Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don’t go out to eat at restaurants very often; I prepare my own meals. It occurred to me, though, that I very rarely actually cook “real” dishes. Breakfast might be something like instant oatmeal and a container of yogurt; lunch could be a salad with some sardines or tuna, and dinner might be Beans and veggies, or a vegetable stir fry made with tofu or veggie burger patties.

But I don’t think that qualifies as “real” cooking! I guess I don’t really feel like taking the time to make gourmet meals, so I use convenience foods – although healthy ones – instead.

Do you cook a lot? What do you make? Do you cook nightly? Or do you make, portion, and freeze big batches on weekends? Also…are you cooking just for yourself, or do you have a family to cook for?

I cook 2-3 times a week and make enough for leftovers. Tonight is Slow Cooker chicken Parmesan Soup. We have "scrounge" nights where we will just find something frozen or cook some eggs or whatever.

I cook for myself and my son. Hubby cannot eat by mouth and is on a feeding tube permanently.

I make a weekly menu. Use the menu to shop for ingredients (what veggies do we need, meat etc.). We generally cook 6 out of 7 days.

@@Alex Brecher I cook every stinking day! I to funny that I came home and read this because I was just telling my daughter how crazy it was that we just went to Springfield to buy a new stethoscope and didn't stop to eat. We never went to town before surgery without going out to eat. I didn't even notice until I was a mile from the house. It never even crossed my mind. I have chicken and veggies baking in the oven right now. I just prefer to know what I'm eating. Do you have a wife? I cook for myself but also my husband prefers homemade food too.

I don't cook much, but I regularly cook for dinner on Sunday's for my husband & I. Typically its chicken, turkey, lamb or once in a while a very very lean beef. Along with some sort of vegetables. And it's usually enough leftovers that last until Tuesday. Though we may order in, dine out or pickup dinner for the other days, I select from the healthier choices while trying to encourage my husband to do the same. Sometimes he make the same choices & sometimes he won't. I appreciate when he does...

On Sunday's, I also cook some sort of fish for my lunch for the week. I'll pack that along with a cup of salad or green vegetables.

I'm only about three months post-op, so I'm still in the mindset of "measure and record absolutely everything" on Myfitnesspal. There have been a few times now where I started planning a crock pot batch of Soup, or chili, etc only to remember that I have no way of having exact measurements of every ingredient and I sort of give up. I suppose, for now, I will be sticking to convenient, measured (healthy!) food. :)

I'm only about three months post-op, so I'm still in the mindset of "measure and record absolutely everything" on Myfitnesspal. There have been a few times now where I started planning a crock pot batch of Soup, or chili, etc only to remember that I have no way of having exact measurements of every ingredient and I sort of give up. I suppose, for now, I will be sticking to convenient, measured (healthy!) food. :)

MFP has a recipe builder where you can enter your own recipe and get the stats per serving.

If cooking means collecting various ingredients, following a recipe and puttting something in the oven, stove or crockpot, then I MIGHT cook 1-2 times/month. Otherwise I'm all about local deli takeout, (they homemake everything on-site every morning), Sam's Club prepared meals, quick 1-2 ingredient meals and heating frozen veggies and Entrees in the microwave. On those rare occasions that I do cook I make a lot, separate into individual servings, vacuum seal and freeze.

BTW I'm happily single!

Edited by Kindle

Cooking relaxes me. I have always been a "foodie" and loved trying new recipes, being a hostess, making food for my neighbors and stocking my freezer with "home-made convenience" meals.

This didn't change after surgery.

The only difference now is my portion is much smaller, my recipe choices and meals are Protein dense and I keep an eye on my carb count.

I cook 4-5 times a week, many of those times are with friends/family and I make sure nothing goes to waste.

I don't really "cook" either but I am trying to do more. I usually "fix" something. Pre-surgery, I ate a lot of frozen meals, sandwiches and Cereal. No wonder I needed surgery.

I have a small kitchen without a stove, so when I "cook" I have to use various appliances: microwave, toaster oven, panini press, rice cooker, slow cooker, electric skillet, and a portable burner. I also don't have a lot of counter space and I HATE doing dishes, so I usually use what is easiest.

I did broil a steak tonight in my toaster oven and heated up green Beans and steamed a sweet potato in the microwave. I haven't cooked steak in YEARS (if ever).

MFP has a recipe builder where you can enter your own recipe and get the stats per serving.

I just discovered that MFP can import recipes from other sites. My chicken Parm Soup from Food52 is under 200 calories.

i loved to cook before surgery and that hasn't changed. i just have omitted all of the things my program wanted me to omit and eat a tiiiiiiny amount right now. I have baked salmon and veggies, chicken and veggies, made a stew in my crock pot (low carb, of course), made soft scrambled eggs, etc etc. I bought a bunch of little 4oz ball jars and pack left overs into them so i have meals to take to work and school. i currently eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of one of these jars (2-3oz) and always eat the Protein first.

I rarely eat out, but I don't actually cook more than once or twice a week. It's just my husband and one college age daughter at home, so they are on their own, for the most part ;) I do try to keep plenty of healthy, easy to prep or convenience foods at home.

Before surgery, I used to love to cook and bake, and eat and feed people. I spent an inordinate amount of time planning, collecting, and preparing food. Even when I was "on a diet", I would do that. I know that contributed to my obesity, so now I just limit my exposure to food. I have a hard time not grazing and tasting. I think this change is a big contributor to my success.

I never cooked before surgery. I mean I could but I rarely did unless it was for a holiday. I truly hate cooking just for one because I wasn't crazy about left-overs. I am finding post-op though that I really need to try to cook more. When I am just grabbing convenience food, I tend to stand in front of the fridge and think "hmm what sounds good?" Yea that is an old school habit and slippery slope for me, so just this week I realized I need to have some more things prepared. So, today I made buffalo chicken salad (ok that's not really cooking but preparing), Magic Crust Quiches in mini-muffins (thanks to @beachgal) and am going to make some sort of chicken, marinara, cheese, veggie stuff tonight and put in individual servings for dinner this week. If I make any more than these 3 things, I won't be able to finish it.