Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How sore was your abdomen?

Just curious how sore everyone felt 1 day post-op? I had a c-section with my daughter and that was a bit tough. It was about a week before I was moving around really well but still had to be careful.

If anyone has time and cares to write and can remember.... What was your first day post-op like??? Pain, sleeping, moving etc...

I also had a c-section and I can tell you the next day it felt about 1/2 as bad as the c-sec. I could get up and walk (I had to) but felt sore in the upper abdomen vs. the lower. It got better every day and recovery is much faster than w/ the c-section.

Never had a c-section. Day 1 I felt like I was hit by a Mac truck. Day 3 I felt like I was hit by a Mini Cooper. Day 6 I only have a slight pain when getting in or out of bed, or if I try to do things too fast or bend in a stupid position.

Remember to bring a flat pillow to the clinic with you, so you can tuck in under your seatbelt going home. I still do that even now in case my hubby stops fast.

I think day ONE was cake compared to days 2-3! But I've never had a c-section and based on what people post days 2-3 aren't as difficult as a c-section either......just follow the advice and "lists" of things to have from the kind people on this forum and you'll be fine! IE.....use the GAS_X strips, walk, take liquid tylenol......etc.

Day 1 was not too bad for me as I had painkillers in the IV till I checked out of the clinic. About day 3 I did feel sore like I had done a million situps. Sometimes the incisions burn just a slight bit but none of the pain has been intolerable. Getting out of bed gets easier every day & I've finally turned to my right side as I'd been sleeping on my back since surgery. I have very slight bruising in the incision areas but I haven't taken pain meds since a couple of days ago. It really hasn't helped that I got a cold a couple of days ago. The coughing & sneezing is sooo hard on my abdomen. Sometimes out of the blue I'll feel like there is a heavy object sitting right on my chest & I have to take short breaths but it is nothing that is scary or anything like that. I've been on alot of Chamomille tea to reduce swelling & purchased an elastic band with velcro that wraps around my abdomen that I use for car rides, etc... as it helps to feel more stable & not like everything is moving around inside. Hang in there!

I was fine day 1 and 2 post op because I was on pain killers. By day 3 I was off the meds and hurting moderatley. I was back to work on day 4!

I think that it varies from person to person, I have not had a C section, but since you have I think that you may have a higher tolerence for pain :-)

Good luck to you!

I have had a c section and I think it was significantly harder than THE BAND. The first couple of days with the band is no picnic, but less painful than a c section. Also you will feel better much faster than you did from the c-section.

I am trying to schedule my surgery, how many days before I should be able to go back to work? any advice. Could I have surgery on fri and go back to work on monday?

Mel

I had my surgery a week ago today. I went back to work this Monday, and honestly I could have used another day or so. I actually went home sick Mon because I felt like poo. I would not recommed having the surg on Fri and going to work on Mon. It is just not enough time to heal as well as become comfortable with your new band.

Mel,

Everyone handles the surgery differently, but I think you might be pushing it if you try to go back on Monday. I am 4 days post-op and feel good but well enough to go back to work yet.

The day of the surgery is hazy. Today is day three, I can move better today. I have very little gas pain. Follow the advice here and you will be fine. Tomorrow I will go to inservice so I will not be working hard. I will sip camomile tea and take gas x as needed. I have had three C-sections, but the pain was lower and my upper body was not as restricted as I am now. However, that said I can tell every day is so much better. Relax, don't push your body. Listen to what it tells you.

Cyndi

I agree that day 1 was easy. I am on day 2 and on day 1 i barely had any pain because of the shot they gave me in the stomach. Its day 2 and I feel like i got hit with a truck in my stomach. Its hard to move around and get up and walk without pain. Bending and lifting is impossible. Thank god I have the pain meds. I wonder when the pain will go away? :notagree

I think day ONE was cake compared to days 2-3! But I've never had a c-section and based on what people post days 2-3 aren't as difficult as a c-section either......just follow the advice and "lists" of things to have from the kind people on this forum and you'll be fine! IE.....use the GAS_X strips, walk, take liquid tylenol......etc.

Hang in there! I am 6 days post-op & just this morning turned a corner & feel soooo much better. Can get out of bed without holding on to something as well so it gets better if you can just hand in there for about 4 more days....just keep taking those pain meds.....they are great!

Maybe I was lucky - I've had 1 c-section and a hysterectomy, and the pain for the lapband was more like a toothache (minor one at that!). I took one dose of painkiller the same day I came home from the hospital (because I thought I should - not because I felt I needed it) and switched to liquid tylenol the next day (1 dose of it) and nothing from then on. The largest incision (mine was about 4 ") hurt a little bit, the others not at all. I am retired so didn't have to worry about going to work, but could have gone back to a desk job in probably 3 or 4 days. I had zero pain from gas that some people talk about.

By the third night I was sleeping on my right side, and by the end of week 2 was sleeping on my left side and stomach. I am currently at 4 1/2 weeks out and have absolutely no pain, and haven't for a couple weeks.

I never had a problem getting out of bed, just rolled to my side and sat up slowly. The only problem I did have is dizziness.

I think it all depends on your tolerance to pain, and the gas effects, etc.

Hope all works out fine for you!!