Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 52 and having my sleeve on Jan 26th. I'm about 205 now and highest weight was 212 and I'm only 5'2. I'm so close to backing out. I'm so scared of afterward and not getting enough Protein and becoming protein deficient. I'm also very nervous about getting sick and throwing up and just general nausea some experience after surgery. I also have IBSC and am wondering how that's going to go now. Then I think about how out of breath I seem to be by just taking a shower.

I've only told my kids, husband and three close friends(2 of which have been showed)about the surgery. I don't want to hear all the negative comments. I haven't even told my sister's and probably won't until it's over and done with.

I understand your fear. This was my first surgery ever and I had no idea what to expect. I just knew that without surgery I was going to die much sooner and my quality of life couldn't get much worse.

I was sleeved April 20 of 2015 and I couldn't be happier with my surgery, my recovery, and my progress so far.

I still have a long way to go but have already improved my quality of life tremendously.

I experienced very little pain and no nausea. I wouldn't say the first few weeks after surgery were easy but they were much better than I anticipated.

You have to do what is right for you, but for me the worst part of the whole experience is where you are now: that time of uncertainty right before surgery.

Like many people, the only regret I have is that I couldn't do it sooner, but all in all the timing has worked out great for me.

Been there, freaked out, lived and wondered why I freaked out. November 2014 was my date. It has been wonderful. I'm 52 and only regret not doing it earlier.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/page-125?hl=+last++straw#entry4051747

“Don't be afraid of your fears. They're not there to scare you. They're there to let you know that something is worth it.” C. JoyBell C.

If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. Paulo Coelho

“Scared is what you're feeling. Brave is what you're doing.” Emma Donoghue

Here are 1255 reasons why we here on the forum took the plunge:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/?hl=%20final%20%20straw

“Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.” ― Dan Brown
“There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.” George R.R. Martin

“Don't be afraid of being scared. To be afraid is a sign of common sense. Only complete idiots are not afraid of anything.” Carlos R Zafón,

http://www.bariatricpal.com/user/182976-miss-mac/ - Best Winston Churchill quote -

“There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at with no result.”

As a Vet I can attest to it's truthfulness. ;-)

I understand your fear. This was my first surgery ever and I had no idea what to expect. I just knew that without surgery I was going to die much sooner and my quality of life couldn't get much worse.

I was sleeved April 20 of 2015 and I couldn't be happier with my surgery, my recovery, and my progress so far.

I still have a long way to go but have already improved my quality of life tremendously.

I experienced very little pain and no nausea. I wouldn't say the first few weeks after surgery were easy but they were much better than I anticipated.

You have to do what is right for you, but for me the worst part of the whole experience is where you are now: that time of uncertainty right before surgery.

Like many people, the only regret I have is that I couldn't do it sooner, but all in all the timing has worked out great for me.

This is very encouraging - if I get the surgery it would be my first as well (aside from Lasik which doesn't really count). It's really intimidating to have a serious surgery that is elective without any way to gauge expectations. How did you cope?

Edited by ohh_that_girl

I think the things that helped the most were to learn as much as I could and to decide up front to do everything I was asked to do even if I thought I couldn't.

I'm 5'2. My highest weight was 215. I was 196 the day of surgery. I'm 185 as of today 10 days out. I don't think my height had any negative play in how I was after surgery.. It did however make getting into the hospital bed fun. Lol. I am now looking into the future with hope and excitement of how my life is changing.

This is my first time to post. I just found out I was approved yesterday and did my pre op admissions stuff today. My surgery date is also Jan. 26. Like others I am both nervous and excited. I am 63 and just retired from being a high school counselor a year ago. I am usually pretty open with friends and family, but I am really tired of hearing horror stories and stories about people gaining their weight back, so I'm only telling two friends who have been sleeved and are loving life and my immediate family. I just keep telling myself that I need to do this for myself and my future. Sure don't like this liquid diet. It tastes ok, but it doesn't stay with me long and I often feel hungry. But that's ok; it will be worth feeling hungry for a few days!

Hi Oma letting go! I'm 63 as well, it's nice to see someone my age! My date is either 8 or 15 Feb. good luck with your surgery and please let us know how it goes!