Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with pre-op diet, please!

Brag- I'm four days into my 2 week pre-op Medifast diet and I haven't cheated. It's been even harder than I thought it would be-- mostly head games and hungry tongue.

Gripe- The Medifast is so unbearable that it actually makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sick of sweets, sweets, sweets-- shakes, pudding, oatmeal, bars-- YUCK!

Questions- What did you do for your pre-op diet? How much did you lose? Any suggestions of other low cal diet things I could eat?

Thank you for your support and help!

I'm on day 13 of Clear Liquids. Talk about unbearable!! I have lost 10 pounds, though. I am not sure what you can eat. I would recommend calling you doc for suggestions. You can't go wrong with that!!

I know what you mean about the 2 week pre op!! It about killed me. I cheated a couple...ok, a few times, but I did it in the end, my surgery went well. But...if I thought the pre op diet was hard...the post op liquid phase isn't any more of a consellation. This is about the hardest thing that I have had to do in my life. Honestly, I still am not sure what I've done and even what I'm doing. I can only go right now from minuite to minuite and hope that it gets easier....soon! I think some councelling would be very helpful.

All the best to everyone out there. We're all in the same boat at some point of another...keep the posts coming. Hearing everyone stories is what is keeping me going!!

mslisa

I feel your pain, it is super hard but well worth it in the end. I had no complication from surgery, and my dr. was very happy I lost 11 lbs.

I had salt cravings also, and ate some plain salt- I know it sounds gross, weird and unhealthy, but I would just put a little bit on my palm and use my opposite index finger to 'eat' it. It really cut down the cravings.

I had salt cravings also, and ate some plain salt- I know it sounds gross, weird and unhealthy, but I would just put a little bit on my palm and use my opposite index finger to 'eat' it. It really cut down the cravings.

I ate salt last night. I couldnt stand it any longer, I needed it. My Dr just had me on 2 days of liquids. I am 4 days post op now, and yes this is one of the hardest things I have been through too. The TV shows.... everyones eating and all the commercials are food. I just need to remember that soon I will be able to eat people food...just not as much.

Pre-op diets vary drastically! In my case, I was just put on a high Protein, low fat diet for 10 days or so prior. I was so excited to get going, I had been doing an Atkins type thing, so just continued it. They put you on the diet usually in an effort to shrink the liver some, and make it more pliable, as it has to be moved out of the way to get the band wrapped around your stomach.

While the post op diet may not be more fun, it is likely even more important! You do not want to cheat on it! When they band you, they pull the larger, lower part of the stomach up, and stitch it in place over the band. Scar tissue starts forming to hold the band in the proper place. If you eat too early, then your stomach has to move to digest, and move the food through---and that interupts the healing process. Those stitches are in a moist environment, so they take longer to heal than the outside ones.

With either pre-op or post op, Protein will help some with the hunger, and eliminating sugar and carbs from the diet during pre op will make post op much easier as you will no longer be physically craving them. The head hunger is what is hardest, and that takes sheer willpower---but if I can do it, anyone can!!!

Hang in there!!!

Kat

I am on day 6 of my 10 day liquid pre-op diet. Can't stand the slim fast or Protein Shakes at this point. It is everything I can to choke them down, if at all. My surgeon finally said I could have some Soups. Tomato or liquid type. I still am sick to my stomach, at the point I don't want to try anything and it is all going right through me! Is it supposed to cleanse you out as well? I am constantly in the bathroom. Anyone else with this problem?

angeleyes, I am sure that is an added advantage to some pre-op diets, the cleaning out. During this and post op you will often hear the phrase "liquids in=liquids out", the diarhea is very common and very normal for the types of "food" you are consuming.

Following surgery, many become constipated, and with nothing in your intestines and bowel to have to strain with is beneficial. Straining can put undue pressure on your inner stitches. Just be sure to stay withing a reasonable distance to the bathroom...and hang on, this will be over soon.

You are not alone, most of us went through it!

Kat

I was on Optifast for three weeks. I am now 5 days post op. I got very creative with the veggies...I was climbing the walls...your looking at a girl who could down two supersized big mac combo, two apple pies and a large diet coke (what the hell was I thinking!lol) so I know how you feel but trust me...It is alllllll worth it.

I get sick of the sweet flavors of Protein shakes REALLY quickly. I bought nearly tasteless 100$ ANY whey Protein powder and add it to Soups, broths, grits (Hey, I'm from La. and grits are served with salt and butter!!), etc.

I've been on it for 2 weeks and 2 days and I've lost 14 lbs.