Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I losing too slow?

I had surgery on Dec 17 my surgery weight was 238.8 and I am 224 now. I see so many who are losing faster.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Yes, you're losing too slowly. I deem your surgery a complete failure at 3 weeks out.

Just kidding. You're losing just fine. As a matter of fact, I think I had lost the same amount at that point.

My suggestion? Don't worry about how quickly you're losing and just concentrate on hydration and Protein so you can heal properly.

The weight will come off at your body's own pace. Keep following doctors orders and try not to focus too much on the scale for your own sanity. You're doing just fine. Really!

I will try. I just read about 30 and 50 lbs lost and I am worried my progress is slow.

It's all relative. At a starting weight of 238 you will not lose as much as someone who started out at 538. You can't compare raw numbers.

Did someone ask for suggestions? I happen to have two good ones right here in my basket. Take one or both and call someone in the morning.

1. Calculate your average weekly weight loss, then answer the following in private. Is that not good enough? When did you last average that rate? How long have you been overweight? Really, that long? And now there's an emergency to lose rapidly, which, by the way, is what you are doing?

2. Accept that no one is permitted to compete with others who are losing faster unless they have formally registered for the race and pinned their numbers to their singlets.

I will try. I just read about 30 and 50 lbs lost and I am worried my progress is slow.

And so what if it was? (which it's not) Progress is progress.

I'm sorry to sound firm, but I lost on the slower side, and knowing what I know now, all the hand wringing and worrying I did over how slowly I was losing did nothing but hinder me. I finally got to a point where I just accepted it and moved on to more positive aspects of the whole thing, like researching and learning about proper nutrition and excersise to be the healthiest me I could be.

It took me a year to lose 85 pounds, and another several months to lose 8 or 9 more. Now I'm maintaining a healthy weight, and it matters not at this point how long it took me, but that I got there.

You'll get there, too :)

I had surgery on Dec 17 my surgery weight was 238.8 and I am 224 now. I see so many who are losing faster.

Does anyone have suggestions?

I had my surgery 12/1, and have lost 19lbs and couldn't be happier! I weighed 238.6 then, so we pretty much started at the same weight. We can't be compared to someone who weighs 100-200lbs more than us. If you want to compare, which you shouldn't, you could calculate the % lost.

Anyhow plus I don't want to lose too fast bc I want a chance to gain muscle which will counteract the loose skin. The faster u lose the more loose skin ur likely to have. Of course it depends on ur skin elasticity but for me that is true.

Don't rush things, and just focus on what ur doing to get the best results possible. Good luck!

im 4 weeks out and lost seventeen pounds. how many calories do i need to be eating.....im about 1000 a day and i walk for 30 minutes. i want to drop at least 4 pounds in a few weeks!

im 4 weeks out and lost seventeen pounds. how many calories do i need to be eating.....im about 1000 a day and i walk for 30 minutes. i want to drop at least 4 pounds in a few weeks!

I mean this in the kindest way, but please try not to focus on goals that require results (i.e., losing x number of pounds in y number of weeks). What works best to me is to set goals around the inputs that I control rather than the outputs. For instance, a goal to swim laps for an hour four times this week. Or, to drink at least 64 oz of Water a day, etc.

Also, rather than calories, focus on reaching your Protein and Fluid goals and making healthy choices (i.e., avoiding starches and minimizing sugar).

Listen people.....I had lost 17 pounds at 6 weeks and I was THRILLED!!! You know why? Because I had LOST SEVENTEEN POUNDS!! And, BTW, that was just the second time I had weighed myself postop.

This surgery and lifestyle is for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Quit trying to make it into a competition sport. Just stick with the basic Protein, Water and Vitamin requirements, eat healthy, be active, enjoy the NSVs and SOTFS!!! (that stands for STAY. OFF. THE. F*****G. scale, but I'm getting sick of saying it so I gave it it's own initials)

I am 6 weeks out and moaned about my slow weight loss at the beginning. Thanks to my nutritionist and all you wonderful people here you finally convinced me to get off the scale. I've gone from 3x to a 1x that fits loosely in 6 short weeks. I have tried so many diets and felt like a failure. I have lost more weight with this surgery than I was able to do on my own. Even though I haven't weighed myself almost 3 weeks my clothing has gotten looser, my complexion is brighter, I feel and look younger. Don't set yourself up to fail by setting pound goals. The weight will come off. My doctor said that the surgery will only take care of about 65% of the weight you need to lose you will have to work hard for the final 35 (not that the first 65 will be easy, just easier than without surgery).

I was sleeved on 12/16 at 236 and now 223. It's working and when I feel down I listen to all the vets here like @@Babbs