostly gone, or at least manageable. But the mental hunger and the desire to experience eating something warm and satiating is now worse than ever. All I can think of eating is a Jersey Mike's Chipotle Cheesesteak. I asked my friend to eat one and tell me how it tasted..... each step of the way. I think I need help ;) But I asked him, jokingly, to take a picture of every bite and text them to me. He thought I meant pics of him eating the sandwich but what I really wanted was a point-of-view pic of the sandwich and each successive bite as they were taken out of the sandwich. That way, I can hold my phone as I flip through each picture and pretend I'm eating it myself. Ha. Yeah. It's that bad it got weird.

This may be a great idea for an app, or not :/

Patent pending :)

Edited by cakatron

The funny thing is during my psych evaluations the therapist insisted that I have binge eating tendencies. I adamantly disagreed. I mean, how could she make that declaration after me answering a few questions on a form?! I have fooled myself that I didn't binge and only just consistently made poor decisions for nearly all meals of the day, as well as genetics. Maybe that's true, but I definitely think I may have a food addiction to overcome. We'll see how it goes after surgery.

Yesterday I chewed and spit out a single peanut just so I could taste something different than my shakes, broth and Jello! LOL. 2 more weeks to go, but I think I can do it!

I would kill for broth. Only shakes, raw veggies, and Water for me. If I see another carrot!!

Edited by cakatron