Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating more than recommended!

I was banded on 8/8/07 and did not suffer much. I am on my second week, and dr. said I could proceed with the next phase, eating creamy Soups. I have not had problems swallowing and find it difficult to only eat 1/2 cup. I have eaten the whole can of Soup - chunky soup. I process it fine, no problems there, but I am scared of what it might do to my pouch. Will eating a whole can of soup at two weeks post op expand my pouch? Is the expanding reversible by, let's say, eating only liquids again for a week? What can I do since 1/2 cup does not cut it for me?

Hi vcr,

I was banded on 7/18 and I flew through the food stages. My doctor told me that I could progress to the next level every 5 days. I'm in my 5th week now and honestly, I've been eating "normal" food since the 3rd week. I'm careful to chew things well and I'm following the no drinking 30 mins before and 1 hour after eating. I'm down 20lbs and go for my first fill on 8/31. I'm so ready for my fill though, because I'm noticing that my hunger level and amount that I can eat is increasing. I'm consuming anywhere from 900-1400 calories a day. I'm completely in love with the USDA's food pyramid website. It has a tool that lets you track calories, Protein, fat, etc. It has a lot of food listed to choose from.

You know the hard thing for me has been the lag time between eating and getting rid of that hungry feeling. I know that when I fill my pouch I need to stop, but my tummy still feels empty. I'm slowly learning to read the signals my body sends. I feel like I'm dealing with a toddler that's trying to tell me something but I can't understand it. I've never been able to just push away from the table until my plate was clean or I was painfully full. This is a serious learning experience.

So far I'm really happy with the band. I like this new found freedom from food and overeating.

Hi There, first congrats on your 20 pounds, thats awesome!!! I am still waiting for my consult next month so I am still learning about everything. What are the Protein Drinks like?? Are they flavored?? I am just curious, I am so afraid of the liquid diet. I know, like you, I will feel good about freedom from overeating but the liquid diet scares the heck out of me. I am so afraid of being starving all the time. Are you hungry a lot??? Are you on any soldi food yet or still all liquids?? Sorry for all the questions!! Iam trying to take in as much info as possible! Thanks and congrats to you again!!

Hi!

Ok, let's see I'll try to do my best to answer everything.

Protein drinks-I drank high protein Ensure. I really liked the chocolate flavored one. After days of having just broth and Jello, the Ensure was the best thing I ever had :-)

I bought 2 giant containers of Protein Powder, but I could never get it to mix into drinks without being able to taste it, so I finally gave up on that.

The liquid diet scared me too, but it's not so bad. During that first week, I wasn't hungry. The first day my stomach growled was a week after surgery, when I went for my post-op check-up. Even then, it wasn't uncomfortable.

I could fill up really easily on small containers of applesauce, or a small container of yogurt. I was never ravenous.

I am eating solid food now. I haven't had many problems from that, aside from learning to slow down and chew well. I was eating with friends one day and started eating like I used to, taking larger bites and not chewing as well as I should, but I was soon reminded not to do that. I ate too much too fast and it came right back up. Lesson learned.

From reading these posts, I see that I'm in 'bandster hell' right now. I feel like I should be eating less, but sometimes I'm just hungry. By making high protein choices (high protein slim fast bars, a small piece of cheese, and tuna are some of my favorites), I can stop the hunger.

I am no where near as hungry as I thought I would be, and it's a lot more manageable than it was before surgery. I have a lot more energy, I don't get the mid-afternoon slumps, and I just feel so much better.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just ask. I don't mind answering them at all. The unknown is scary...I'm relying on the pro's on here to help me through the different stages. It's nice to find a whole community of people that are going through the very same thing I am.

I was banded on the 30th July and currently in the mushie stage and like you, I am eating more than the cup of food recommended... probaby about 1.5 cups over a 1/2 hr period but also I am hungry a couple of hours later and need another nibble. I have added extra fibre to everything to help with the hunger but its not working. My dietician progressed me to the mushie stage early and I feel I may have to do to the next stage earlier than the 5 weeks recommended. If by the end of the week this still progresses I will be contacting my dietician to see what I can do.

I have my first fill of the band in a couple of weeks and hopefully that will help. I have twice been uncomfortable with the amount I ate but everything else is OK. I am trying very hard to maintain the six small meals but I am falling back into the grazing habit again. I was even told that in the Mushie stage 95% of patients can't tolerate scrambled eggs.....hello I can do that too. I have had one accident with lumpy food when cooking for my family . I nibbled as I went without even thinking. That raw mushroom just slid down itself. I was in pain for 1/2 hour but ok after that. I have never felt nauseous or have vomited. I am avoiding Soups and anything liquid to the point my mushies are nearly solid. It is hard to explain to people eat work that I must eat in the 3-4hr mark or I am ravenous with very loud magaphone tummy rumbles.

All I can say is you are not alone..if this continues by the end of the week I will be contacting my dietician for help. Maybe you should do that too?

Regards Jo

I feel just how you described. I can eat scrambled eggs, and just about anything. I am hungry and tolerating this band really well. I just wanted some security in knowing I was not stretching my pouch by eating more than what is recommended, but I guess we all can eat and tolerate food differently. I am just one of those who can progress through faster. My husband was banded a week ago and he still has trouble swallowing Water and broth - gets nauseus often. He has lost 24 lbs. since the liquid diet before the surgery and it's not a healthy loss. I, on the other hand, can eat more than allowed. I guess everyone's stomach is different. Thanks for your answer.