Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lacking motivation

I am about 4.5 months post op. I have lost about 45 pounds so far without much effort. I'm having a really hard time keeping the motivation going. I find myself easily convincing myself to eat the bad foods that got me into this obese problem in the first place.

I also wasn't given any kind of program by my surgeon's office, which is infuriating. They actually told me not to track anything. I'm the kind of person who needs goals to hit, like under 900 calories, or under 40 net carbs, just anything. Without any kind of goal I can easily convince myself to eat crappy foods.

I also don't work out very much. I might do 20 minutes of yoga twice a week, and I hit my apple watch goal of 300 moving calories per day but otherwise I don't put forth much effort this way. I have a million excuses why I don't work out but the honest truth is I just don't want to most days.

How do you keep going and working towards the goal? What things do you keep in mind every day, every time you go to the gym or work out? I'm lost and needing help and my doctor's office is being of no help.

I can't understand why you weren't given any info. My do says to eat 60-90 grams of Protein a day. That helps you feel full so you won't want the other stuff. Use Protein shakes or bars. Premeir Protein had both and pure protein. Drink lots of Water. If that's hard try Vitamin Water or sobe. Orange and straw/kiwi are my favorite. Tea is also like water. Hot or cold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

If you need any other ideas I will share what I know.

Edited by thea2473

I can't understand why you weren't given any info. My do says to eat 60-90 grams of Protein a day. That helps you feel full so you won't want the other stuff. Use Protein shakes or bars. Premeir protein had both and pure protein. Drink lots of Water. If that's hard try Vitamin Water or sobe. Orange and straw/kiwi are my favorite. Tea is also like water. Hot or cold.

The information I was given was very basic, like choose good foods. Fish, fruits, vegetables. Not much processed stuff. Exercise 30 minutes every day, high intensity. The same things that people on diets have been told for years. And yes, I'm sure if I ate that way all the time I would be losing very quickly, but complete restriction for me leads to binges, something I have a history with (BED and bulimia).

They don't give numbers for protein because they said they have never had a patient suffer from protein deficiency in their 16+ years of practice. They tell their patients to eat their vegetables first to fill them up and then have protein second. Common sense dietary practices, but every other bariatric surgeon I've researched has said to eat protein first.

I was told to eat Protein first because at first you can't fit much. Now I am beginning to eat both Protein and veg. Like beef and broccoli. Not much though. I am dropping pretty quickly. The more protein I eat the more I loose. Protein builds muscle and muscle burns fat. So protein helps burn fat.

My doctor's office has a very good nutrition staff who gave lots of training. I was told to get in 90 grams Protein, less than 50 grams fat, less than 50 grams carbs per day and to stay under 800 calories. Always eat protein first in a meal and then add vegetables if you have room. Drink at least 64 oz of liquid a day. This helps to keep you full and also help prevent eating junk. Instead of grabbing an unhealthy snack, drink some Water or Crystal Light. Eat only until you are beginning to feel full. I find if I eat too much I get VERY uncomfortable very fast. I am six months post op and have lost just over 70 lbs. On this blog you will see lots of differing advice. Try what seems to make sense to you and will help you lose the weight. You had the surgery to make your life better and only you can make the changes needed to be successful!

@@lutheranian

A goal without a plan is just a wish.

Sounds like you have some motivation to change this up due to your frustration. Many people come to this forum because they never received instructions. I would consider getting better support and instructions from another surgeons office. Even if its calling and having them send you a packet of good information.

You only get out of surgery what you are willing to put into it. What motivates me may not motivate you. Try to think of all the reasons you had surgery in the first place.

People have already posted the norm for diets...(sorry for the repeat info)

Track (myfitness pal)

Protein first 60 to 100 grams

no sugar

low carb

64 oz of Water

exercise

A few sites for bariatric friendly recipes

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I hope you find what works for you,

Jenn1

@@jenn1

This information was awesome. I've been looking for recipes but have been unsuccessful at googling. I will definitely be contacting another office for an information packet. Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The thing that keeps me on track is keeping a food log. I record every bite of food and all liquids.

I chose low calorie carbs but even if I didn't I doubt I would get much above 1000 calories a day. I do add a serving or two of fat (today I had 1/2 of an avocado and 4oz of 2% cottage cheese)

I add it up at the end of the day to make sure I got my 90 gr/64oz.

I have two Protein shakes a day (powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored, cashew milk as a base) and don't count the shakes as hydration any more since I can usually get in enough clear calorie free liquids in every day now.

I seem to lose more weight on days I get in all the Protein.

I'm new to this, but it seems a lot of hospitals have support group meetings once a month. That may help give you the direction and goals you are looking for!

Good support groups are hard to come by... during the first one I attended a guy who jus got his sleeve explained to the group that if he wants to eat after he is full he just drinks some Water to wash the food down. His wife, who had the surgery last year "taught" him this and he was nice enough to share with the group. Well...now I know why so many people regain their weight. I called his BS and left before the woman running the group got a chance to ask me too.

The NUTS in my surgeons office know it was me when they heard about the incident!

I have had group counseling for food addiction and that was very helpful. And I still go to OA (overeaters anonymous) one a week and find that helpful as well.

It sounds to me like you might be suffering from depression. I suffer from it too. I have heard that it is common for people to associate their issues with being overweight but when you start to lose weight you discover that you are still lonely or in an unsatisfactory relationship. I would encourage you to make an appointment with a psychiatrist who does behavioral psychology. Good luck.