Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control and regain

Hi all,

I had my sleeve surgery back in March, 2013. I got to goal within a year (lost almost 100 pounds) and maintained my goal weight within =/- 3 pounds for nearly a year and half (163 pounds, I'm 5'8"). During all of that time, I had worked with a personal trainer, got divorced, started dating and met a great new guy... we've been together about a year and half now.

I'm 47 and wanted to start regulating my periods, so I went on Loestrin (low dose BC pill). Well, I've gained 25 pounds over the course of a year and my appetite has been out of control. Granted, I've gone back to some bad habits, but I do a 30-minute boot camp class 4-5 times per week. I figured some regain was bound to happen, but this has gotten me freaked out. My BF has had a vasectomy, so I don't need the pill for birth control and am seriously considering stopping it to see what happens. I have way too many cute summer clothes that I need to have fit again!

Anyone else have this happen? I'd love to hear some insight from other ladies.

Thanks!

:-)

I used BC to regulate my periods, too. It made my appetite go out of control. I think it's the progesterone. I had to supplement with progesterone early in my pregnancy and I went on a bender. Went to Hardee's and got me a Frisco burger with large fries and literally moaned while I ate it :blush: Pregnant or no, not a proud moment.

Anyway, point is, BC can do awful things with your appetite. Some of my friends have been fine with it but many struggle with an increased appetite. I gained 20 pounds when I took it so I stopped.

No experience with the BC, but you are in the "prime regain years". Statistically, this is the time when regain is most likely to happen. It has been my experience that unless you are an ultra athlete, you can't "excercise" your way out of overeating. The key IS controlling the intake.

I have experienced appetite spikes too and the only thing that worked for me is going back to basics. Upped Protein, reduced carbs, hydrate way beyond the 64 oz a day.... that kind of thing. I think you are smart to tackle it right now while it is a managable regain.

Sounds like things are going great for you overall!

I am 38...had surgery in April of 2015. Made goal within 8 months (over 150 pounds lost). I went on birth control (ortho-tricyclen) 3 months after surgery. My doctors and nurses assure me that BC does not cause weight gain. Literally ever since I have been on it, I ONLY lose weight during the week of my cycle. The day I take that first white pill I gain 2 pounds and it stays until the day before my cycle starts and then it's gone. Before I was losing 10 to 15 pounds that week. This past month I only lost 4 and have already gained that 2 back. What's even crazier is that I go crazy on carbs during my period usually. This past time I didn't because I had a stomach virus and ate NOTHING. I like the BC because I have PCOS and my cycles were crazy before I had surgery.

Since you don't have to be careful about getting pregnant (due to BF) then I would probably go off of them or get a different kind.

I have been on depo for 12-years-ish, which is notoriously associated with weight gain. I use it primarily for control of my cycle- you never get a time of the month, it's awesome! I can say that in the end it all comes down to how much you eat- the bc itself doesn't make you gain, it just makes you hungrier, especially if you aren't used to it. I have been fat and thin on birth control and I have gone off of it for a few months at a time 2-3 times over the last decade and the only time I notice weight fluctuations is when I legitimately eat more. I've been at goal for about 10 months, but if I don't weigh everyday and make immediate adjustments I start gaining. This week I hit 133, which is the "time to stop eating so much" weight for me, so I dropped my intake, was careful with logging my calories, and this morning, two days later I'm back to 131, which is a weight I'm going with fluctuating around. The best way to maintain is to make is an every single day thing.

Also, I noticed the idea of being "fat and happy" when you're in a relationship isn't entirely a stereotype. It's nice to sit at home, hang out with your man, skip the gym sometimes, eat yummy food, go out to nice dinners, and generally be in such a good mood that you don't realize you're gaining weight.

You can get back down to where you were- just really start logging all of your food and workouts and hopefully you see the scale start to move.