Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I had a lap band for five years and had it removed in May. My sleeve is scheduled for August 24, and I'm very excited. Unfortunately the timing is not ideal as I need to return to work soon after surgery. I'm a teacher. I have two in-service days the following week with no students, and then almost another week of rest. All said and done I will have to work for two days within the 14 after my surgery. My question is how people would compare or contrast the lap band surgeries to the sleeve surgery ? My own experiences with those surgeries were quite good. I did not feel a tremendous amount of pain and was up and moving relatively quickly. My biggest problem was gas, which I alleviated by walking and walking and walking. I'm starting to get very nervous about not having enough recovery time and need some reassurance if possible. Thank you.

I just had revision surgery all in one last tuesday and im going to work Monday. I feel like i could have gone to work friday. I have a desk job. I feel soreness obviously and weak from lack of nutrition but capable of working. You got this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank u for the support. I hope today, ur first day back, goes well!

I just had revision surgery all in one last tuesday and im going to work Monday. I feel like i could have gone to work friday. I have a desk job. I feel soreness obviously and weak from lack of nutrition but capable of working. You got this.

That's great! Who was your surgeon? Was it done as outpatient? Mine will be done as outpatient and that's why I'm asking. My wife will be asking for FML to care for me. Based on your experience, how many days should she stay with me, if at all. I don't want her to miss too much work as we need the money. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi I had revision from band to sleeve on 7/26 and my own experience my recovery has been much slower than when I got the band. I stayed in the hospital 2 days and I planned to take 1 week off work and actually had to take 2. The area were my port was hurt for a couple of days. My body is taking a little longer to recover. But I'm thinking since I had troubles with my band and was not able to eat for about 3 weeks before surgery my body was already weak. Everyone is different. Good Luck and hope u have a speedy recovery.

I am so nervous as well. Supposed to have my bandvremoved 8/15/16 and have to wait 2 to 3 months to get the sleeve really wished they could/would do all in 1 but hoping for the best!

That's great! Who was your surgeon? Was it done as outpatient? Mine will be done as outpatient and that's why I'm asking. My wife will be asking for FML to care for me. Based on your experience, how many days should she stay with me, if at all. I don't want her to miss too much work as we need the money. Thank you so much in advance.

I had my surg in san antonio tx. My surgeon was dr Alvarez. It was a breeze. I was only in the hospital 2 days. My hubby stayed with me. I had my revision surg on a tuesday and went to work the following monday with zero issues. I needed help from my hubby for abt 4 days. Thats it!

3-4 days is what they told me.

I had a bad to sleeve done on 08/09/2016. My surgeon and I discussed the possibility of needing two procedures, a JP drain, and other outcomes. They were able to all in one but surgery took longer than anticipate and they were able to repair a ventral hernia as well. Post operative I had the worst pain possible and the Lap Band was a breeze I woke up utterly shocked at the amount of pain I was having. From the ports really and not the stomach. I was up and walking a few hours after they got me to the floor and a slug of pain medication thru the IV. But I continue to struggle with the pain and keep myself up and walking every hour I am awake just to keep moving and did dishes tonight. I stayed in hospital for 4 days as I had pain that was unrelenting and the following morning had some fever so they thought it best to keep an eye on me. Left there Friday morning and been trying to cope with pain. I had asked for extended time off as I have the time and am grateful that I have it. Can only hope that others experiences are great and having them up and running. I do have a JP drain due to the extensive time in surgery an scar tissue they had to dig thru. I am hoping to get that removed this week.

Just an update the drain is gone and now I have a blood clot in the right upper arm from the IV it is superficial but it is also extensive so awaiting to game plan for that.

Just a FYI the drain being removed tugged at first and was just uncomfortable and not painful in case others are wondering in case they wake up with one.

Have a great day!