Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm I really hungry?

9days post op and I feel hungry sometimes. I heard that it's not hunger that I'm feeling, so I ignore it. I'm not really eating much...mostly yogurt. Had salmon yesterday. But I can't tell when I'm full so I just eat very little.

What happens if I actually do get full? Does that mean I've stretched my stomach?

I was so tired of only drinking Water so I got a small mango/pineapple smoothie from McDonalds today I had less than 1/4. Is that super bad???

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Stock up on Bariatric friendly foods and drinks. You don't need to just drink plain Water - have decaffeinated tea (hot or iced), crystal light, flavored water, etc. Measure your foods so you don't eat too much. If you do a few times - you won't permanently stretch your stomach but you need to be careful not to continue to work against your sleeve. The smoothie wasn't the best choice because of the sugar - but you can make your own healthy, Protein smoothies that will taste just as good. Concentrate on getting your protein and liquids (non caloric drinks). If you feel hungry it could be stomach acid - try taking a PPI or might be head hunger.

To me that isn't bad. I've tried several different things do far. Basically putting myself on trial and error to see what I can and can't handle. So far so good. Last night we got av stuffed pizza from papa Murphys.... it had 3 meats, mushrooms, and cheese in the middle. I didn't touch the breading or crust just the meats and cheese. I maybe ate too fast. I got super bloated feeling and my belly gurgle, a lot! Other than that, no problems.

Head hunger, I've discovered.... is very very real. I want something in my head. Just because it seems like the thing to do. It doesn't mean I'm hungry, just my kids may be eating lunch, so then it's on my brain of what I'm going to eat. Maybe this is what is happening to you also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

9days post op and I feel hungry sometimes. I heard that it's not hunger that I'm feeling, so I ignore it. I'm not really eating much...mostly yogurt. Had salmon yesterday. But I can't tell when I'm full so I just eat very little.

You don't want to eat until you are "full." Your stomach is still healing and can't give you reliable signals about satiety at this point. You want to measure out small portions and eat them -- or less than the small portion if you start to feel uncomfortable while eating.

What happens if I actually do get full? Does that mean I've stretched my stomach?

Lots of people will feel extremely sick, nauseated, dizzy, or even throw up if they are "full." The old full feeling that you are used to is gone and don't expect it to come back. Instead, stick with your measured small portions. You will start to feel pressure or tightness if you eat too much. You may also find that you get a runny nose, or hiccups, or something weird like that if you eat too much. This is because the food you crammed into your tiny stomach is irritating the vagus nerve, which runs across the top of your stomach. It controls things like sneezing and hiccups. So remember, if you get symptoms like that, you ate too much and need to eat less next time.

Over eating one time will not stretch your sleeve. Making a habit of it likely will, although it will not stretch out to the size of your former stomach.

I was so tired of only drinking Water so I got a small mango/pineapple smoothie from McDonalds todayemoji87.png I had less than 1/4. Is that super bad???

Will calories from 1/4 of a smoothie derail your weight loss? No. But making a practice of choosing to eat junk food loaded with carbs and sugar (almost 50 grams of each in a serving, I looked it up!) will definitely derail your weight loss. You didn't get this surgery to make lazy choices of horrible food. Get some Premier Protein shakes or similar to keep on hand. Diet fruit juice is good. So is G2 or Powerade Zero. Vitamin Water Zero is another choice. Your only options aren't water and sugary fast food smoothies.< /p>

I know this sounds harsh but I really am saying all of this because I want you to succeed! I know it is hard early on but this is the time to learn to make good choices with respect to food and your eating habits. Good luck!

Not surprisingly, removing 80% or more of your stomach does a lot of damage to your nerves. You may not get proper "full" or "hunger" signals from your sleeve in the beginning. That is why it is very important to measure your food (no more than 2 oz. at a time this early out) and eat on a schedule.

As others have said, there are a lot of low or no calorie alternatives if you are having trouble with plain Water. It's definitely important to get your fluids in!

As for true hunger, it's unlikely at this point. If by "hunger" you mean your stomach is rumbling or growling, that is likely acid or gas. Are you on a PPI? If the "hunger" is triggered by seeing commercials on TV or smelling food your family members are eating or cravings for your comfort foods, that's head hunger.

Not surprisingly, removing 80% or more of your stomach does a lot of damage to your nerves. You may not get proper "full" or "hunger" signals from your sleeve in the beginning. That is why it is very important to measure your food (no more than 2 oz. at a time this early out) and eat on a schedule.

As others have said, there are a lot of low or no calorie alternatives if you are having trouble with plain Water. It's definitely important to get your fluids in!

As for true hunger, it's unlikely at this point. If by "hunger" you mean your stomach is rumbling or growling, that is likely acid or gas. Are you on a PPI? If the "hunger" is triggered by seeing commercials on TV or smelling food your family members are eating or cravings for your comfort foods, that's head hunger.

No PPI...its head hunger for sure, which I'm doing pretty good at ignoring today. I made my own smoothie that served as Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I used frozen fruit, light and fit peach Greek yogurt, a splash of light pineapple/mango juice, and 25g of whey Protein powder. I know this isn't 100% perfect, however, it has made it easy for me to get some Protein in. Next time I'll use 2 scoops of Protein Powder

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Try Atkins lift Protein Drinks. They have 20g Protein. Lemon is my favorite.

Edited by Soup11