Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans ONLY please. One year + post op.

OH DEAR LORD!! That apostrophe in the title is HORRIBLE!!! FIX THAT:

Veterans ONLY please. One year + post op.

Please respond to this thread ONLY if you are a year or more post op. Thank you for your consideration.

Many of us have expressed a desire to have a "safe place" for vets to discuss our progress, our maintenance plans, or just grumble in general. This forum is supposed to be that place, but it's quite often used as an "Ask A Vet" opportunity which is awesome, but sort of defeats the purpose.

@@Alex Brecher and I have been tossing around ideas on how to better suit the needs of us oldies but goodies. :D

We can restrict the forum by post number.

We can restrict it by time registered on this site.

We can restrict it by time post op.

It's MY opinion that post number isn't working. Time post op makes most sense, but people can easily lie. I truly think we can sniff those people out, so this is MY first choice. The third option also makes sense if we say they have to be here 18 months of so. That would give them 6 months of pre-op diet time and then a year post op. Of course, Alex can make exceptions on a case by case basis.

Please chime in with your opinions!!

If you don't like the idea of a Vet's Only Forum, that's OK, too. You don't have to utilize it, but you are more than welcome to. :D

I've seen this idea bandied around. I've never quite understood it. There were times when I have had private concerns about certain people, but I've always personal messaged Alex or someone else I trusted about it. I'm sure I could be convinced, and have no problem participating if asked. (I appreciate being asked to chime in @@LipstickLady btw)

I love the idea of a vets only restricted. Time post op makes a lot of sense.

Nice work!

Some first-impression thoughts:

What about a couple of qualification criteria?

1. To me the most important qualification criterion for veteran status and forum participation should be the length of time since their surgery date. For me, 18 months seems about right. FTR, I can't imagine that anyone other than a complete loon would lie about their surgery date just to troll a veterans forum.

2. I don't think it's critical or even relevant that the person has been a member of this board for a long period of time -- measured either by time on the board or number of posts made on the board. Yes, they should have been around long enough to understand the community and to give members a sense of the veteran's ability to contribute. But those "longevity" bars should be set fairly low. I'm purely spit-wadding here, but am thinking at least 1 month and at least 50 posts.

Finally, the value of such a forum would be that veterans who know their way around WLS could seek and receive input from other veterans who also know their way around WLS.

I don't mean for this to sound "elitist," but some of the least helpful threads here are those in which a veteran who's struggling with regain or physical changes (maybe even late-stage complications) or life stresses have asked for input -- and people who aren't even 6 months post-op or, worse, haven't yet had WLS, chime in with irrelevant comments, advice, or distracting newbie questions.

Finally, for anyone reading this thread who wonders why there's a need for such a veterans-only forum, here's why: Veterans don't hang around any message board to answer the same newbie questions over and over. Newer members 6-12 months out can handle those kinds of questions.

But just like newbies, veterans need support for THEIR issues. If they don't get that support here, they leave. If that happens, no one will be available to address the questions of those who are approaching maintenance -- which, IMHO, is even more challenging than the weight loss phases.

My two cents' worth. :)

We already have a Vets forum.

I don't see the need to segregate the site further. PM if the need be.

I think we just need to be more supportive of one another--no matter how long or short our journey has been.

Please respond to this thread ONLY if you are a year or more post op. Thank you for your consideration.

Many of us have expressed a desire to have a "safe place" for vets to discuss our progress, our maintenance plans, or just grumble in general. This forum is supposed to be that place, but it's quite often used as an "Ask A Vet" opportunity which is awesome, but sort of defeats the purpose.

@@Alex Brecher and I have been tossing around ideas on how to better suit the needs of us oldies but goodies. :D

It's MY opinion that post number isn't working. Time post op makes most sense, but people can easily lie. I truly think we can sniff those people out, so this is MY first choice. The third option also makes sense if we say they have to be here 18 months of so. That would give them 6 months of pre-op diet time and then a year post op. Of course, Alex can make exceptions on a case by case basis.

If you don't like the idea of a Vet's Only Forum, that's OK, too. You don't have to utilize it, but you are more than welcome to. :D

I'm all for the 18months

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm 4 years post op.

I like this idea a lot

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've seen this idea bandied around. I've never quite understood it. There were times when I have had private concerns about certain people, but I've always personal messaged Alex or someone else I trusted about it. I'm sure I could be convinced, and have no problem participating if asked. (I appreciate being asked to chime in @@LipstickLady btw)

It's not concerns about people, it's just a place for vets to talk about maintenance, or post op goals/failings/struggles/successes without being just an answer board for newer people.

More of a lounge for those of us who have been there/done that to get support staying at goal or getting back there.

Some first-impression thoughts:

What about a couple of qualification criteria?

1. To me the most important qualification criterion for veteran status and forum participation should be the length of time since their surgery date. For me, 18 months seems about right. FTR, I can't imagine that anyone other than a complete loon would lie about their surgery date just to troll a veterans forum.

2. I don't think it's critical or even relevant that the person has been a member of this board for a long period of time -- measured either by time on the board or number of posts made on the board. Yes, they should have been around long enough to understand the community and to give members a sense of the veteran's ability to contribute. But those "longevity" bars should be set fairly low. I'm purely spit-wadding here, but am thinking at least 1 month and at least 50 posts.

Finally, the value of such a forum would be that veterans who know their way around WLS could seek and receive input from other veterans who also know their way around WLS.

I don't mean for this to sound "elitist," but some of the least helpful threads here are those in which a veteran who's struggling with regain or physical changes (maybe even late-stage complications) or life stresses have asked for input -- and people who aren't even 6 months post-op or, worse, haven't yet had WLS, chime in with irrelevant comments, advice, or distracting newbie questions.

Finally, for anyone reading this thread who wonders why there's a need for such a veterans-only forum, here's why: Veterans don't hang around any message board to answer the same newbie questions over and over. Newer members 6-12 months out can handle those kinds of questions.

But just like newbies, veterans need support for THEIR issues. If they don't get that support here, they leave. If that happens, no one will be available to address the questions of those who are approaching maintenance -- which, IMHO, is even more challenging than the weight loss phases.

My two cents' worth. :)

I totally agree with point 1. Also why this option is my first choice. :D

As for the point of your post I bolded? PREEEEACH!! You said it much better than I did, for sure.

As for your last point, Vets are leaving left and right because there is little here to benefit us. If there is a place for us to get relevant support, their experience and helpfulness is SURE to trickle out to the newer sections, too. It's a win-win.

We already have a Vets forum.

I don't see the need to segregate the site further. PM if the need be.

I think we just need to be more supportive of one another--no matter how long or short our journey has been.

Cool! Then you can totally opt out just as I don't participate in the male only/religion oriented/locality based goups/various other forums I don't really fit into. :)

As for PMing people? I do think you are confused on the concept of the forum. :) If I have a question for people who have been maintaining for 2 or 5 years, I want a variety of opinions and discussion. PMing individuals isn't going to be as effective as starting a thread.

Having a forum for VET support has nothing to to with "segregation" and everything to do with "being more supportive" of each other --INCLUDING Vets. ;)

And yes, we DO have this Vet's forum. We just need to enforce the VET part a little.

I'm all for the 18months

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

AGREE!!

I'm 4 years post op.

I like this idea a lot

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

YAY!!

@@VSGAnn2014 - OK, that makes sense.

@@LipstickLady - After reading some of the posts, yep this idea makes sense. Esp. with change of life issues that I think I will be hitting me down the road. Might want to ask @B-52. I don't see him bouncing around as much as he used to and I wonder if this is something that would get him back in the mix.

Please try not to interpret my verbiage as confusion. I have no confusion about a "vets only" forum.

The veterans of tomorrow are the newbies of today. In fact some of the members who you chose to segregate out would not qualify under the proposed guideline of being post op for 12-18months.

I think that members with less time post op want and need to know what they are heading for. Why not share those experiences that we "vets" have? I have noticed that some of the newer members have done extensive research and have a wide understanding of the entire journey, while some "Vets" haven't a clue.

Being 5yrs + out I certainly have noticed the changes in WLS in the past six years.

Vets being able to read and take advantage of new ideas, theories and procedures while newbies are locked out of the vets' forum ---to me is a lose/lose.

I know that my own path is probably (hopefully) different than most, but I hope that there are parts of it that can benefit vets as well as newbies.

If a "vets only" --restricted --is opened I will participate. Be careful for what one asks for---one might just get it.

I wish everyone a joyful journey--Newbie, Vet and everyone in between. :)