Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY after LapBand, 3 weeks post op

In April 2010, I had a lap band placed by Dr. Terry Simpson in Scottsdale AZ. I did well while on the liquid diet and lost about 10 pounds, but as soon as I was able to transition to solids, I encountered many issues. Unfortunately, my body didn't adjust well to the band, and after struggling for 6 months with dehydration and constantly being stuck (and losing only 22 pounds), I elected to remove all of the Fluid and live life as I had before the band.

Fast forward to October 2014. I started to get bad stomach pains and stuck all the time like I did when I had fluid in my band. I was referred to Dr. Podkameni at Banner Estrella (Phoenix). He did a barium contrast study and found that things were passing as expected, but that I did have a a rather large hiatal hernia that could be the culprit. Next step to diagnose pains was en EDG. The EDG results showed that my Lap Band had eroded through my stomach and needed to be removed. I decided after the EDG that Dr. P and I were not a good fit, and coincidentally saw one of his office partners during my follow up; Dr. Flavia Soto. There was an instant connection; I loved her, so she became my new doctor.

In April 2015 I had my Lap Band removed and discussed my options with Dr Soto about how to proceed in life. The band made quite a bit of mess with my stomach, and Dr Soto was concerned that due to the stricture created with the scar tissue, future blockages were a large risk. Combined with the hiatal hernia, we started discussing how a RNY procedure, although never something I had ever considered or thought necessary, would be a very good option for me. I had to wait 4 months to heal from the lap band removal before starting the 3 month MSWL for my insurance to cover the RNY. I was approved for the RNY surgery in November and scheduled to have my RNY on Jan 11, 2016.

The surgery was the least difficult part of this entire journey! I was in very little pain post-op, was up and walking 6 hours after, and went home without any drains, tubes or issues! I took that week (Jan 11-15) off from work and returned the following week ready to resume life as a gastric bypass patient.

On the day of surgery, I was 250.2 and today (3 weeks later) I am 233.5, down 16.7 pounds. I can't believe that in 3 short weeks, I'v already passed 15 pounds! I don't have any issue drinking water/fluids, and find that I can take 2 swallows at a time without incident. Daily Vitamins have become part of my routine, and aside from my nighttime omepriazole, I rarely forget to take them. Aside from only being able to eat tiny portions, I feel 100% normal; like nothing ever happened.

There are a few things that I struggle with on a daily basis though:

1. not drinking when I eat. This will take me quite a while to get down.
  2. drinking the Protein Shakes needed to maintain the 65 g goal my Dr has set
  3. dealing with head hunger
  4. unreal expectations with regards to daily losses. For example, I have been the same weight for 3 days and am.going.insane.
  5. grasping the do's and don't of what to eat in life
  6. BELIEVING that this time I will lose weight
  7. taking compliments that I look good

Anyway, I just found this forum and am very much looking forward to browsing and learning from everyone here!

-Melanie

bodyweight.png?ts=1454684455

Edited by prdmommyof3

Welcome Melanie. It is common for individuals to hit stalls after RNY gastric bypass surgery. So just be patient and the magic will happen. The three most important elements after surgery are meeting your daily Protein, Vitamin and Fluid requirements. food is secondary because your body is using stored fat and converting it into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. The important thing on Protein shakes is to experiment with the different types until you find one that you can tolerate. There are many different options out there, so just keep experimenting with them. I wrote a short article about my experience during the "Weight Loss" phase. Here is a link. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Sounds like you're doing really well! :) It's okay to struggle and feel sort of suspicious that this is actually going to work for you. Just don't let that stop you from taking care of yourself and moving forward with your life. You've got this, and I'm really happy the RNY is helping you in ways the band couldn't. Congratulations on all of your success, and all the success that is to come for you! :D