Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I posted that I got an early weekend, and was given Friday and the weekend off from work, my 90 day follow up ( it was delayed by a month because of scheduling with my surgeon ) went too well, so I need opinions and help ( I won't get offended) first my dietician was upset because I told her I started drinking natural fruit juices, I drink them 2 or 3 times a week, about a cup, I am more regular and feel better, she said NO!!!, then my surgeon said I was at 277lbs ( I weigh myself at work and I thought 280lbs) so I've lost 32% of my total body weight and my BMI is down from 56% to 42%, I started at 388lbs in January and was 346.2 on my surgery date June 10th, basically he says I'm doing too good since I'm 2 months ahead of where I should be, then he said I would be upset on my first stall, and was shocked when I said I already had one, so basically they want me to slow down, I feel like I can't since I'm not doing myself harm short or long term, I think I'm just really addicted to all the gym, and healthier lifestyle thing, I love that I can actually see my muscles growing and can see definition, give me your take on this, BTW I'm only 82lbs from goal weight, and it is getting harder but it's not phasing me at all......

I say listen to your dietitian with respect to fruit juices. That's basically mainlining sugar right into your system. You'll get more nutritional benefits and less sugar issues by eating whole fruit. Also, you don't want to get in the habit of drinking your calories. Weight loss seems easy now, but it won't necessarily stay that way, and drinking calories is an easy way to derail your weight loss or maintenance.

As far as your doctor wanting you to slow your weight loss down . . . I am not one to tell someone to disregard the advice of their medical team. But I can tell you, if I thought I had a health care professional who wanted me to lose weight slower than I could (in a healthy fashion), I might fire them. I would ask myself, am I being healthy? And be honest about my nutrition intake, energy levels, and ability to attend to all my obligations in a normal way. For example, if I were exercising so much that I was skipping work or ignoring my family, that would be a problem. If I were eating so little that I had no energy and was suffering nutrient deficiencies, that would also be a problem. But if I was feeling good and energetic, living a normal life, and eating in a healthy fashion, I would at the very least seek a second opinion from another doctor about whether I needed to "slow down" my weight loss.

On the other hand, I think your words about how you "can't" slow down your weight loss, and that you are "addicted" to the gym and a healthy lifestyle are a bit concerning as well. Not being in control of your eating and exercise is not good, whether you are losing weight or gaining, IMO.

Eating whole fruit is better than drinking juice. Drinking juice you are basically just straight drinking sugar, even it is natural. You need the Fiber in the whole fruit.

Did your doctor specify why you needed to slow down ?

That would be critical information.

If there is no safety reasons and you like what you are doing, then why stop?

You may be losing quicker than they expected due to your high activity level in the gym. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your new self so well.

If the juice (sugar water) is your only vice.....well.....so be it. It's not like you are drinking it daily. I'll bet your NUT would get off your case, though, if you did like the folks above suggested and just took in fruit vs juice.< /p>

Fun times.

Everyone has already offered really good advice. I'll join the chorus: skip the juice, eat the whole fruit instead. Less sugar and way more fiber.

I was told to not drink my fruit. Fresh apples or pears are especially helpful for keeping things moving.

Three cups of juice a week is not a big deal....as long as you're talking about the measurement size cups and not a giant cup of fruit juice. I don't really like juice and fruit makes me sick, but 3-4 times a week I drink a can of the Pellegrino Blood Orange stuff which is juice with carbonated Water. It's good, I like it, so I drink it.

I'm not a big rule follower, but if three cups of juice a week makes you feel better, go for it.

Do you! There you go! Real helpful I know but I've learned to listen to my body. Nobody lives in this body but me so I take suggestions but ultimately do what's best for me. I figure eventually all these people will fade away and I will be left with me so I may as well figure me out. Does that even make any sense? I swear I haven't been drinking....that's against the rules!!

I appreciate all the feedback, I guess the only negative is the juice thing, I think it's my go to for missing missing Desserts and sweets, I don't like chocolate candy and I really have been faithful to my diet, but my energy level and bowel movements are in check since I have began drinking them, I'll have to take a closer look at it, especially since I never crave fresh fruit except grapes, I would be concerned about the timeline on my weight loss except I work out very hard at the gym, I do weight training, core, strength and recently mastered aerobic circuit training, which is why I will have to keep taking Protein Powder after I'm past this, I would be more concerned if I had been told by my PCP that I am deficient, but so far I've gotten high marks on my blood tests except my Vitamin D and cholesterol that was "slightly elevated" these great answers will help me decide what to do, I did feel bad after the post that I failed to mention that on my past diets I lost significant amounts of weight in a short time, I think something like 60lbs in 3 months, I need to call my surgeon about this since maybe it is how my body works, the difference is I am not gaining it back this time....... Thank you all

Edited by laguerr13

My concern with fruit juices is similar to yours. They can be a gateway drug to sweets. You may want to play around with it and come up with a workable compromise. I like grapefruit juice. I know most people don't but I have an unusual palate. Once a week on Sunday's I have a proper Breakfast and I'll have 4 -6 ounces.

Did you tell your doctor your past history if rapid weight loss?

Either way. You now have key items to monitor. Overall it sounds like you are doing well.

My gateway is caffeine, and I can't even go near Energy drinks, I hate going into convenience stores and seeing the coolers lined with them, Friday night my wife made burgers and chips, and I bought them donuts for dessert, and I was craving a Monster Energy Drink the whole time, I don't crave sweets much, but caffeine..... Yeah that's bad

So I posted that I got an early weekend, and was given Friday and the weekend off from work, my 90 day follow up ( it was delayed by a month because of scheduling with my surgeon ) went too well, so I need opinions and help ( I won't get offended) first my dietician was upset because I told her I started drinking natural fruit juices, I drink them 2 or 3 times a week, about a cup, I am more regular and feel better, she said NO!!!, then my surgeon said I was at 277lbs ( I weigh myself at work and I thought 280lbs) so I've lost 32% of my total body weight and my BMI is down from 56% to 42%, I started at 388lbs in January and was 346.2 on my surgery date June 10th, basically he says I'm doing too good since I'm 2 months ahead of where I should be, then he said I would be upset on my first stall, and was shocked when I said I already had one, so basically they want me to slow down, I feel like I can't since I'm not doing myself harm short or long term, I think I'm just really addicted to all the gym, and healthier lifestyle thing, I love that I can actually see my muscles growing and can see definition, give me your take on this, BTW I'm only 82lbs from goal weight, and it is getting harder but it's not phasing me at all......

I call bullshit on the bolded, underlined part. How in the world could any surgeon predict what a WLS patient's "ideal" rate of weight loss would / should be. I've never, ever, ever seen anywhere from anyone a weight loss rate chart that describes "success." I've read thousands of WLS patients' descriptions / tickers that reveal how fast they lose. And the variation is huge! Yet many of them still reach their weight loss goal and maintain their weight long-term.

You sound like exercise is doing you a world of good -- physically, mentally, emotionally.

And yes, I'd choose fruit instead of juice. But as long as you know that's something to keep your eye on, go ahead and do now what works for you for now. One thing I have accepted for myself is that what's working well for me now may not be what works well for me long-term. I'm willing to be responsible for changing things up if things change.

I think you're doing awesome!