Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharing My Experience Just In Case It Might Help

I had my surgery on Thursday afternoon August 16th, everything went great. I was sent home two hours later and had everything on hand thanks to the great suggestions on this site. I am kind of a baby with medical stuff so on Sunday when it was time to remove the bandages I had my husband remove them and low and behold I fainted (what a whimp huh) well we chalked it up to me being a baby but then on Tuesday morning when we were showering I fainted in the shower, came to and then fainted again so that was two more times. Well the husband decided this just wasnt right so we went to the doctor. Now I want to make sure I add I always have a water bottle by my side, I was eating exactly to the instructions, I felt good and was keeping everything down just fine. The doctor said I was dehydrated and it was causing my blood pressure to go so low I was fainting. I thought I was drinking enough but I wasnt, just drinking when I felt thirsty wasnt enough now I am drinking Water and Crystal Light like crazy, I realize everyone is different but I just wanted to share how important getting the fluids in were in my instance. Wishing everyone well, I am happy to be in band land and dont regret it for one single second. Take care.

Drinking just when you are thirsty is NOT an option. You have to sip liquids continuously in the early stages in order to keep things working right in your body. The reason I say continuously is because you are not downing that much liquid in each sip....just a tiny bit at first. I had a bottle of spring Water and I was sipping at least every 10 minutes or so all through the day and evening (wqhen I was awake, that is) and it took a LONG time to get through that first bottle, which is only 16 ounces.

Glad you shared. I, too was having fainting spells. I had surgery the 17th. I thought it was obviously the lack of food, but I bet you I was dehydrated. Thanks for the info. I need to push myself more. I guess because I am drinking all of my meals I feel I don't need to drink as much.

<p>thank you for sharing I was also banded on 08/17/07 ,, I have been feeling week, I think I do need to drink more ,,,</p>

Also get your hands on some Protein Drinks. Having Protein in your system will help with the nausea and fatigue. One I like is Isopure protein drink...this is premade and a clear liquid (not a powder) and it comes in about 8 flavors. It's a great way to get your protein down. You can drink it straight, or if it seems a little sweet I just cut it with Water and drink it over ice. A bottle has about 42 gms of protein which is a HUGE amount. The body absorbs about 24 in one sitting, so you can drink half a bottle at a time (or stretch it waaaaayyyy out) and get a great protein fix. Some body builder type health stores carry it. GNC doesn't. You can buy it online too.