Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Fat Fab Life

I watched two episodes on Wednesday and it reminded me why I don't usually watch this show. It's great to love yourself no matter what but when I saw Whitley on the ski slope starting to lose her balance and heading towards a face plant, I felt her pain...and embarrasment afterwards. That was the kind of thing I thought would finally be the straw that broke the camel's back and she would finally do something serious about her excess weight. Even fainting and going to the ER might not do it...but being so frightenend because she couldn't control herself falling was the kind of thing that would make me know that I had come to the end of my rope. But no...even though she cried when talking about the incident, she still managed to rationalize not doing anything to seriously change up her situation.

I can only imagine how folks without weight issues would watch this and presume that all overweight people are living in the land of denial like Whitney is. I wish this show would go away or that she would admit that she needs to take herself in hand and not just say hollow words that you know she doesn't mean or believe in.

Ok..small rant over. Got it off my chest and now I feel better. :)

The last time I went skiing was 1988, I think I was about 200lbs. Like Whitney, I skiied a lot when I was thinner. I fell down after the first 30 minutes and couldn't get back up...even with the help of my ski buddies. Ski patrol helped me onto one of those sleds and they took me down the hill in front of everyone. Watching Whitney struggle brought up a flood of embarrassment and sadness.....had to turn the show off!

It's sad. I don't know if she chooses to do nothing because she makes more money with this stupid show or what the deal is. I feel for her, but wish she would do something before she has irreversible health consequences.

I actually like the show and all of the "characters" on the show. I do find it sad that Whitney is in such denial but I truly feel that one day she will make the decision to lose weight. She knows she is obese but she is rationalizing everything much as all of us have done in the past. We've all been there, we've all made the same excuses.... everyone has their epiphany eventually. I just hope Whitney wakes up soon and realizes what she is doing to herself. She gets a lot of exercise dancing so her eating and drinking has got to be the problem. If you will notice they never film her eating meals. Life style choices are everything and watching Whitney serves as a reminder to me that you are what you eat. I think eventually the show will transition to her getting healthy but that's just my guess.

Got to say, as long as she's making big money for the show and getting lots of attention, ain't nothing going to change unless it's a medical crisis I think. And (while I"m on the "rants" thread!) having big viewership encourages the makers of the show to keep it going as she is.

FYI...I just read that she wrote a book all about accepting yourself at any size and not being fat shamed. When you cry on camera because an incident upset you so much, you have NOT accepted yourself at any size. You just think you have.

When she said she is happy fat...I kept saying out loud, "no,no,noooo!!" Plus, her and the gang in the hot tub! Another no!

OK so I have issues with the show...and how I feel about it. Maybe I am in denial too...but I kind of feel like she does. I am and I was happy fat! I am still fat and I am happy. I like having my cake and eating it too!! Come on who doesn't?

I cringe when I see her tiny little feet holding up her body while she dances all around. I feel her pain as she's sweating about to crash to the floor. I remember days of walking to my car feeling as though I might have a heart attack or at the very least pass out before I got there and it wasn't all that far away!

Yes to all of that...but I truly was a happy fat person. I wasn't trying to hide under a bushel or a tent..I went out and di things and didn't spend time thinking I had to say "I'm sorry" for being fat. I wore a bathing suit at the beach, and I jumped into the pool, I got on the plane and asked for an extender I lived my life. Fat, skinny, it's all just ME being me.

Yeah I want to be "healthy" and you know what...I've lost weight, and sure there is more to lose but I am not as healthy. One issue took the place of another, and then as I get older darn it if more don't keep trying to creep up on me!! I am not going to be 20 years old again...I'm tired, my body aches, some days are great and others suck. I want to eat...I miss "eating". Yeah OK we eat, sure we do...but you can't tell me none of you miss going out and just eating what you want when you want as much as you want.

I hate the saying nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Like the girl on that show. I have done it all. I have been super skinny and I have been morbidly obese, it hasn't changed "me" or how I feel about myself.

I do think you can have no body shame. I totally agree on that point and I understand where she is coming from I don't think my weight is the only reason for my ailments in fact I know it's not. It's a contributing factor sure but fat alone isn't the reason for anyone's issues.

I did see the last episode last week, and it looks like she's going back to her trainer and looking to make some healthy choices in her life, and because I get a kick out of those characters I am curious to see how far she takes it that I"m gonna keep watching it now!!! Thanks guys! :)

Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH For starting this topic! I was about to do the same but was thrilled to find this and I'm glad I'm not alone.

Whitney is in SUCH denial, OMG... but I think that's what she's using to get attention. I saw the episode where she rode a bike in a 2 mile beginner ride, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to show she's determined to overcome obstacles in front of her but at some point she's gotta realize she's doing a better job at making a fool of herself.

I don't know whether to boycott the show or keep watching it, because I'm just waiting to see the episode where the light bulb goes off and she finally says "I realize I have to do something etc..." and she goes in for bariatric surgery. She could use her "body confidence" and positivity to really inspire some people and impart some good change on those considering having surgery... Surgery isn't a magic pill, and her making a recovery and setting an example could help so many other folks battling with their weight.

When she said she is happy fat...I kept saying out loud, "no,no,noooo!!" Plus, her and the gang in the hot tub! Another no!

"happy fat" = denial... @@bellabill I agree with you - I was shouting at my TV too LOL

I watched that episode and I'm thinking this is how the show gets people hooked so they watch. Everyone is waiting for her to have that aha moment and I think she's had it but knows that people won't watch her getting thinner/healthier. They would rather watch her continue the denial she's in and just stay fat. I don't think she has much of a choice if she wants to stay on TV. Watch the way her folks approach her weight issues. Especially dad. He keeps talking to the 'audience' about how she doesn't change anything up and she needs to, but it never goes anywhere.

They show her eating tuna and noodles which any of us knows is not a good choice. I'm pretty certain Whitney knows it's not a good choice either. I really am thinking this whole program is about fat shaming and while Whitney may think she's empowered, she's not. Whoever is paying her to stay fat....and they are....have the power. She surely does not.

Personally I don't judge. I do believe everyone has a process, and we all need to decide what is the best way to deal with life's challenges. Yes, at her weight her health and quality of life are compromised.

At the same time I have been fat shamed so much in my life, especially in childhood and early adulthood, and I have literally never felt truly attractive because of it, despite evidence to the contrary, and being a normal or healthy BMI during most of my teens and at times during my 20s. I was always curvy with a bigger frame, and that used to be considered fat. I wish someone like her was around during my formative years. I can fix obesity. Fixing the deep seated issues I have with my body are a lot harder.

I really respect her message. Surgery isn't the answer for everyone, and changing your body and your behavior is difficult. She has the courage to let people film her life, and her struggles with self image and obesity. Yeah, she isn't perfect, but neither am I.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App