Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I am 3 days post op and I'm struggling!

I just had surgery on Monday January 18, 2016 and today is my first full day at home. I am in pain and do not feel like eating anything. I'm really disappointed since I thought I was doing great in the hospital (My NUT ran into me while I was walking the halls and she said she thought I was a visitor since I was getting around so well). Now, I am finding that I am feeling more pain than I expected. I'm super concerned since drinking Water is what's hurting the most. I'm scared I will quickly get dehydrated due to lack of fluids. I think it may be gas but taking Gas-X is not helping. Fortunately I am not dealing with the shoulder pain from the gas used during the surgery. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what helped you?

It's tough fotr the first 3 weeks...then you feel like you are getting there.Just take sips of water...,and get up and walk.

What worked for me was walking a lot, using a heating pad while sitting or laying and gas x strips will help with gas as your bowels start working again which also can be painful.

This usually will get better every day, mine was gone after about 5 days but it improved a little everyday.

To keep dehydration at bay which is a vicious cycle you must sip liquids like crazy. Try room temperature liquids. The cold can make your tummy seize up. Keep the cup in your hand and sip every few moments. I swear the number 1 job for the first couple weeks is just sipping liquids.

If you don't do this nausea will set in and you will feel terrible.

If you are nauseous now, call your doctor and ask for something. This will help but it will come back if you don't sip.

If dehydration gets completely away from you, you will need to go in and get IV fluids.

Best of luck, I hope you feel better soon.

I agree with the posters above.

Walking, sipping, sugar free Popsicles, Jello, different temperatures of fluids, and a heating pad should all help.

The sooner you can get in your fluids and Protein the sooner you will start to feel better.

Thanks for your information. I'm still not feeling great but I feel better than I did yesterday. I do have 2 follow up questions. 1.) Does the milk in a Protein Shake count toward your daily liquids? 2.) How long did you guys stop taking your pain meds post-op?

Thanks for your information. I'm still not feeling great but I feel better than I did yesterday. I do have 2 follow up questions. 1.) Does the milk in a Protein shake count toward your daily liquids? 2.) How long did you guys stop taking your pain meds post-op?

1) Yes. I count any non-caffeinated liquid toward my daily Fluid total.

2) I only took pain meds a couple of days after I got home (mostly Tylenol).

I felt great on days two and three in the hospital, good first day home. Then on day two home, I felt awful. It lasted two more days until I got more settled into the liquid routine. It made sense to me because I was on IV pain meds and fluids at the hospital. The fluids kept me going one day after hospital, then I was on my own. It hit me like a ton of bricks. But it gets better! Stick it out and just keep sipping! I wish you the very best!

I took oral pain meds for five days at home. I have a very low pain threshold and I'm a wimp about it. Take them as long as you need them.

Thanks Dar200. My journey has been much like you described. I think the benefits of the hospital wore off and I am now feeling the effects. I am slowly increasing my liquids. I'm not doing as well on my Protein. I am settings small goals and hope I will start to feel better shortly.

Correct.I am 3 weeks out and my Protein and Water intake is a struggle but....doing my best

I'm just over a week out now. Just sip sip sip and yes water/milk will help you towards hydration.

Also I loved Water pre-op but I found it just was not satisfying my thirst post op.

I remember my doctor saying to mix a little diet cordial into the water because for some reason it helps the body metabolise it better after having a bypass.

So I've started doing that and for me it does make the water feel softer and more satisfying.

Also In the first few days I had moments of panic and buyers remorse (I also had a minor complication, I needed a blood transfusion due to unexpected burst blood vessel after the op, but I'm over that now).

I'm now on day 10 and although sometimes frustrated, I'm feeling mostly positive, although admittedly a little weak.

You will get there, just trust in yourself and take the advice which is right for you.

Also for the shoulder pain you may want to try hot packs and paracetamol it helped me.

????????????

Sorry me again.....In regards to increasing your Protein have you tried adding Protein Powder to your meals.

I have been following a nutritionist WLS book and have been making vegetable Soups and adding the powder.< /p>

The soups must be pureed to a liquid so they can be sipped through a straw.....not that I would use a straw.....but just to give you an idea of the consistency.

????

I am a big advocate for pain meds. There is no reason not to take them. Take as long as you need no reason to hurt and be miserable. I took them several days after I got home.

Gosh yes, take your pain meds! Thats what you have them for. Sip sip sip water......youll be fine!

Thank you all!!