Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone and happy new year!! Hopefully it will be my last one as this big heavy guy...

This subject just dawned on me for the first time.

My surgery is Feb 10th, and I just realized I have NO idea what to expect in terms of cost for the Vitamins I'll be taking the "rest of my life," and what type of Vitamins. I just haven't heard this discussed yet.

So, obviously it's part of the whole deal so what are we talking money wise?? I'd love to hear what people's experience is here, and also if insurances help at all (I'm guessing no...).,

Thank you all antemano, I just LOVE this site because people here are really helpful, the best, Pedrito

Hello. I use Bariatric Advantage Vitamins. One bottle of Multi Vitamins is $37 for a month supply, and one bag of calcium chews is $15 for a month supply.

For me the cost of the extra Vitamins are offset by the negative cost of the prescription medicine that I took before surgery and now no longer need. I also shop for lower prices on Vitamins such as "buy one get one free sales" at local drugstores or using generic brands. For me the cost of Protein supplements (Protein shakes, Protein bars) were significant. But as my meal volume increased, I concentrated on consuming high protein meals and as I reach 1 cup per meal, I have completely taken myself off supplements because I was able to meet my protein requirements on meals alone.

It may be difficult to take vitamins at the beginning because of the inability to swallow. As a result I had to crush my Calcium tablets and that tasted very bad. But after a couple months my ability to swallow returned and things went down much easier. Some people chose vitamins based on taste. This is especially true on calcium supplements. But that approach can costs more. I just endure with the inconvenience.

Thanks for the above comments, plus a friend who is five years out and looks great said that the cost of Protein powders and Vitamins is way offset by the save in medications as mentioned above but also by how I'll save in food, that did it! That calmed me down and I believe her. Starting to get a bit nervous/excited for surgery on Feb 10th@@

Patchmd.com .. A life saver for me. $20 a month. I started with 3 different Vitamins that were chewable, the taste made me gag. My nutritionist told me about the patch, change it once a day on the back of my shoulder. Yay

Hi, Im preparing to have surgery and am at the stage I need to get my Vitamins to be prepared I saw some things online about that patch. Does it really work and do you just take separate Calcium? That sure would be alot easier.

I asked if I had to take anything else, she said no. My next blood work will tell if anything extra is needed. The Calcium comes in a patch too.

Wow, this sounds great if it's doctor approved.

20 bucks a month is very cheap

My doctor and nutritionist put me onto optisource chewable Vitamins & Mineral Supplement. It is made by Nestles Health Science division. 4 chewable tablets daily contains all the Calcium, Iron, B12, thiamine, and folate recommended by my weight loss team. The cost of this is $27 from Amazon with 5-15% saving if you do Subscribe and Save through your Prime membership.

http://www.amazon.com/Optisource-Chewable-Vitamin-Mineral-Supplement/dp/B00CJB9K4K

http://www.nestlenutritionstore.com/products/Post-Bariatric-Surgery-Nutrition/OPTISOURCE-Chewable-Vitamin-Mineral-Supplement.html#.Vogo1NKrTcs

Edited by jj7481

Thanks so much, I haven't bought anything yet, no Protein Shakes powders or Vitamins but I guess I should soon. My surgery is Feb 10th, in 36 days... oooh just saying that gave me my very first touch of nervousness. Part of it is that I'm a big baby (and a recovering addict) and am concerned about pain and its management. well I've already got people in place who will dole out any pain meds that must come home

I use BariActiv. I have a prescription for B12 nose spray I use weekly and the Vitamins come with it. I pay $25 a month and insurance pays the rest. The vitamins are chewable.

I plan to use opurity Vitamins, partly because their website shares a cart with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, where I get my Protein. They have 2 bariatric formulas:

A once-daily chewable, which I plan to use for at least the first 3 months after surgery...

http://www.opurity.com/opurity/opurityr-bypass-sleeve-optimized-chewable

...and a 4x/daily capsule, which I'll be using pre-op to build my Vitamin stores (when I run out of old Vitamins in a few days anyway), and after surgery once I'm given the green light to swallow them.

http://www.opurity.com/opurity/opurityr-complete-capsules-for-gastric-sleeve-gastric-bypass-and-gastric-band

The capsules have much higher D, B12, and Iron, which is why I plan to switch back to them as soon as I am able. Either formula is $39.95 for a 3 month supply ($13.32/mth). After that all I should need is a Calcium supplement, which I also plan to get in chewable form from Opurity for $13.95/mth. One stop shopping means I'm more likely to keep everything in stock! As for the Protein, I find its cost to be negligible, and I don't exactly buy the cheapest I can find. With all of the meals and Snacks they are replacing, if anything my food bill has gone down, not up (accounting for the cost of the protein too, of course).

ive been looking and i saw a months supply of the twinlab Vitamins for about 40 bucks on Amazon. i plan on using the new Centrum vitamints and as far as i can tell they are about 14 bucks for a months supply they are chewable. the Calcium pearls from citrical which are like 12 bucks for a whole month and i havent priced out the b-12 i will need also i am buying some chewable Biotin which is like 10 bucks for two months

I take liquid vitamins ....one thing I can say...good Vitamins don't run cheap.