Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprise period

I thought I was done with having periods but much to my dismay and chagrin I got mine this week. Mind you my period had all but stopped in mid 2014 but had 1 period in March 2015 so I thought that was it. Anyone else experience this post op? I got laid off in October (hope to be working again this month) but since my surgery on 11/19 everyone tells me how much younger I look. Even my hair has started to get fuller and my coloring has improved. Maybe the surgery was a mini fountain of your or just not having the day to day pressure of work has helped. However, until I hit Powerball this week I have to go back to work or I'll end up living under I- 95 in a box. LOL

Fat stores hormones and can interfere with a woman's cycle and can cause infertility. Some of those hormones, especially progesterone, can make you feel a whole lot better and improve skin/hair as well as increase cycle regularity.

If you are sexually active, make sure you're using precautions as there have been many incidents of pregnancy after surgery due to the loss of fat/hormone flooding that occurs.

Just in case, you should mention it to your gyno. I was told any bleeding after a year or more of none, should be investigated

It's been a whole year since I've had a period. Since I'm 38, I thought that is was menopause. My bariatricin told me a few weeks ago that it was not menopause. Basically, he thinks I don't have enough fat in my body to have a monthly cycle. This seems absurd since I was 200 pounds when it started to cease January 2015. I eat more than enough throughout the day, so it doesn't have anything to with starvation mode or over exercising.

Anyhow, my bariatrican told me not to worry about it since it will return once my weight stabilizes for a long length of time. Well, I've been the same weight since late September, so I'm not sure if he is right. I guess I'll find out sometime in the future.

Yeah, I would ask a gynecologist, not a bariatrician.

As far as restarting after surgery, I had my surgery in August last year (I was 51). Been through menopause already. Surprise! Had a period a short while after surgery, due to the hormone flood.

Now, six months later, I finally get me some action, and I think the flood of hormones and oxytocin told my body that I should have another period. Jeebus!!!

Some women depends on your body stop their period when they are overweight and it returns when they lose. Just like some stop when they are too thin. I would definitely check with your gyno

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

As a nurse practitioner I would tell you to see your gyne right away. In school we were told that any vaginal bleeding after a year of no periods is cancer until proven otherwise. Not trying to scare you but women put these things off and they can get worse. It may be hormone related but I would get it checked.

I thought I was done with having periods but much to my dismay and chagrin I got mine this week. Mind you my period had all but stopped in mid 2014 but had 1 period in March 2015 so I thought that was it. Anyone else experience this post op? I got laid off in October (hope to be working again this month) but since my surgery on 11/19 everyone tells me how much younger I look. Even my hair has started to get fuller and my coloring has improved. Maybe the surgery was a mini fountain of your or just not having the day to day pressure of work has helped. However, until I hit Powerball this week I have to go back to work or I'll end up living under I- 95 in a box. LOL

Oh Goodness! I hope that is,not a side effect. If so I will rethink this sleeve! lol!

I went to the dr and got myself checked and thankfully no problems. Dr. figured it was a release of stored hormones.

Before I had my surgery I was bleeding off and on my doctor said I shouldn't be bleeding, so they did some tests and I had piles in my uterus so I had it removed 2 weeks before my weight loss surgery. Get yourself checked out

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App