Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op steps, not sure if doing the right thing.

Hello everyone,

I am just curious if anyone has gone through this already or going through it at the moment. My ins. co. requests that I undergo nutritionist/dietitian supervision for four months as part of the pre-op. I have undergone two visits already, on my second visit the dietitian noticed that I had been eating a lot of food that I shouldn't and that I had no exercise involved whatsoever. She then suggested that I could make some changes in order for me to try and lose some weight. In fact, prior to her saying that, she actually had asked that if I was supposed to maintain my weight or lose some. Yes, my food diary was that bad :unsure: . As the appointment continued she then asked me to list at least one goal, she stated she usually asks her patients to make one goal and try to keep it. One of the things she had suggested was that I could replace at least one meal with a Protein Shake. So my goals were the following; I told her I would try to replace at LEAST one meal and that I would try and lose five pounds by our next appointment. In fact, I told her that after that appt. I would go straight to a Vitamin shop and buy some Protein. She actually gave me a Blender Bottle and gave me a list of approved Protein Shakes. I kept my word and did go straight to a vitamin shop and picked up a tub of Syntrax Nectar Sweets ;).

For the past month or so, I have replaced two meals a day and kept a solid meal and have incorporated a 25 minute walk at 4-5 times a week. I know I have lost weight, just don't know how much. Because the number on their scale is the one that counts, I have not followed my progress with exactitude except I know that I have lost at least the 5 lbs as promised. Having said ALL of that... here is where my issues lies. In the process of this month, I have faltered, plenty of times. There have been days where I'll only replace one meal instead of two, in fact, there have been days were I have taken my protein shake and still felt so hungry that I had to eat at least a ham or tuna sandwich to complement my shake. This has caused me to feel crummy about it, but I just brush it off and keep on trying the next day. I start off by replacing my first meal, then my second meal and keep my third, because I work nights, my third meal would technically be considered my Breakfast or the dinner for some of you all, after sleeping all day. On the bright side, after two weeks of having made these changes, I had to cut down on my medications. I was on two different pills and one injectable for my diabetes, I am now on just one pill and the weekly injectable. I do feel I have made some progress. Just curious if anyone has gone through this or going through it at the moment. Furthermore, this is not part of the two week pre-op liquid diet, this is something I decided to do of my own accord and I feel will be very helpful once I actually have to start my two week liquid diet.

This is my first post, looking forward to seeing some responses. Everyone have a blessed day!

Every surgeon and office is completely different but most of them just wanna see that you are learning healthier ways and willing to change and it sounds like you are on a great start with all of this keep up the good work this is not the easy way out like a lot of people think it's hard work mentally and physically lots of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It sounds like for the most part you are meeting your goal of replacing one meal a day with a Protein shake. Even better when you replace two.

Most of us have gone through the supervised diet portion, mine was supposed to be 6 months but turned out to go 9 before I was approved and surgery was scheduled.

The goal is to work towards changing behaviors long term because that is what will be required to actually lose the weight even with the surgery. Many folks believe that the surgery will solve everything. For a very short time, you can pretty much do anything after surgery and lose weight.

The issue of course is that the "honeymoon" period is literally only a few months long so if you don't change behaviors, down the road the surgery won't matter and you will likely gain weight.

I am 2 years post op and I honestly thought the weight loss part of my journey would be the hardest. Well, I was completely WRONG! Maintenance for me is the most difficult because you are at goal and in order to stop losing need to increase your intake slightly. Well, you go back and forth constantly. I got down to 158 from 310, then gained back 5lbs, then lost 3, then gained 5......Maintaining your weight is a constant battle with your brain. I am now trying to lose that 5lbs again. LOL....which when you are at or near goal is not so easy, at least for me.

The surgery is your tool but your brain is what is really in control so it is important to take the time early to truly learn new behaviors and make better choices.

You are taking the right steps and especially when you fall off.f Just dust yourself off and keep on going.

Best of luck to you!

@@TexasguyEP,

Hello fellow Texan! I'm from El Paso too, and I had my surgery with Dr Lara, Jose Acosta's partner! When you do go through surgery, let me say, you will be in great hands. I find the whole team to be exceptional!

I think you are doing a great job, and you have gone above what was asked of you. Don't be too hard on yourself, just stick to at least one shake replacement a day, and aim for that 5 lb loss by your next appointment.

Welcome to the boards! I look forward to hearing more about your journey, fellow South westerner!

Edited by The New Kel

I commend you for taking the steps you are taking!! You are making changes now. Just remember everything you do now will make your preop go so much easier on yourself. Keep your eyes on the prize and Keep on keeping on!! BTW I did 2 weeks of Protein drinks preop and 4 weeks of Protein Drinks postop. You can do this!!

genn, I could not agree more, people think that we do this as an easy way out, but we have to endure a lot of physical and mental stress that in the long run should help us become stronger. Thanks for the good wishes!

Every surgeon and office is completely different but most of them just wanna see that you are learning healthier ways and willing to change and it sounds like you are on a great start with all of this keep up the good work this is not the easy way out like a lot of people think it's hard work mentally and physically lots of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Djmohr, I could not agree with you anymore! I think that some of the steps I am taking now will definitely help me with the change in behaviors I will have to make for the long run. I think it's a shame many people think that we opt for this surgery as an easy way out, when in reality it's because we have STRUGGLED trying to lose our weight and we are trying this as our last resort. You are correct in saying this is a tool and that is exactly how we should see it, a tool in order for us to get to the goal we need to live healthy lives.

It sounds like for the most part you are meeting your goal of replacing one meal a day with a Protein shake. Even better when you replace two.

Most of us have gone through the supervised diet portion, mine was supposed to be 6 months but turned out to go 9 before I was approved and surgery was scheduled.

The goal is to work towards changing behaviors long term because that is what will be required to actually lose the weight even with the surgery. Many folks believe that the surgery will solve everything. For a very short time, you can pretty much do anything after surgery and lose weight.

The issue of course is that the "honeymoon" period is literally only a few months long so if you don't change behaviors, down the road the surgery won't matter and you will likely gain weight.

I am 2 years post op and I honestly thought the weight loss part of my journey would be the hardest. Well, I was completely WRONG! Maintenance for me is the most difficult because you are at goal and in order to stop losing need to increase your intake slightly. Well, you go back and forth constantly. I got down to 158 from 310, then gained back 5lbs, then lost 3, then gained 5......Maintaining your weight is a constant battle with your brain. I am now trying to lose that 5lbs again. LOL....which when you are at or near goal is not so easy, at least for me.

The surgery is your tool but your brain is what is really in control so it is important to take the time early to truly learn new behaviors and make better choices.

You are taking the right steps and especially when you fall off.f Just dust yourself off and keep on going.

Best of luck to you!

The New Kel, that's awesome! Glad to know someone from my corner of the world is here. I'm glad to have stumbled upon this site and I agree with you, I think Dr. Lara and Acosta are great and their staff is superb!

@@TexasguyEP,

Hello fellow Texan! I'm from El Paso too, and I had my surgery with Dr Lara, Jose Acosta's partner! When you do go through surgery, let me say, you will be in great hands. I find the whole team to be exceptional!

I think you are doing a great job, and you have gone above what was asked of you. Don't be too hard on yourself, just stick to at least one shake replacement a day, and aim for that 5 lb loss by your next appointment.

Welcome to the boards! I look forward to hearing more about your journey, fellow South westerner!

shedo82773, Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I commend you for taking the steps you are taking!! You are making changes now. Just remember everything you do now will make your preop go so much easier on yourself. Keep your eyes on the prize and Keep on keeping on!! BTW I did 2 weeks of Protein drinks preop and 4 weeks of Protein Drinks postop. You can do this!!

Premier Protein is really filling and it doesn't taste nasty to me anyhow... and they're 30g of Protein. You've incorporated a walk aka exercise into your date and added the at least one meal replaced. That's great - and yes, you are going to falter before surgery because part of your mind hasn't exactly grabbed hold of what you're doing and is subconsciously resisting.

I'm having issues with that atm even after surgery. I think a lot of weight loss is mental and realizing that what you want to do and being mentally strong enough to do it. There are a lot of people here to help support you along the way and help you to find ways to get it done.

So far my way (since I restarted) is to keep busy enough I don't have time for food, I'm hoping it works out!

For my six month pre-op diet, I gave up the "white trash".

No flour, sugar, potatoes, bread, rice, noodles, Pasta, Cookies, candy, pie, cake or cereals. I ate dense Protein and non-starchy vegetables. I also quit diet soda and increased Water.

After surgery there was no withdrawal or cravings. The purpose of the six month diet is to prepare for a new way of eating.

Premier Protein is what I drink in the morning and occasionally i will add blueberries to it. Delicious and filling. I believe all have 20g Protein in them.

Sent from my VS880PP using the BariatricPal App

Someone I know is taking Premier, I just went with Syntrax nectar Sweets based on caloric and protein value. If I'm not mistaken, I'm looking at 24 g of protein per scoop at only 100 cal. The only thing I incorporate to it are 1 oz of chia seeds to every shake and 8 oz of 2% milk. In all, I'm looking at 238 cal, 18 g of Fiber, 24 carbs, 36.7 g of protein and 12 g of sugar. It makes for a pretty good meal and I really like the flavors they offer.

Premier Protein is really filling and it doesn't taste nasty to me anyhow... and they're 30g of Protein. You've incorporated a walk aka exercise into your date and added the at least one meal replaced. That's great - and yes, you are going to falter before surgery because part of your mind hasn't exactly grabbed hold of what you're doing and is subconsciously resisting.

I'm having issues with that atm even after surgery. I think a lot of weight loss is mental and realizing that what you want to do and being mentally strong enough to do it. There are a lot of people here to help support you along the way and help you to find ways to get it done.

So far my way (since I restarted) is to keep busy enough I don't have time for food, I'm hoping it works out!

Best of luck! I think you'll do great. I'm just glad in a way I'm putting myself through this now, hopefully I'll be mentally and physically prepared for when the time comes.

My ins co is wants me to go for dietitian for three months

Sent from my LGLS660 using the BariatricPal App

3 mo's. is not bad at all, I'm sure you'll do great! We just have to keep eye on the prize. I just finished my third visit and have one more to go.