Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op 2 Week Liquid Diet

Hello Everyone

I am scheduled to do the sleeve in October. I am told that I will be required to do a two week liquid diet. So I decided yesterday I will try it out for two days to see if I could make it. Well I started out strong each day but by the end of each I had a headache and fell victim to the junk food. I ate Cookies thinking it wasn't a plate of solid food and it won't hurt. My question is what did you all have to keep you from getting headaches and feeling hungry?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What I had was the knowledge that I only had to do this for two weeks and that it was in my best interest to stick to it. I felt horrible for the first few days, I was hungry and very cross and I had headaches. But it passes and you have to keep your eye on the goal. I'm just a few days from my surgery and I'm sick to death of my pre-op diet, but I'm getting closer every day!

I agree with Clea. I'm currently at day five of my second pre-op liquid diet and you have to believe in the purpose and want the results to make it. I've lost 130lbs and believe me it's definitely worth it. I also humbly recommend to you that you'd better start getting used to the concept of not eating Cookies in general... WLS requires following simple but challenging eating rules and changing the way you view food forever... You're not eating Cookies and unhealthy Snacks isn't only going to be for two weeks, it's going to be forever if you really want to succeed. Start to view food as fuel and stay focused on the results. They'll come if you stick to the plan. The liquid diet does get better after the first three to four days. So look forward to that. I wish you the best in your surgery.

AS

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for replying. I am well aware that my future will change as it relates to my eating habits. I am working extremely hard to overcome this. This is why I started to try the liquid diet sooner than later. I am managing throughout the day. I just have to plan better for the day. I am actually on Pinterest now trying to get better ideas. Thanks again both of you and good luck.

Thanks for replying. I am well aware that my future will change as it relates to my eating habits. I am working extremely hard to overcome this. This is why I started to try the liquid diet sooner than later. I am managing throughout the day. I just have to plan better for the day. I am actually on Pinterest now trying to get better ideas. Thanks again both of you and good luck.

Instead of trying the liquid diet (which the goal is to shrink your liver for surgery) - why don't you eat how you will need to post-op (once healed). Do a high Protein, low carb diet. No Cookies, soda, Pasta, etc. That will better prepare you for living with your sleeve and it's healthy. With the liquid diet - every time you have carbs/sugars - your body goes back to square one. It's like detoxing every day. I think if you start to eliminate carbs now - but eat healthy (not just liquids) you'll be in great shape and ready to handle the 2 week pre-op.

There's no need to torture yourself by doing only liquids now. Good luck!

Practice how you'll be eating too (small plates, eat slow, don't eat in front of TV, eat 5-6 times a day (small amounts) every 3 hrs, don't snack or graze. You can also start preparing mentally. That's the toughest part. Here's a good article. I also went to a few therapy sessions to learn to deal with emotional eating / cravings. You can do this!!!

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/diet-weight-loss/emotional-eating.htm

Did you try having Protein smoothies/drinks when you were trying to go liquid for a bit? I am trying to make so slow changes, as it will cost over $5000 I don't have yet for my surgery so I know it will be next year. I haven't even gotten to the presentation for people considering it yet. BUT, I'm trying to eliminate some of the things I know I won't be able to have again now. And trying to take Vitamins (just regular daily vitamins) and start each morning with Protein liquid after my shower. I figure these habits will help me better in the long run. This month is super tight for us financially with back to school and all it entails, but once we get past that my next step is start eliminating pastas and breads. Doing more lunchmeat roll ups and such. Eventually I want to have my carb count w/in about 50 per day above what I will be allowed after surgery. The other big thing I'm trying to get in the habit of, is having food ready to take everyday. I depend way too much on being able to grab something. I think right now that is going to be my hardest hurdle. I'm not much of a planner in general.

The other big thing I'm trying to get in the habit of, is having food ready to take everyday. I depend way too much on being able to grab something. I think right now that is going to be my hardest hurdle. I'm not much of a planner in general.

This is a really important and a key to being successful both pre-op and post-op. I try to make something on a Sunday to bring to work for lunches. This week I made chicken (actually in the crock pot so I didn't have to turn on oven in this heat) and had chicken breast with frozen broccoli side one day and chicken salad two other days. Today I didn't have much to bring so I just grabbed a can of black Beans - (sometimes I'll grab a can of tuna and a tomato) - which will stop me from running out at lunch to grab something fast (and carb loaded). I was taking yogurt for Breakfast but my body has had enough - can't gag it down right now - so I have been bringing a premier Protein shake instead.

Edited by KristenLe

Good for you for trying to work through this early. I do agree with the others that you don't need to go to the liquid diet to see if you can do it, you just have to do it when the time comes. Take 1 day, 1 hour, 1 minute at a time if you have to and keep your eye on the prize.

Don't think about how long it will be, it will be over before you know it and then you will be on the post op diet.

For now, start focusing on small changes that you can maintain. I read somewhere that it takes 13 days in a row to build a habit, and one to undo it.

Try working on simple things like:

1. Eating good quality dense Proteins. chicken, turkey, beef, pork, seafood. Some of the best food I found after surgery is fish and shrimp. Low in calories, filling and stays with you. Also lobster and crab....I am alergic to those but used to eat them years ago and if I could I would eat them often.

2. The biggest habit of all is ensuring you are drinking a minimum of 48 to 64 oz of Water every day. It really is one of the hardest habits to build but will make you very very successful early on. If you cannot drink Water, add SF crystal light to it but drink every day all day long.

3. Use a smaller plate to eat off of. I use a very small Cereal bowl, even now 23 months post op. My 1 cup of food looks like a lot and many times I cannot finish it.

4. Chew chew chew your food. You need to pay close attention while you eat and go very slowly. This really does give your brain time to get the signal for your stomach when it is full. This rule is very important because one spoon or forkful after surgery can mean the difference between pain in your chest and vomiting. I don't vomit, but if I eat more than I should my stomach hurts very bad. It is a sharp pain as if something is stuck but it's not, I just ate too fast or too much and it can ruin a meal post surgery and make you miserable until it passes.

5. Just get a little more active everyday. If you don't walk now, start. Go a little further every day. It will help you during recovery.

6. Get rid of all the junk (yes, Cookies too) in your house. Remove Pasta, rice, bread, sugary sweets from your pantry. Donate all of the processed packaged goods like that blue box of Kraft Mac and cheese that was in my kitchen. No More soda or caffeine at this time either

7. Stay away from fast food! If you need to eat out, go to Panera and get a Soup and salad or to noodles and company and get a buff bowl. Very healthy options here.

8. Start buying lots of vegetables, fresh and frozen are best. Learn to cook them to your liking so you eat them with your dense Protein.

9. If you don't cook, take a cooking class or two, you will need them. The best foods for you are the homemade ones that you know what is going in them. Pinterest has really great healthy recipes and even some that are not so healthy but you can change if you are a cook or learn enough to get bold. There are also a ton of Bariatric recipes that could help you.

Now I am not saying do this all at once. I started with 1 or 2 as I had a nine month process. I would work 1 or 2 each month and before I knew it I was no longer drinking anything but water and I was very well hydrated. I also stopped watching tv while eating just so I could pay more attention.

There are other rules for after surgery but this should be a good list for you to focus your efforts on. Don't try to do everything at once.

Lastly if you are a smoker you need to quit now! Give your self time to get back that addiction. It is not an easy one to break and most surgeons will not operate if you are a smoker. It is because your body heals poorly and for WLS patients when the nutrition is much harder the first couple of months you don't need to be healing poorly from both smoking and lack of nutrition.

Sorry for the long post but my nutritionist gave me a simliar list after my first meeting and I was so thankful that I was able to use my waiting time.

It helped me lose 152lbs. I now weight 158 and have been at goal since March. This has been the best decision I ever made for myself. I have an exciting new life because of weight loss surgery.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I just want to back track a a little. I have already cut out rice, bread, Pasta, oatmeal, grits, crackers. I have spoken to my nutritionist back in May. She gave me a list of dos and don'ts. I have eliminated something regularly. I just wanted to see how my body and MIND would handle the liquid for two weeks. I have not gotten over the cookie yet. I must admit. After reading the article that was posted I am determined to start to eliminate them too. I go to Panera regularly. I also substitute with a meal for an island impact from smoothie King. I eat two veggies and a meat. I eat tuna or salmon in the pack and boiled eggs. I am not 100% there yet but I am making small changes. I will take all of the advice because this is a life time change and I have to keep it creative

I also substitute with a meal for an island impact from smoothie King. I eat two veggies and a meat. I eat tuna or salmon in the pack and boiled eggs. I am not 100% there yet but I am making small changes. I will take all of the advice because this is a life time change and I have to keep it creative

Sounds like you are doing MANY of the right things, great job!!

You may want to reconsider smoothies, though, unless you make them yourself with high Protein, low carb ingredients. smoothies are one of those things that sound healthy, but are really too many carbs, fat & calories. Even the 20 oz has 310 calories. Even if they don't add sugar, the fruit alone is high in carbs and will increase cravings and is probably equal to much more than 1 serving of fruit.

You are better off eating a small piece of fruit and/or making Protein smoothies with Protein powder, ice & Water.

chocolate Protein Powder is great with PB2 added.

If it's the fruity flavors that you like, Syntrax nectar has many flavors.

Best of luck in your ongoing journey, keep up the many positive changes that you have made

@@hipnthighsfordays Be very careful with smoothies. That Island Impact has 65 gms sugar. (And that's one of the "slim" products)! My sister went with a friend to get a smoothie (friend was dieting) - the smoothie that was supposed to be so healthy had 110 gms of sugar. ????????

They advertise them as healthy but they're usually loaded with sugar and will derail you.