Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably a silly question...

Anyone fight the urge to eat whatever they want when they finally decided to have wls? I have been eating super healthy (mostly paleo) and exercising without losing. Having made the decision to move fwd with surgery, my mind is now going "woo hoooo!" Did you whoop it up as a last food hurrah and what did you do o snap out of it?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I didn't because I have to go through a 6 month weight loss program in order for insurance approval. I also figured surgery isn't going to miraculously make me change my habits so I'm getting a head start on that.

Not gonna lie. I definitely did!! I had to lose a few pounds before approval and I killed myself to do it but as soon as I got my surgery date, and I knew I was gonna be on all liquids for two days before surgery, I went a little nuts the week before surgery. I gained like 6 pounds before surgery and thank goodness it did not interfere with my surgery date.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Y'all are describing "food funerals" which is a very common thing before WLS.

It's a weird thing to do because you could eat anything again eventually (whether you actually want to eat that crap later on is a different tangent).

But the big problem is if you're on a liver reducing diet before surgery and don't stick to it, you could make it impossible to have the surgery if you don't reduce the liver enough for them to get in there and move it without injury (which you do NOT want to do - liver injury can be life-threatening).

Yes, a "food funeral" is exactly how I'm thinking of it. Like my stomach wants a bachelor party with ice cream and cake strippers!

I had lost more weight than required pre op, so one beautifully sunny day in May, my S.O. and I went to the Jersey shore where I was given a very grand, and delightfully fun filled food funeral.

Those memories will be with me for a life time.

Do I regret it? Not for one second!

Believe me, eating is NOT the same after WLS.

Is it healthier? Sure.

Can I eat Pasta without dumping? Nope.

Can I eat rice without dumping? Nope

Can I eat anything overly sweet without dumping? Nope

Can I eat anything spicy without dumping? Nope

Have I ever liked chicken? Nope :)

Am I allergic to Beans--especially soy?--which limits my choices? Yep

Eating just isn't "fun" anymore.

Am I healthier? Sure

Am I thinner? Sure

Can I fit into smaller clothes? Sure

Do my joints appreciate bearing less weight? Sure

Do I miss "the fun" of eating? Every day

Do I regret having WLS? Not anymore.

I am much healthier than I was before WLS. Now all I have to do is find a way to be happier.

That, too will come.

Yes, a "food funeral" is exactly how I'm thinking of it. Like my stomach wants a bachelor party with ice cream and cake strippers!

You had me at strippers.

You can have all of that later on with the sleeve.

No need to say goodbye.

Well.....I've never really been a fan of strippers, but that's just how I roll. If ya like 'em.....then go for it.

Cake and ice cream were things I enjoyed in my old life. Now.....I can eat them in moderation if I so chose to. I do not, however, want them nor do I crave them anymore. I am thankful that my relationship with food is different now. Food is fuel. I chose better grades of fuel than the junk food type. I now crave salmon and grilled chicken and such. I'm so grateful for this development.

Your sleeve will likely tolerate way more options that you own future desires will.

This is good stuff.

Valentina your honesty is refreshing. Thank you!!!! I loved they you had your food funeral at the Jersey Shore. I was born in cherry Hill and went to ocean city several times with my grandparents for the summer. Bobs french fries, Boardwalk pizza, custard, a lemon ice, the peanut man and saltwater taffy. Ahhhhhhhhhhn what a great walk down memory lane!!! My parents moved us to the Keys when I was 7 so my boardwalk binges were done. How I miss that awesome food, combined with the salt spray and people watching!!! (Just for clarification in case my grandmother, rest her soul is looking over my shoulder as I type we only went to Ocean City. Wildwood was too "rough".). Teeheeee!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App