Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Fail to Sleeve fail. :(

Hello. i'm new on here.

just want to share my story to seek advice.

when i was 15 back in 2008, i got the lap band.

it was the worst experience ever. i was only loosing weight because i threw up EVERY SINGLE bit of food i ate. i lost 80lb very very quickly and i was extremely sick.

my doctor said it shouldn't be happening, so instead of trying to fix it he drained my band. After a year i started to gain weight.

In 2012 i was revised to the gastric sleeve. at this time, this procedure was brand new to my doctor, he hadn't done it before. I got it done quickly after the appointments with him, maybe 3 months.

i was a slow loser for a whole year. it took me a year to lose 70 pounds, even eating what i thought was healthy (Protein first and some vegetables and brown rice, wha i was taught). i wasn't never really taught about carbs at all, always just eat "whole grain everything but eat your Protein first and you should be fine" none of the information that i learned now from the fb group.

i got into my first relationship, went to the DR and was diagnosed with PCOS, like lots of girls are. I was put on birth control and as soon as i did my weight shit up. as it shot up and me not knowing why i threw myself into a mind change that i couldn't shake out. while working 2 jobs (13 hour days) i began to lose care about myself, and regained most my weight, shooting back up to 230.

i hadn't noticed the weight gain for a while, either because i'd stopped weighing myself.

last year i started to exercise and count my calories and lost 20 lbs. even continuing it again, i have not budged.

does anyone have any advice?

yes, i know that you need to diet with the sleeve. it wasn't till recently by following where i learned about macros and counting calories and Protein shakes.

my mother recently got the sleeve procedure, and i was thinking of going to her doctor to discuss my options, because mine no longer takes my new insurance and he is a pediatric doctor.

do you think he would help me, or just toss me to a nutritionist?

thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@homeesiick

Your old Dr sounds like a quack, no offense.

You probably don't have a properly formed sleeve, it isn't easy to make a sleeve the right size, and if that was his first one, it is unlikely he did it right. Also he is a pediatrician and not a bariatric surgeon? Did I read that correctly?

I would start with seeing a new Dr and have them order tests and evaluate your sleeve and make sure it is really correctly done. I think any Dr would want to see exactly what they are working with before just passing you off to a nutritionist.

thanks. he i actually one of the leading pediatric doctors in the US. but yes, he's a primary pediatric surgeon. i was his youngest he performed the lap band on at 14 turning 15. and i wasn't the first for his sleeves, but it was still very very new. maybe thy didn't have the different sizes that they do now.

i will take your advice, thanks!

@@homeesiick Go to your Mom's surgeon. It sounds as though the sleeve may not have been done properly (as mentioned). With PCOS - it is very difficult to lose weight on your own! The only time I have been successful was when I basically did no carbs (other than veggies/fruit) and still it wasn't flying off. There's alternatives to birth control that you may want to look into as well but I don't think you'll have problems loosing weight while taking the pill (if your sleeve is working properly). Good luck!!!

thanks. he i actually one of the leading pediatric doctors in the US. but yes, he's a primary pediatric surgeon. i was his youngest he performed the lap band on at 14 turning 15. and i wasn't the first for his sleeves, but it was still very very new. maybe thy didn't have the different sizes that they do now.

They don't have "sizes" of sleeves. It's all in relation to your body. The surgeon works with the anesthesiologist to pass a small tube into your tummy, and that is what sizes your sleeve. The surgeon staples as close as possible to the tube.

I'd go to a reputable gastric surgeon. I can't believe a pediatrician did this at such a young age. Please consult a bariatric expert.

Best of luck!

You are so young to have endured all this and I sounds heartbreaking. That being aid, you need expert medical advice so RUN to a doctor you can trust and feel comfortable with. I think with the right guidance you can get on track! Best wishes, I am so sorry you wet through this, and you can succeed! Never give up! Big hug!!!

You are so young to have endured all this and I sounds heartbreaking. That being aid, you need expert medical advice so RUN to a doctor you can trust and feel comfortable with. I think with the right guidance you can get on track! Best wishes, I am so sorry you wet through this, and you can succeed! Never give up! Big hug!!!

thank you so much

They don't have "sizes" of sleeves. It's all in relation to your body. The surgeon works with the anesthesiologist to pass a small tube into your tummy, and that is what sizes your sleeve. The surgeon staples as close as possible to the tube.

I'd go to a reputable gastric surgeon. I can't believe a pediatrician did this at such a young age. Please consult a bariatric expert.

Best of luck!

thanks for the advice! will make an appointment for monday.

thank you so much

Best of luck!

thanks for the advice! will make an appointment for monday.

Good. ❤????

Please update us after your appointment on Monday. Just know that we are in your corner! You can do this! You are headed in the right direction for an awesome solution and you deserve it!

i have been looked down upon by every member of my family who knows. so i thank you guys so much for the support! i will update!!