Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Recovery Time - Questions

Hello. I'm fairly new to the forum. I introduced myself on the pre-op board the other day. I have some post op questions though.

I had my first surgeon's appointment in January, and have had 2 psych appointments, monthly dietician, fitness expert consults, EGD, bloodwork, have the letter from my primary, etc. My surgeon just submitted to insurance for approval last week. My BMI is 40 and I also have had breast cancer and a few other little things like joint pain, back pain, gerd. So hopefully the approval goes smoothly. If it does, I think I could have surgery in July. I made the decision to pursue this back in November, so this seems like it has taken forever. July, however, has things happening almost every weekend.

I'd love to have the surgery sooner rather than later, but I'm wondering if it will really be possible. Can you tell me what some of your recovery experiences were like. Speaking from past surgeries, I recover really quickly. I've had a lumpectomy, port insertion and removal surgeries, gall bladder removal laparoscopically, tubes tied laparoscopically, and a surgery on my uterus. In all these cases, I was right back up and doing things like normal right away. So I do think I'll bounce back fairly quickly. But I know this is taking out part of your stomach and you will adjusting to that, etc. I also have a fairly high pain tolerance and have never had to take prescription drugs after surgery.

Can you tell me about some of your recovery experiences? If you had surgery earlier in the week, would you have been able to go to a gathering that following weekend? Would I be in a lot of pain? Weak? Would people know something was up? Do I really need to wait until August? :-)

Thanks.

~Holly

Hi, everything you have just written is exactly my story- except replace lumpectomy with mastectomy. I also started in January , my surgery date is July 8th.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@sankofasienna1104 - That's neat that we have such a similar story and are at a similar place in this process! We'll have to keep in touch. Your surgery date is approaching fast. Are you excited?

I had a very easy recovery. I, too, have a fairly high pain tolerance. I took the pain meds for a couple days, and then one more night. After that, I occasionally took liquid Tylenol.

The biggest adjustment is getting into a groove of getting your liquid Protein in and sipping all day. But as far as pain goes, I had no issues. My surgeon prescribed anti nausea meds, just in case I needed them. However, I never even got them filled.

I hope you have as easy a recover as I did. Good luck!

I, too, experienced an easy recovery. One night in the hospital where I did I have some pain meds. Once I was home, I took 3 doses of liquid Tylenol over the course of 3 days (and avoided the pain meds from the doctor.) By day 3 after surgery, I was walking at least a mile and active at home. I went shopping, to church, and visiting family. I had some discomfort but nothing that I couldn't handle or that would make it obvious to others that I just had surgery. I'm very thankful for the smooth recovery process.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by thisgirlhunts

I think it's important to consider not only the recovery from the actual surgery but depending on your plan - you may be on liquids for a few weeks post-op. You could be tired and weak. Just understand that you may not feel up to doing anything and might miss a function - so if they are a MUST GO - I'd wait until Aug for surgery.