Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me we can still have it! I'm assuming I'll need to follow the liquid rules as far as slow sipping and non-carbonated goes, and I know it's just empty calories, but we can still have it afterwards, right?? Otherwise I'm going to need ALL your unused pain meds to help me survive my children's teen years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i was told no booze for a year some have been told 6 months it all depends on your surgeon just make sure you look into transfer addiction and be sure not to be the driver when you drink because you really dont know how it will affect you

I never drink and drive, and I have a wonderful support system at home, just going to miss watching a movie with a few beers with my hubby on a Friday night!

I'm also in therapy, started 3 years ago. Planning for knitting to be my transfer addiction, right now I only knit for a couple of hours a day, so I'll have more time for it once I've divorced food.

Edited by Trillian

Planning for knitting to be my transfer addiction,

I was planning on excercise and sex to be my transfer addictions but neither really worked out for me ;)

As for booze, yes, you will be able to drink again. I treat it like any other carb and indulge in moderation. Personally, I can't tolerate beer or other carbonated drinks at all, but ice cold Apple Crown Royal goes down just fine! Oh yea, and a Bloody Mary counts as a veggie.

Edited by Kindle

I was planning on excercise and sex to be my transfer addictions but neither really worked out for me ;)

Now that's an addiction right there. But I say no to excersice lol

My surgeon told me that it was allowed but to make sure to consume with moderation because it is empty calories and can affect overall weight loss. Alcohol is absorbed in the intestines, so after gastric sleeve surgery the alcohol also reaches your bloodstream faster.

I've consumed some alcohol on occasion and learned that I can drink a light beer or two, but I have to pour it into a glass and let the carbonation fully exit. Pouring fast for a large, foaming head helps that happen. I can also tolerate uncarbonated mixed drinks like a vodka with cranberry juice without any issues. So far I've stayed away from anything carbonated other than the beer.

Three things to note: 1) there is still carbonation in the beer which can slow consumpiton and possibly make for some uncomfortability; 2) the alcohol does affect me sooner - the feeling I used to get after 4 or 5 drinks pre-surgery now hits me after 1 or 2; and 3) I've found if I have more than one occasional alcoholic drink it does slow down my weight loss, as it is extra calories and since they are liquid they don't limit my hunger or solid food intake.

To me it is basically a moderation thing - if you can have an occasional alcoholic drink or two worked into your nutrition plan and still maintain the weight loss targets you seek then you should be fine. If you have challenges moderating alcohol intake then it is probably best to stay away from it entirely.

Edited by shriner37

just going to miss watching a movie with a few beers with my hubby on a Friday night!

I'm also in therapy, started 3 years ago. Planning for knitting to be my transfer addiction, right now I only knit for a couple of hours a day, so I'll have more time for it once I've divorced food.

This should get you over it:

Such an attractive image, you-all belching on the couch for a couple three hours.

In addition to the issues of basic healing time, the prospect of transfer addiction, and "cheap drunk" tolerance changes the other biggie that tickles some docs more than others is liver health - as WLS patients, our livers usually aren't in the best of shape due to our obesity (hence the number of surgeons who put their patients through those "liver shrinking" pre-op diets,) and the extra load that the liver takes in metabolizing that fat that we are burning off doesn't leave it much margin for handling the added load of metabolizing the alcohol, which after all, is a liver toxin (that's not a moral judgement, it's just biology - there are plenty of things that we consume in small quantities that are toxic in larger amounts,) My doc is a bit more anal about this than most as he also does liver transplants in his spare time and doesn't want to see his bariatric patients coming back on his transplant table. His rule (which we sign up to when signing up with him) is no alky while in the weight loss phase; after that, moderation is fine once the liver has regained the ability to do its' job (though in his view, ideally never...)

Those are the issues, we are all adults, take if for what you will.

It's all about moderations. I had surgery on 11/7 three years ago & my doctor advised I could have a half of glass of wine by New Years Eve. She just told me not to drive & watch my surroundings since I was a "light weight." I took just 2 sips to bring in the new year & toast for my husband's birthday. I tolerated it pretty well with it being only almost 2 months after surgery.

Now 3 yrs post op & I can tolerate one or 2 glasses of wine. Depending on how slow I drink it or my stress level. Often times, just one glass gets me a little tipsy & that will be my limit. & I'm ok with that.

I've just been afraid to try beer because of the bubbly & yeast content. I heard it could be painful for some folks. I just didn't want to take a chance. I do miss having a cold one, but I've chosen to stay away from it.

I have a close associate that has had WLS that replaced her food addiction with alcohol. And is having a difficult time coping. So you just have to be careful.

Good luck.

Edited by Tiny One

In addition to the issues of basic healing time, the prospect of transfer addiction, and "cheap drunk" tolerance changes the other biggie that tickles some docs more than others is liver health - as WLS patients, our livers usually aren't in the best of shape due to our obesity (hence the number of surgeons who put their patients through those "liver shrinking" pre-op diets,) and the extra load that the liver takes in metabolizing that fat that we are burning off doesn't leave it much margin for handling the added load of metabolizing the alcohol, which after all, is a liver toxin (that's not a moral judgement, it's just biology - there are plenty of things that we consume in small quantities that are toxic in larger amounts,) My doc is a bit more anal about this than most as he also does liver transplants in his spare time and doesn't want to see his bariatric patients coming back on his transplant table. His rule (which we sign up to when signing up with him) is no alky while in the weight loss phase; after that, moderation is fine once the liver has regained the ability to do its' job (though in his view, ideally never...)

Those are the issues, we are all adults, take if for what you will.

You make a very good point about the liver being under stress while metabolising our excess fat as we lose it, that wasn't something I'd considered.

I don't have an addictive personality, least not to the point of self-destruction. Yarn it is!

You'll all need to hand over those pain meds too, I've got two tween daughters skidding through the best bit of adolescence right now...

I've got a cabinet full of tramadol, hydro, oxy, Valium and Xanax. Most of them are long expired, but they probably still work. And I'm getting my gallbladder removed on Wednesday so I'm sure they'll prescribe another big bottle of something.

It's probably safe to say I'm not addicted to pain meds. I just never got the appeal....maybe I'm doing it wrong. :(. Although the Valium and Xanax are nice when I just need to turn myself "off" and get a much needed good night's sleep.

But I'm curious...are you drug seeking for yourself or to spike your daughter's beverages? I guess either would work.

Edited by Kindle

It's a bit of a rollercoaster, so I'm planning to keep my options open.

In all honesty, I'm a suburban housewife, I know exactly which doctors are script-happy, it's not really my thing either! I suspect my surgery will inspire some creative coping mechanisms though. Then I'll pour my energy into my PhD and ultimately develop a frosty tallboy pill for my bariatric buds.

I turned 21 years old a month before my surgery. I had my surgery in May. I drink occasionally now! Even told my doctor and they're okay with it as long as I don't abuse it and become dependent on it.