Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG vs Gall Bladder Removal

Kindle

just wanted some feedback from anyone that has had both VSG and cholecystectomy surgeries. What was your recovery time for both? Was one easier than the other?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having my gall bladder removed on Nov 25. My surgeon's office just informed me he wants me to take 3 weeks off work and no lifting more than 5 pounds during that time. I'm a little freaked out because I just gotta say that is NOT gonna work for me. I had heard laproscopic cholecystectomies were pretty easy recoveries and I only planned to take 5 days off over Thanksgiving. There's flat out NO WAY I can take off 3 weeks. If I don't go to work, business is closed. It's simply not an option. BTW I only took 7 days off after VSG and had no problems. I had a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 weeks and that was doable. 5 pounds is not realistic since I've got horses to feed and hell, my cat weighs more than 5 pounds!

I already disliked this surgeon after our first meeting and now he's really pissing me off. How can a non-emergency gall bladder removal on a healthy, fit, thin patient be more traumatic than an obese patient with high blood pressure having 80% of their stomach removed?

I had my gallbladder out laproscopically and it was painful and it took me at least 7 days before I could even sleep flat in my bed and I didn't go back to work until about two weeks out. My VSG was a cakewalk compared to the gallbladder removal. BUT the gallbladder was taken out something like 20 years ago, and I'd like to think they've improved things considerably since then. I would think if you had a desk job with little movement, you'd be okay as long as you could go home early if you start feeling bad.

The weight restriction does sound right, tho. I was not allowed to lift more than 5-10 pounds for at least two weeks after either of my surgeries, so you might want to get some help for at least two weeks. Or be very very careful and move slowly and try to reduce the weight of the feed in the horse buckets even if that means making two or three trips.

I know my main pain/discomfort was because of the trapped gas used to inflate the abdomen during the surgery and my VSG doc said he specifically made sure to get as much of that gas out of there as possible since he was aware of the pain from that in early recovery. I didn't even have to take pain meds after my VSG.

I don't know but these activity restrictions are impossible when you own horses, dogs and a fat cat. I just had an implant removed and was told I had no activity restrictions. 3 days post op I did some much needed farm chores, had problems...called surgeon's office and they sre like "you can't do that much yet" So apparently no restriction meant I could work the remote and load the dishwasher...they have no idea!

My gall bladder was removed two months after band surgery. I don't recall whether one was appreciably more painful than the other. I don't remember anything about the degree of pain, but the gall bladder had to go.. I only remember that once the gall bladder began to cause discomfort, it rapidly enough progressed to the necessity for surgery. The stones had been detected 25 years earlier when what appeared to be acute appendicitis was being confirmed before I was rolled to the OR.

If you're having the surgery as preventive measure and have no symptoms, I think it would be safe to wait until you can arrange coverage for work and other responsibilities. You had a easy enough VSG, but there's really no way to predict an individual's recovery time even when there is a long history of patients. If the organ has been mildly painful, you really don't want to postpone more than a few weeks. If more than mildly, go in.

You don't want to hear this, but my only suggestion, not knowing your life, is that you corral everyone you know to pitch in -- work on the business, care for the animals and whatever else. You can direct without laboring. The surgeon didn't say three weeks to be mean or ruin you. It may turn out that you can at least begin resuming some normal activity sooner, but be prepared.

@@CowgirlJane -- understood, but then there's the other reality. It is a dilemma.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@Kindle I just had my gallbladder out a few weeks ago (and am 7 months post op VSG). I found the gallbladder surgery much easier to recover from. I went back to work 5 days after, which was too soon but I was back to myself in about 10-1 days. I found sitting to be the hardest because of where the incisions were.

I assume it is like VSG in that everyone has a different experience, but I hope you have an easier than expected surgery and recovery as I did. I was in so much pain from my gallbladder beforehand I am relieved to know I won't have attacks again.

Best of luck to you!

I had my gall bladder removed at the same time I had my VSG six weeks ago. The first two days I was very sick with nausea and pain. My gall bladder was in very poor condition and infected so I was given high levels of antibiotics which the surgeon thought would have contributed to the nausea.

By day 4 I felt human again and just continued to improve from there.

I was in hospital for three nights.

I was back to work after my emergency gall bladder removal in 2 weeks, but I think I could have gone back sooner. I found it less painful the than the VSG, honestly.

Thanks all for your replies. As for necessity of the surgery, I have had 4 severe attacks in the last year. Multiple Ultrasounds show more and more stones (I had none 18 months ago and now I have many). Believe me, I don't want surgery and I could live with the two hours of the most painful experience ever during my attacks every few months. But I don't want to be caught in the situation of one of the stones getting stuck in the duct and I have to be rushed to emergency surgery. Not to mention my pancreatic enzymes were extremely elevated after the last attack.

Yes, I could get help at home with the horses and dogs, but no one can do my job. I am partners in a mobile veterinary practice, and it's just myself and the vet. Besides being the tech, I am the receptionist, office manager, driver, accounts receivable, after hours answering service, maintenance staff, and as the only certified veterinary technician in the county, truly, no one can do my job. We usually work 10-12 hours/day so trying to play catchup after being closed is nearly impossible. We work sick (colds, flus, bronchitis, C. diff diarrhea, even viral pericarditis) we work injured (dislocated shoulder, broken toe, broken fingers, bite wounds, impinged cervical nerves) because missing work is worse. That is why I scheduled my cholecystectomy the day before Thanksgiving and why I had my VSG over Christmas. I actually only had to miss 3 days of work, and those were the first "sick days" either one of us had taken in over 5 years.

It just irritates me how this surgeon's office has handled everything. I literally met with the guy for 15 minutes, and after insulting me about going to Mexico for my VSG, he scheduled surgery, told me to show up at 7am and no food after 8pm the night before. That's it! Oh yeah, he did have his nutritionist contact me (he does WLS as well) because he was sure I needed better guidelines on how to eat properly. The fact I've lost all of my excess weight, maintained for over a year, have perfect labs (except the pancreas stuff) and am probably strong enough to take him in a wrestling match was completely lost on him. BTW, When the nut called and talked to me she concluded I was doing great and didn't need her help.

As for my upcoming surgery I have had to call the office multiple times for more pre and postop instructions. That's how I found out about these postop restrictions. Otherwise they never said a thing. I guess I'm just going to hope for the best and do what my body lets me do. I only hope this surgeon is 1/2 as skilled as my Mexico surgeon. (my PCP said he's very good, that's why I'm putting up with his shit). But if weren't for the fact insurance is actually picking up the tab on this one I would certainly be headed back to TJ!

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant.

Edited by Kindle

Hi Kindle, i had my gall bladder removed 3 months after i had VSG surgery. Recovery for me was about the same pain wise, however i was on strict advice to not lift anything greater than 5 lbs for 5 whole weeks. That was the most frustrating thing. I followed the doctors instructions and had no issues. I was very lucky my late mother was with me to help me for those 5 weeks.

I had my gall bladder out about 2 years before my VSG. At the time, I was an exceptional needs teacher teaching emotionally disturbed (read that angry with physical outbursts) children.

I planned my surgery the Tuesday before Turkey Day (Wednesday was a half day at our school and pretty useless). I was home four hours after surgery and felt sore but no pain. My physical limitations were not to vacuum, lift more than 15 pounds or get punched in the front for at least two weeks.

I was driving on Wednesday, used my surgery as an excuse to skip Thanksgiving with the in-laws and went black Friday people watching to walk the mall a bit. I went back to work on Monday, was nearly dead with exhaustion so I stayed out Tuesday and then did a half day that Wednesday. Back to full time on Thursday to a physically and emotionally rough job and was fine.

I had my gall bladder out about 2 years before my VSG. At the time, I was an exceptional needs teacher teaching emotionally disturbed (read that angry with physical outbursts) children.

I planned my surgery the Tuesday before Turkey Day (Wednesday was a half day at our school and pretty useless). I was home four hours after surgery and felt sore but no pain. My physical limitations were not to vacuum, lift more than 15 pounds or get punched in the front for at least two weeks.

I was driving on Wednesday, used my surgery as an excuse to skip Thanksgiving with the in-laws and went black Friday people watching to walk the mall a bit. I went back to work on Monday, was nearly dead with exhaustion so I stayed out Tuesday and then did a half day that Wednesday. Back to full time on Thursday to a physically and emotionally rough job and was fine.

Good to hear. At least I only have to go back to angry dogs and cats. We'll postpone the pissed off horses and cows for a few weeks.

@@Kindle

The surgeon sounds like an ass. But most of them are. The surgeon who did my husbands RNY was the one who did my gall bladder surgery. What I didn't say in my origional post was I had to go out of work after I got back because of an absess I developed post surgery. He was hesitant to beleive it, even though I flat out didn't feel well and had a fever. An ultra sound (I think but I can't remember) confirmed. Drain tube for 6 weeks. Go to get drain tube taken out.....leak in bile duct. Procedure to put a stent in for another 6 weeks. Then stent taken out, but I was finally back to work by then.

Moral of the story: Just don't over do it when you go back, because complications, although rare, can happen. I know I didn't get the absess from going back to work, but who knows how the bile duct developed a leak?

Yeah, my simple gall bladder surgery turned into kind of a nightmare.

@@Kindle

I was a teacher when I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. I had surgery on a Friday was back to school on Monday and took no pain meds because they made me nauseous. I think my lifting restriction was 15 pounds. Both the VSG and cholecystectomy were pretty easy recoveries for me. Since your recovery from VSG was pretty easy I would guess that your recovery from this surgery will be as well.

@@Babbs thanks for sharing. Sorry you had such a rough time and I'm sure that was quite a blow to your surgeons ego.

I was so ticked at the lack of info from my surgeon that I called my PCP this morning. He just laughed and said yes, the guy is an ass but he is a very good surgeon with all good outcomes. Guess that's what's important.