Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post-op.

I get WAAYYY over 64oz of fluids in, but at this point I'm only getting 32-48oz of Water.

Is the 64oz any Fluid or just water? Bc man. I hate water. I drank 12 diet cokes a day in my pre-surgery life and didn't even touch the clear, tasteless stuff. I know that's bad and full of chemicals, but can I sub Vitamin water zero for regular water? Or do I need to suck it up and drink the clear stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon and NUT says that any calorie free beverage counts towards fluids. They also allowed me to count Soups and Protein shakes towards my Fluid goals.

you can sub the vit Water zero for some of it, but I wouldn't have more than two a day. your b Vitamins in your bloodwork may be too high if you drink too many of them.

Any kind of Fluid is fine. Even coffee and beer (not that I am recommending either!) will keep you hydrated.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/milk-and-other-surprising-ways-to-stay-hydrated/

Reporting on a scientific study of the hydrating effects of many different beverages:

"drinks containing moderate amounts of caffeine and alcohol or high levels of sugar had hydration indexes no different from Water. In other words, coffee and beer are not dehydrating, despite common beliefs to the contrary."

@@Christinamo7 Between the bariatric Vitamins, Vitamins in the Protein shakes, and vitamins in the Water, I swear I'm drowning in vitamins! I'm looking forward to getting my blood work done to see where I stand. I'm definitely getting more vitamins in by about 500% than in my pre surgery diet!

You know, come to think of it, maybe all the Vitamins are why I can't sleep. My pre surgery life consisted of 3 cups of coffee and as many diet cokes as I could down. I mean it's great that I'm living the caffeine-free life now, but I figured without the caff I'd sleep like a baby. Could the Vitamins be giving me all this energy?

Edited by LowBMISleever

I hated Water before I started on this journey. I used to quote W.C. Fields all the time (fish fornicate in it, if you've never heard the line). I lived and died by my Mio drops for months. Then I started finding that the taste was too strong, and started reducing how much I put in. Then I started drinking plain Water most of the time. I still have to have highly filtered or bottled water if I'm drinking it "straight" and it has to be ice cold. But it's possible to go from a water hater to a water lover. :)

And now that I'm on my pre-op diet, I'm trying out all the different Protein drink things. I am LOVING Syntrax Nectar!! It won't be my only water intake of course, but it will allow me to get my Protein in and up my overall fluids.

Good luck!!

@@LowBMISleever -

You know, come to think of it, maybe all the Vitamins are why I can't sleep. My pre surgery life consisted of 3 cups of coffee and as many diet cokes as I could down. I mean it's great that I'm living the caffeine-free life now, but I figured without the caff I'd sleep like a baby. Could the Vitamins be giving me all this energy?

Yes, esp. B vitamins. But it also could be that you are getting some extra testosterone because of the fat loss. Extra B's won't kill you, but its worth monitoring because of your sleep.

Everyones journey is different. My NUT made it quite clear to me Clear Liquids count toward Fluid goals. Refer to your clear liquid guidelines for more options because it doesn't have to all be Water. There are a variety of ways to get your Fluid needs met. Bone broth (counts toward liquids and protein), sugarfree Jello, Popsicles, diluted fruit juices like apple juice and cranberry juice, coffee no cream, tea, Gatorade/powerade zero, Water with crystal light or other low cal/sugar free flavorings.

Protein shakes like premier I was told count toward Protein goals not liquid. But the protein juices count toward fluid and protein goals so there are ways to get creative and make them both count. Be sure to discuss it with your NUT to clarify what they consider as fluids that count toward your fluid goals.

I'm getting the low end of my Protein goals in it was recommended for me to get between 60-80g and try to get in at least 40 oz of fluids a day. I was finding it difficult to do with just Water alone, however adding a popsicle here and there, bone broth etc is helping me to increase my Fluid intake. I will eventually get up to 64oz but for now its a struggle to get in the 40. Its already 5 pm and I'm still working on my 20oz water bottle. 5 more sips to go... Then refill... I have my daughters Softball game to sit through and its HOT today. I'm sure I'll finish it before its over.