Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can only give you my personal experience and I would push for the sleeve.

My mom and other friends have gone with the bypass and they definitely had more issues, especially with the dumping. I just feel like it is best to not change the bodies nature plumbing if not necessary. I am down 162 lbs in a little over 7 months, the weight loss is up to you and your decision to change the way you relate to food... Forever! The sleeve is not as good restrictive as the bypass, so you will need better will power, but you deserve this... Be your own coach, be your own inspiration, and you will make the changes :) I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can only give you my personal experience and I would push for the sleeve.

My mom and other friends have gone with the bypass and they definitely had more issues, especially with the dumping. I just feel like it is best to not change the bodies nature plumbing if not necessary. I am down 162 lbs in a little over 7 months, the weight loss is up to you and your decision to change the way you relate to food... Forever! The sleeve is not as good restrictive as the bypass, so you will need better will power, but you deserve this... Be your own coach, be your own inspiration, and you will make the changes :) I hope this helps

Dumping is not just a bypass thing, and even then I want to say only 30% of bypass patients actually dump. (Don't quote me on that but it is something around there)

With both surgeries substantial weight loss will happen. How much weight do you need to lose? Bypass patients tend to lose a little more quicker. But even then you are in charge of how and what you do to lose said weight.

If you have GERD issues, sleeve has the chance of making that worse due to the surgery taking place.

Research, research, research!!

Gastric bypass will cure a lot of problems such as Gerd, diabetes, and high blood pressure. I had stage two hypertension and on meds. I was off my meds within two weeks after surgery.

With Gastric bypass, you'll always need to take a high amount of Vitamins cause a lot isn't absorbed, including food. Sugar is not tolerable with gastric bypass, but with the sleeve it is. Which to me, if you have poor self control, the sleeve isn't the greatest idea. I know it's hard for me to control, so I'd rather have those restrictions to make me behave.

You lose more weight in the long run and faster with bypass. The sleeve reminds me of a serious surgical version of a lap band. My dad has the lap band and it's not very successful. Yes, it slows you down on eating, but doesn't stop you from eating whatever you want.

I wanted to lose the most weight with the faster results, along with the strict restrictions of the bypass. If I was going to go through a surgery, I'm diving in head first into this. That's what I did and I don't regret it. I'm 15 weeks post op from gastric bypass. I started at 338 lbs and I'm down to 258 lbs. That's 80 lbs in a bit over 3 months. My goal is 200 lbs.

Edited by PrinceVanHalen

@@achappex3 thank you so much.I agree their is no need to change my plumbing I'm fine in all areas .I just want to lose as much as possible.I am willing to do the work to keep it off.My surgeon did say that I will lose more weight with the bypass like 20 pounds and faster .But I'm still stuck .I just don't want to be sick in the long run .Thanks again your advice was everything to me.

@@PrinceVanHalen thanks for your advice too .I am just like you I want to lose weight fast and my Surgeon did tell me I will more weight and faster with the bypass .I do have a sugar problem that's my number one thing I can't stay away and breads.I don't want to lose weight and gain it back then what's a the point of surgery .I want to limit what I put in my mouth so it won't come back with proper exercise .And once again I agree with you if I'm having the surgery I might as well dive in .Its not like I have a second chance at this .

I just decided and for me the final decision maker was GERD or acid reflux. The sleeve is very likely to make it much worse and mine is so bad. Bypass is the best option for me. You'll need to figure out the pros and cons for you.

I just decided and for me the final decision maker was GERD or acid reflux. The sleeve is very likely to make it much worse and mine is so bad. Bypass is the best option for me. You'll need to figure out the pros and cons for you.

My gerd is out of control and I'm 4 years sleeve post op. My r n y revision will be Nov or Dec this year. Even with fasting Water alone for 3 days the gerd is still there and it's too much medicine barely helps anymore !!!

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

My gerd is out of control and I'm 4 years sleeve post op. My r n y revision will be Nov or Dec this year. Even with fasting Water alone for 3 days the gerd is still there and it's too much medicine barely helps anymore !!!

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

I am so sorry. I hope the revision helps immediately. I've heard it does!! Prayers.

The bottom line is no matter what we all say is not your answer the answer is to do the research find out about both surgeries find out the good and the bad what your needs are and talk with your care team that is what they are for and what your are paying them for. you have to really do the reading regardless of what anyone say. I went through the same thing last mouth. I had to figure out what I wanted out of the surgery, and needed they both have some good points but I needed what can do the best for me, because I know me and this the last hurrah for me if this don't work I am not doing another wls even if I could so really use your resources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!