Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months of success, and creeping aggravations.

I'm down 78lbs since jan 28th (surgery day), and 122 since june of last year. That seems pretty good to me. However I'm nowhere near where I want to wind up. Miles to go, blisters to form, sweat to drip, and pounds to lose before I can relax. I neither dread it or look forward to it at this point. It's a thing I'm doing and will keep doing.

I'm not sure why, but compliments, at least from the people I talk to often, just aggravate the dickens out of me. Does anyone else feel like they are getting, or did get premature kudos?

As usual, my nemesis is my mom. I know she's doing it from a position of love and happiness. I can't seem to get over the feeling that I'm being congratulated on a job well done before I've even started. Maybe it's just a constant reminder of how far I still have to go.

Any advice O ye wise internet people?

I can appreciate your point. I look back at pictures of when people really started to notice my weight loss and I cringe a little because I was still pretty fat. For the most part though, people are trying to be supportive and even though sometimes the compliments annoyed me, I tried to remember that ultimately it is someone trying to be kind and having no idea that their comment is a little unappreciated.

Sure it reminds you that you still have a long way to go, so use that as motivation. When you're at goal and you've been there awhile, no one seems to really remember that you were fat and the only motivation you have is your own mirror and memories. Take advantage of the feeling you have now and use it to push yourself toward goal. Sometimes it isn't sunshine and daises that gets us to our goals, but a whole lot of misery and rain. Pretty sure there's something about rainbows, pots of gold, and leprechaun's that could be worked into that analogy, but in the end, you get to be normal and for me that was worth the journey.

I think you are right on track time wise. You have lost a petite person, another whole human being!!! Yes you deserve kudos, do you still have work to do, sure. It really has been nice for me to have people in my cheering section, family, friends, and just acquaintances. Another thing to keep in mind, you are in the "honeymoon phase". Your surgery is doing A LOT of the weight loss work for you at this point. I'm at eleven months post op, and I am having to put forth a lot more exercise energy than before to keep the weight loss moving(@@RoscoColetrain the sweat and blisters part of your post). So I suggest that you enjoy and encourage the praise now, 'cause you're gonna' need it later. Keep up the good work and keep us posted as to your progress.

I'm down 78lbs since jan 28th (surgery day), and 122 since june of last year. That seems pretty good to me. However I'm nowhere near where I want to wind up. Miles to go, blisters to form, sweat to drip, and pounds to lose before I can relax. I neither dread it or look forward to it at this point. It's a thing I'm doing and will keep doing.

I'm not sure why, but compliments, at least from the people I talk to often, just aggravate the dickens out of me. Does anyone else feel like they are getting, or did get premature kudos?

As usual, my nemesis is my mom. I know she's doing it from a position of love and happiness. I can't seem to get over the feeling that I'm being congratulated on a job well done before I've even started. Maybe it's just a constant reminder of how far I still have to go.

Any advice O ye wise internet people?

You have lost the equivalent of a 5'2" woman with a high end normal BMI! Hell - you deserve compliments - accept them with Pride!!! You may feel like you have a ways to go but there's no denying what you've done so far is incredible! Congrats!!! You will get to the Finish Line soon!

@@RoscoColetrain

It is easy to get let how far you have to go still cloud the success of how far you have came. All I keep thinking about are these last 50-60 pounds I want to lose so I can have plastics and I don't think that I have lost a whole entire adult person in less than a year without feeling miserable.

Just take their compliments in stride and don't internalize them.

Most fat people are never successful at losing weight, so when people do lose weight it is amazing to people around them.

@@RoscoColetrain .... Love the name, by the way

I noticed all the supportive posts on this thread- the nerve ! Just kidding. Like the rest, congratulations on your weight loss! It is amazing ! I am wondering if you have any milestones you want to reach before the final scale measurement is reached?

Maybe if you had a few mini goals you would feel more accomplished or it might be easier to accept the external praise

I know I also just want to be left alone and not acknowledge what I am going through, but unfortunately people ( family, coworkers, neighbors , soccer moms, etc) just have to say what is on their minds ....

Wishing you Continued success !

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Lol i appreciate the comments. I don't mind it being noticed and commented on occasionally.

It's when it's the start middle and end of every conversation that I start to scrunch up my forehead.

I'm going at this with the goal of being healthy. I'm just not proud of the weight loss as much. It's just something that has to happen. I'm much more impressed with being able to do 7 miles a day and still function afterwards. And of having actual defined calf muscles again. The thighs are getting there :D