Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So tonight I went to my first Support Group (need to go to 2 pre-op) and I have to say - I found it to be a waste of time. I was somewhat disappointed because i go to a great Bariatric Program but this was lame. It was run by a nutritionist - there were no clinical people there to answer questions. Some people were too new to the process and didn't seem to have the first clue about anything. Anyway - I wasn't impressed and will only go again because it's required.

Does anyone find these helpful and if so - what do they do in your group?

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been to a bunch of them through my practice and they are very dry. Basically just a nurse spending an hour going through the pre and post op diet progression for an hour EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Frustrating because I was looking for real support.

A friend of mine, who had the surgery with a different practice, brought me to her support group and it was awesome. Real people talking about their experiences, good and bad, and celebrating!

Really celebrating....

I have no interest in switching practices but I might just defect for the support group....

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Insert here my usual rant about most NUTs.

Ugh!

I hate to sound cynical but I bet there were people asking painfully obvious questions about that recipe.

My group is awesome. I still go when I can- a few times a year at over 3 years out. It is run by the bariatrics nurse and nutritionist. The doctor talks for an hour about surgery and then splits. That's when about a dozen or so post ops show up and we answer newbie questions, share our experiences and then have about a 30 min educational program like a plastic surgeon from the local hospital. I go when I can, it helps me stay focused since maintenance is for life.

If you were bored with your support group, why not offer some changes?

Like:

guest speakers

a clothing exchange

a recipe exchange

a best bariatric cooking contest

celebration for goals (no matter how large or small)

Brags and b*****s sessions

a truth or dare round

currant bariatric news discussion

topic of the month discussion

We asked bariatric products representatives to come (with samples) and discuss their products.

Just a suggestion---if you don't like it----help to change it.

I do not attend my practice lead support group because there are a few rny patients who insist their experience and rules apply to everyone and the truth is my sleeve experience is completely different. I do participate in their Facebook closed group where that is less of an issue but still somewhat of a problem.

I actually went to my first support group meeting last night....I'm post op by 6 weeks and it's not required but they have them once a month and anyone can attend, so I thought I'd give it a try.....I liked it! There were folks in every phase of the journey...some pre-op, some like me newly post-op and some long timers. The Nurse Coordinator for by bariatric program was there....but she didn't monopolize the discussion....she was there to answer questions if needed but most of the time it was great group discussions....I'll be going back next month!

Those are all great, valid ideas Valentina but I am either far too lazy or far too busy to start trying to change things right now.

I also wonder if it's different on the other side. I am still pre op and the post ops have a separate meeting. So I will ride it out till I see what goes on there.

Or I will just go to the meetings for the other practice, where many of the things you spoke of are already in place.

If you were bored with your support group, why not offer some changes?

Like:

guest speakers

a clothing exchange

a recipe exchange

a best bariatric cooking contest

celebration for goals (no matter how large or small)

Brags and b*****s sessions

a truth or dare round

currant bariatric news discussion

topic of the month discussion

We asked bariatric products representatives to come (with samples) and discuss their products.

Just a suggestion---if you don't like it----help to change it.

Seriously - I don't have time to run (or change) a Support Group. I'm all set with just going the 2 mandated sessions and being done with it. I have my own full-time job to do.

Ugh!

I hate to sound cynical but I bet there were people asking painfully obvious questions about that recipe.

Exactly! Not to mention that the smoothie sucked! LOL She forgot 2 ingredients and didn't put ice in it (and everything was room temp). She also said that we could have it at any stage pre-op or post-op but there were hemp seeds in it and when my nutritionist came by I asked if it was allowed in the first 4-6 weeks because I was told no seeds and she said no we couldn't have it for 6 weeks post-op. So - the presenter gave folks wrong information (and considering I was picking help seeds out of my teeth all night - I suspect those little suckers could easily get caught up on a staple and cause significant issues.

I was required to attend one before surgery. I went to it and was pleasantly surprised. They had the psychologist there and he talked about brain chemistry and dieting. It was a subject I was interested in. The fitness expert was there and he asked what everyone was doing for exercise and added in some tips. And a nurse talked about some general stuff and asked people questions. Then she broke people up. There were people there who already had surgery. She had all the sleevers raise their hands so you knew who they were, all the RNY raise their hands, and lap bands raise there hands. You were supposed to go talk to them. So I went over and sat with someone who had the sleeve done. There were about 6 of us pre-op patients there asking her questions. The surgeon, nurse, psychologist, and fitness expert roamed around and joined in on some conversations as well. They had papers on the table for everyone to exchange contact info if they wanted. I found it really helpful.

I decided I wanted to go to another one. They only hold them monthly. This one was very different. The nurse talked about a lot of different things, but if you have done your research, you already knew it. Then the fitness expert talked about working out in the heat. I'm an active person and have worked out in the heat in the past. I already knew about hydration and such. There was only one post surgical patient there this time. She had RNY. I plan on having VSG. Everyone asked her a few questions, but it also seemed like the audience wasn't too interactive. They were all just there because it was required. I found this meeting totally a waste of my time.

Now I'm torn whether to go back again or not. After the first visit, I thought this was a group that might be able to help keep me on track through this whole process. Then the second visit seemed like a waste of my time.

So who knows, maybe your second visit will be totally different!

Ugh!

Exactly! Not to mention that the smoothie sucked! LOL She forgot 2 ingredients and didn't put ice in it (and everything was room temp). She also said that we could have it at any stage pre-op or post-op but there were hemp seeds in it and when my nutritionist came by I asked if it was allowed in the first 4-6 weeks because I was told no seeds and she said no we couldn't have it for 6 weeks post-op. So - the presenter gave folks wrong information (and considering I was picking help seeds out of my teeth all night - I suspect those little suckers could easily get caught up on a staple and cause significant issues.

LOL! As a long-time trainer of adults (as part of my consulting practice) I find this hilarious. And painful. But still funny. Good story.