Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I make a mistake?

Ok y'all, seriously... How long after your surgery did you stop having this thought??

I had surgery a week ago. The pain pills I was on (hydrocodone 5/ acetemen 325) hasn't done poop aside from make me nauseous so I stopped taking them. Called the Dr and was told they'll discuss when I come in on Wednesday for my follow up. Ugh.

I literally look like a giant bus came and punched me in the pooch, y'all! Water tastes differently to me now and where I was getting 200+ oz a day in before, I'm doing well to get in 20 now. I drink Powerade zero and get at least 75 oz if sugar free fluids a day, but I know it's not the same.

Protein is a joke. Taking meds is a joke. The idea of swallowing anything makes me feel ill. I'm doing well to get 50 grams of protein in as well.

I realize I sound like a giant whiney butt, but will this go away???

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I never thought a made a mistake after surgery.

However like you, the pain meds did more harm than good. I stopped taking them right away and felt better.

Swallowing hurts but it is easier on you if you drink all day, even if it hurts, not drinking doesn't help you.

The first 2 weeks are rough but the 3rd week is better.

I never thought a made a mistake after surgery.

However like you, the pain meds did more harm than good. I stopped taking them right away and felt better.

Swallowing hurts but it is easier on you if you drink all day, even if it hurts, not drinking doesn't help you.

The first 2 weeks are rough but the 3rd week is better.

OutsideMatchInside,

Thanks for the response! I'm very glad you never thought you had made a mistake. Normally, I have an EXTREMELY high pain level (no pain meds after Achilles tendon transplant, wisdom teeth taken out, etc). I'm drinking as much as I can, even if it's not Water. Thanks for the input!

The day after my surgery I had some gas pain in the afternoon.. I was like why did I do this???? But about 45 min later it went away and I've felt great since. I haven't used my pain meds either..

@@greeneyedgrrl24

Now that I am further out, I realize that having a sleeve is kind of like having strep throat. If you stop drinking when you have strep throat your throat swells to the point you can't swallow at all. The sleeve is kind of the same, if you keep drinking it keeps it open. If you stop is swells. Even know if I cut back on how much I eat, like I am sick so I don't really eat, I go back to a lot of restriction, so try to drink all day. Tea and broth, warm things help so much.

buyers remorse isn't that uncommon. I had surgery on a Wednesday and thought Friday morning....what have I done? I wasn't sick, hurting or anything else, I just realized old way of eating was a thing of my past. I didn't dwell on it because I was 260+ pounds at that moment and I was tired of fighting the weight and not getting any where. That epiphany is what made me remember why I did the surgery. I never looked back....107 pounds lighter.

Your body just went through a major surgery. You are in the healing phase. Each day things will get better. Make sure you are getting up and walking often. If you have someone to go with you get outside and walk. Each day try to go a little farther. Make sure you sip sip sip all day long.

The whole Constipation thing was the one thing that made me wonder if I did the right thing. I am down 83 lbs at 6 months out though. My only regret is not having done it years ago. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Edited by beachwalker4rny

I'm 4 months out and often forget I even had surgery. Everyday gets better. By 4-6 weeks you feel good, 2 months I got some energy back. I found I quickly fell into my new lifestyle of eating healthy, small portions and now it's the new normal. Hang in there, it will get better!

Thanks, y'all. I guess I failed to mention I had the full DS. On my surgery date, I was 365 (at 5'6"). I honestly felt I had no other choice. Like @@Harsha mentions, I did have some pretty serious pain for two days after surgery...I thought I was having a heart attack. The bulk of that has subsided to a level I can handle.

Walking is difficult as I have pretty severe neuropathy (thanks, Type II diabetes!) and my endo has me off most of my neuropathy meds until my glucose stabilizes. I'm hoping once that happens, I can get to moving.

I also realized my Drs aren't the best, even though one of them is the president of the state bariatric society.

Thanks for all the assurances. I'm sending each of y'all a neck hug!

The one suggestion I would make is try drinking room temp Water as opposed to cold Water. For some reason it really does go down better. My stomach even now, nearly two years post op prefers room temperature water and I can drink a lot of it. YOu are right, water really is so much better that the Powerade.

If room temp water don't work try even a cup of warm water to start, as the day progresses and your tummy warms up, it then allows you to drink colder beverages.

I am not sure why this is but if you read on here it is pretty common.

Mistake?? As opposed to what...staying Morbidly Obese?

Bariatric surgery criteria...(at least when I had it done) You must be morbidly obese, and you must show that you have tried and failed at other options over the years in terms of traditional non surgical dieting.

In other words, a last resort.

So it was THE last resort for me, and I am glad to say after 5-1/2 years I am still 100% successful, being of normal weight and very low body fat %.

No fear of ever gaining any weight back, live a normal day to day life enjoying the foods and drink that I choose.

Diet will forever be a 4 letter word!!!

Mistake?

Thank you so much for these words!! I keep reading them over and again. I appreciate it!