Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone

I am pre - op and have quite a few fears and concerns. I was wondering what fears others had and thought it might be good to share a little.

My biggest fear is not losing weight. I know it is unrealistic given the nature of bypass surgery, but I think that I have tried and failed at so many diets I can't quite believe this one will make the difference.

Naturally I am a little concerned about the actual surgery, but I spent 20 years as a theater nurse so I know how the surgery goes and that the risks are less than flying, so I am less worried about that `than afterwards. I know my blood pressure drops dramatically when I have an anaesthetic and that can be a worry if they can't keep it high enough to feed my brain with oxygen. I also have terrible post anaesthetic nausea and vomiting which I am not looking forward to ... although I do know there are ways of giving anaesthetics which minimise that.

I am not particularly worried about post-op pain. It is something that will pass and hospitals have plenty of ways of helping with pain. I am not worried about needles .. I have been on insulin for about 30 years now so I am used to them.

I am a bit worried about blood sugar control in the first weeks post op though. There is a chance I may not get off insulin completely because I have been on it so long and blood sugar problems are one of the main causes of me giving up on diets in the past. When my sugar is high I am starving hungry and nothing fills the space and when my sugars are too low I have to eat whether I want to or not.

I am pre-op as well. My surgery is on July 7.

I have a fear of anesthesia...I have had surgery before so I know what to expect. I just don't like the idea of being put under!

I have thought about not losing very much or at all too. But this is the best shot I have and I will do whatever it takes. I am ready for this tool!

I wish you luck on your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wish you good ,uck with your surgery too Elvenprincess. I will be watching to see how you go afterwards.

My procedure is on the 26th of July. I'm just ready to see the weight come off. My biggest fear is the loose skin. I don't know what to think at this point. I have lumbar stenosis and it is really painful. I pray the surgery will help. The less weight I carry the less pain. Good luck to you all and know that you are blessed

@@Nymea I understand about the diabetes, I've had it for 12+ years and my main fear is that I'll still have to do insulin after my surgery when I'm thinner. The main reason I chose the RNY surgery is because of the 85% chance I won't have diabetes anymore. I also have sleep apnea which I hope will go away too since I didn't have it when I was thinner. You won't have to worry about vomiting, you'll be spitting up bubbles like a baby now, that's the way you will vomit, nothing like before :)

My only fear is dying. My husband has good insurance, so the loose skin doesn't bother me, I can most likely get removal covered, at least partially, by his insurance company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

My fear is dying. I have 3 daughters. Youngest is 2, middle 10 and oldest 13. I know the risks are 0.23% at my center of excellence but I am a worrier. Other than a BMI of 40 I am healthy, no sugar, hypertension, cholesterol or sleep apnea issues, just a little knee pain. I'm self pay and scheduled for Aug 11. I need someone who's having bypass surgery around the same time to buddy up with. I'm having it w Dr Sosa at memorial west in Pembroke Pines. Anyone out there?

@@soon2bthinmiami Hi It's normal to be worried about dying with any surgery. I was worried too. I had my RnY last wednesday, and I am doing great. I had diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, hypertension and arthritis, all but the sleep apnea seem to be gone or greatly diminished. This is the right thing to do for your girls, you will be with them a long time, a good long life, a healthy slimmer new you! It is scary but well worth it. I will pray for you, please don't worry :)

Hello,

I am having surgery on Aug 12th and I am so scared, I hope I am making the right decision.

I have high blood pressure and thats about it, I have never been tested for sleep apnea and my Physician feels I dont need to so I am a little worried about surgery. What if I have it and they preform surgery on me?

@@effbeingfat You will be fine, I have sleep apnea and I had my surgery last week, no issues

I am scheduled for my gastric bypass on August 11th at Northwest Medical Center. I understand your fears about dying. It's always a scary thing to be put under but I am sure you will do fine! And just think how much better you will feel as the weight comes off. You will be able to have so much fun with your girls. I am 66 doing this because I want to spend the rest of my life in a healthier state, able to enjoy it. I'll be praying for you!

My fear is dying. I have 3 daughters. Youngest is 2, middle 10 and oldest 13. I know the risks are 0.23% at my center of excellence but I am a worrier. Other than a BMI of 40 I am healthy, no sugar, hypertension, cholesterol or sleep apnea issues, just a little knee pain. I'm self pay and scheduled for Aug 11. I need someone who's having bypass surgery around the same time to buddy up with. I'm having it w Dr Sosa at memorial west in Pembroke Pines. Anyone out there?

From what I've read the CPAP machine is used immediately after surgery to make air blood oxygen levels remain high. @@effbeingfat

Karen did you wear your machine while having surgery?

I have sleep apnea but had several surgeries before ever being diagnosed. If your surgeon doesn't even think you need a sleep study - you can relax and know you'll be OK. He would not take any chances! You are intubated and your breathing is closely monitored at all times during surgery and in recovery. Try not to worry!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I am scheduled for my gastric bypass on August 11th at Northwest Medical Center. I understand your fears about dying. It's always a scary thing to be put under but I am sure you will do fine! And just think how much better you will feel as the weight comes off. You will be able to have so much fun with your girls. I am 66 doing this because I want to spend the rest of my life in a healthier state, able to enjoy it. I'll be praying for you!

Our date is coming up! How are you doing?